DIY Campaign Style Nightstands – Ikea Rast Hack

Campaign Style Nightstands - Ikea Rast Hack

This is probably the easiest way to dress up a plain ole’ Ikea Rast Nightstand, other than just painting it. I really like these nightstands because they provide a good amount of storage. Six, good sized, extra drawers for 2 nightstands is pretty impressive and definitely helped us when trying to find storage in this small bedroom. Also, for $34.99, they can’t be beat. The only problem is, they’re not very cute when you buy them. They need some dressing up for sure. Today I’m going to show you have to make them super cute and it’s super easy!

Campaign Style Nightstands - Ikea Rast HackMaterials:

Ikea Rast Chest of Drawers

Wood Filler

Sandpaper

Paint

12 – 2″ Corner Braces*

3 – Cup Drawer/Cabinet Pulls*

**If your corner braces and drawer pulls don’t match, spray paint them to match. I did that because I wanted mine gold.

Instructions:

1. First, assemble your nightstand according to the directions. Do not install the drawer pulls that it comes with.

2. Use wood filler (according to the directions on the bottle) and fill the predrilled holes on the drawer fronts. When dry, sand them smooth with sandpaper.

3. Paint your nightstand whatever color you’d like. I used white and poured a little bit of Behr’s Canton Jade into the white to give it just a hint of mint color.

4. When the paint is completely dry, install your corner braces. This was the most time consuming part, believe it or not because there are 48 screws! Sheesh!

5. Measure for the center of the drawer and install your drawer pulls. We drilled holes for the screws after measuring where the center was and installed them pretty quickly.

DIY Campaign Style Nightstands - Ikea Rast Hack | www.classyclutter.net

As you can see up close, we got a little lazy on the second night stand and realized the braces stay fine without all 48 screws. I dunno about you but I’m cool with skipping a few of the 96 screws on 2 nightstands. 😉 Here’s what they look like on either side of my bed. I really just love them!

DIY Campaign Style Nightstands - Ikea Rast Hack | www.classyclutter.net

I just bought a 3rd Ikea Rast to dress up for my boys’ room makeover that I’m working on. I took a little different approach on that one. Can’t wait to show you!

DIY Campaign Style Nightstands - Ikea Rast Hack | www.classyclutter.net

If you want to save this project tutorial, pin the image above to your favorite Pinterest board.

Mallory Bombshell Sig.png

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Liz Fourez
    June 24, 2014 at 7:55 am

Super cute! Love that color and the gold accents!
    Liz Fourez recently posted…Time to Sparkle Link Party #66My Profile

Jess E
    June 24, 2014 at 9:31 am

We recently revamped a RAST dresser ourselves! 😀 Made is look mid century in style by staining the outside in Kona brown stain and painting the drawer fronts white. We added tapered legs.

Katie @ Made to be a Momma
    June 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm

So fun! Sadly my nearest Ikea is about 1 1/2 hours from my house—can you believe I have never been to one 🙁 I’ll have to check out some yard sales for a new dresser to redo!
    Katie @ Made to be a Momma recently posted…Chalkboard Flower PlanterMy Profile

June 24, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Katie! I drive to Canada to my Ikea which is an 1.5 hours away too!!! You have GOT to make the trip! I go like every other month! XO – Mallory

Yasmina @ Mina and Her Blog
    June 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I love everything that got do with gold . So naturally I love this! I like the handles you choose it makes it totally different. Worth it too drive to Canada wow !
    Yasmina @ Mina and Her Blog recently posted…Ikea Hack Diy Gold Stripes Storage BoxMy Profile

vidya sudarsan
    June 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm

You have done an amazing job!!! such a classy dresser now 🙂 I’m currently putting a page together on gold color accessories and I love to add your room and link it from there….
    vidya sudarsan recently posted…Inside Celebrity HomesMy Profile

Sandy
    July 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Love that lamp! Were did you get it?

Julie
    July 9, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I love it! Can I ask where you got the lamp on top of the nightstand?

Blair
    July 31, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Is the wall in the back wallpaper? If so, where did you get it?

Sarah
    August 20, 2014 at 12:20 am

Hi there I love your diy dresser and can’t wait to make my own!! Where is the hanging light from? Thanks!!!

Amber
    September 6, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hi could you please tell me what kind of paint you used please x

Layne
    October 1, 2014 at 9:53 am

This is completely amazing! Great work.

Jennifer
    October 2, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Love the night stands! Could you tell me where you go the chandelier? Beautiful!

Kate
    October 6, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’m so in love with this!! Quick question though: what type of paint did you use? Semi gloss? High gloss? I can’t wait to do this for baby #2 nursery!!!! Cheers!

October 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Hi Kate! I always use Satin or Semi Gloss on my furniture. This is semi-gloss. I recommend it for kids’ rooms because it wipes clean easily!

Thanks!!!

Master bedroom plans | Rick & Rose
    November 16, 2014 at 11:43 am

[…] nightstands are my obsession right now, they are an Ikea hack made by Classy Clutter, I’m not sure we’re going to have enough space for them since we are going to have a […]

Birthday Gifts for Husband - Rubber Bracelets
    January 10, 2015 at 5:36 pm

[…] ties, a pair of cufflinks. Tie pins will make for elegant gifts for a man who's the classy dresser. Besides, a handkerchief set with a leather wallet is also another good buy. How about giving him a […]

TREND WATCH: Campaign Style
    February 17, 2015 at 1:24 pm

[…] you need more instruction, the fabulous ladies over at Classy Clutter put together a nice tutorial on going Campaign style […]

Black and Gold Girls Bedroom
    February 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm

[…] nightstand are from Ikea and I did the Ikea Hack just like Mallory did HERE. They are simple, clean, cheap and so easy to […]

March House Goals & February Update - The Rachel Emily Blog
    March 5, 2015 at 10:13 am

[…] this. I bought these dressers the last time I was at Ikea with the intention to create a look like this. I’m sooo tired of looking at our mismatched (but functional) bedside […]

Diena Cameron
    March 22, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Love the chests/nightstands and I’m crazy about your wall treatment. I clicked over to the tutorial and it sounds easy that I’m seriously considering trying it. Thanks and Great Job !! = )

Vel
    April 22, 2015 at 4:26 pm

This is awesome! I was thinking of getting overlays, but they cost more than the rast! Thanks for sharing, I’m copying it for sure for my daughters nursery drawers!
    Vel recently posted…What to do with an Indoor WindowMy Profile

dana
    May 19, 2015 at 10:44 am

hey when you say “you added a little of the jade color to the white” how much is that exactly? cause i definitely want JUST a tint ha

May 21, 2015 at 1:59 am

I just added a few tablespoons at a time and stirred until I liked it. I don’t know exactly. 🙂

Jennifer
    October 26, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Hello, I stumbled across your blog and I really love it! Can you tell me whether or not you had to sand the surface of the dresser before painting it?

Corinne wilbur
    January 4, 2016 at 9:12 am

I have two of these dressers ill be redoing soon so was excited to see yhis post. Where did you get lamps from? They are gorgeous!

Jenny Dosan
    February 15, 2017 at 10:33 am

I like this blog too much, You just picking very new Ideas Which making this blog so interesting, thanks