Hello, Hello Classy Clutter readers! I am so excited to be back today and oh, have I got a treat for you! Don’t be mad that I am about to ruin all the healthy eating you have been doing since the new year began. It’s my job 😉 But seriously, this classic cheesecake is AH-mazing! And yes, you have to say it like that. haha!
This recipe comes from my grandmother-in-law (or, my husband’s amazing Nana!) She told me she got this recipe from a newspaper or magazine when she was just a newlywed and has been making it ever since! It is a vanilla classic cheesecake but you top it with a sweetened sour cream layer and oh my goodness it is good!
I have to admit something though. The idea of making a cheesecake kind of intimidated me! I thought you had to use a special pan and cook it with a water bath etc. but this is a really easy recipe and you don’t need to do any of that. If you are going to serve it for guests you may want to use a springform pan, but Nana always makes hers in a cake pan and we just love it. So use what you have and go for it! You could even use a 9″ pie pan
if you don’t have a round cake pan. You just won’t get the tall sides.
I am usually all about the toppings but this classic cheesecake can stand on it’s own! The flavor and texture are amazing! Creamy good I tell you. I also love the all spice in the graham cracker crust. Yum! You can top your slice with cherry pie filling or just the sauce (skip the cherries) like my husband prefers. I like it both ways.
This would be the perfect dessert to make for your sweetie this VALENTINES DAY! I mean, who doesn’t love cheesecake?!
Classic Cheesecake with Sour Cream Topping
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla*
- cherry pie filling, optional
- FOR THE CRUST: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9″ cake pan or springform pan. Mix together the crust ingredients. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- FOR THE FILLING: Mix the cream cheese till soft and creamy. Add eggs, sugar & vanilla. Beat till creamy. Pour onto crust. Bake for 25 minutes (the center should look almost set).
- FOR THE TOPPING: When the cheesecake is done baking, remove from the oven & increase the oven to 450 degrees. Mix together the sour cream, sugar & vanilla. Pour over cheesecake and bake for 7 minutes at 450 degrees. Let the cheesecake cool completely then cover & chill overnight in the fridge.
- NOTES: *I used a clear vanilla for the topping. If you don’t it may tint the topping a darker color. It will still taste great but if you want a pure white, use clear vanilla. The hardest thing about making this cheesecake is remembering to make it the day before you need it. It is not good unless it is fully chilled (overnight is best!)
Here are a few more recipes on Baked in Arizona:
If you want even more recipes, you can follow me here!
Join the CC squad!
Subscribe to our email list for FREEBIES including this *FREE* Home Sweet Home Printable!