DIY Herringbone Stenciled Table

DIY Herringbone Side Table Tutorial - www.classyclutter.net

I’m super excited to share with you one of my favorite roadside finds/makeovers! I am a sucker for gold then you pair it with the beautiful wood stain and fuh-get about it! I love it!

herringbone table BEFORE.jpgI found this cute little table left abandoned one day. Immediately, I had a project in mind before I even scooped it up and put it in my car! I was shocked that someone would get rid of such a sturdy cute little table! Maybe not everyone is a furniture hoarder like me! ;)

herrngbone side table_vinyl stencil.jpg

First, I wiped it down really good and removed all of the gunk off of it. Then, I used my Silhouette and made a herringbone stencil out of vinyl and stuck it on the top.

herringbone side table - spray top.jpg.jpg

Once I attached the vinyl, I took some gold metallic spray paint and sprayed the top of the table. I really love the wood tone in this piece so I just opted to paint the top only.

herringbone table 1.jpg

Next, I rolled a coat of polycrylic over the top to prevent any spray paint from getting scratched off over time. That’s it! Quick, easy and super cute if you ask me!

herringbone table 6.jpg

herringbone table 4.jpg

herringbone table 5.jpg

herringbone table 2.jpg

Gotta love free furniture and free projects! Have you found any good roadside finds lately? What did you do with it?

Mallory_Sig

Comments

1. says

I LOOOOVE roadside finds. I found a vanity table last week and cannot stop dreaming about how I will fix her up. Sometimes I feel like we’re silly for buying new furniture! Great DIY :o)

2. says

It’s amazing what people will throw away. The herringbone pattern is beautiful on the table with the wood showing through. And gold was the perfect choice! Great job!

3. says

I LOVE THAT! You’re right – who would toss that little table away?!?!? Some peeps have no imagination!! Man, I want a Silhouette soooooo bad.

4. Anna says

Hi, LOVE the result! I am probably being thick or over thinking it or something, but how did you create a herringbone stencil that allows you to paint the lines only? I’m racking my brain trying to figure it out! The only solution I can think of, is to scrap the stencil, and use a ruler and a Sharpie pen to get a similar look. I would love to hear how you did it! Thanks!!

• says

Hi Anna!

I used a herringbone shape with a vinyl decal I made. I used the negative space from the decal, instead of using the herringbone lines, I used the insides… like a million long rectangles. If you look at the third photo in the post, you can see that the wood grain is exposed in the herringbone pattern and there are white rectangles making the design. Does that make sense? Kind of a reverse stencil? Hope that helps! xoxo

5. says

I realize this post is a year old but I just found it and I really love the project!
    Could you elaborate on how you made the stencil for me? I’d really like to try this!

6. Kathy E. says

Hi, I don’t have a Silhouette. Would you be interested in selling me a vinyl like the one you used for the table?

Thanks,

7. says

Hi,

I love the table. Would you be willing to sell me a stencil like the one you made with your silhouette? I want to create a stencil on cork that I’m going to use to line two white melamine trays I just purchased. My plan is to do the herringbone outline in white and then fill in a few shapes with gold at random.

Please let me know if you’re willing to create another stencil just like the one you used on the table.

Thanks,