Yellow Sewing Desk Makeover

One reason that I LOVE where I live is that there are TONS of curb freebies, roadside finds, roadkill rescues, or whatever you want to call it. I joke that half of my house was found on the side of the road. Well, that’s only partly true but I really do find awesome things on the side of the road! During the warmer months here in New York, there are always good finds to be found!

I snatched up this little desk as fast as I could when I passed it on my neighborhood street.

Since the desk was free, I wanted to see how little I could spend to do the makeover for my sewing desk. My old sewing end table desk got a paint job and moved into the living room.

First, I sanded it just a tad (mostly on the top) where the sewing machine would sit and where the most wear and tear would occur. Then, I wiped it down to remove any dust and debris from sanding.

(1) Next, a sprayed it with a good coat of Kilz Spray Primer and Sealer that I had on hand. Again, mostly on the desk top.

(2) After using spray primer, I like to take an old sanding sheet and rub the piece down to get rid of any gritty texture the primer may have left.

(3) Next, I mixed my own concoction of sunny yellow and white to create this gorgeous buttery yellow. I love the outcome of mixing colors. If you haven’t mixed paint colors before, it’s really fun! When you don’t have to be super picky on the color, its fun to experiment and use what you have since I didn’t really want to spend money on this project.

(4) Last, it got a spray down with my HVLP spray gun.

The desk was missing a knob so I swapped the knobs out for some I had in my stash from a dresser I did for a friend. I kept the original handles though and gave them a spray with Krylon’s metallic nickel. The hardware spray paint was the only thing I purchased for the makeover making my total $3.97!

I added this contact paper I had under my kitchen sink and I think it makes it look so polished and “finished” looking!

Not a bad project for less than $4 huh!? It is absolutely perfect for a little sewing desk and I love that I have more drawers to store all my notions, thread, etc.

What do you think?!  Have you found any freebies lately??
Follow us on Facebook here… and on pinterest here and here.

About Mallory & Savannah

Welcome to our blog! We’re so glad you’re here! We are Mallory and Savannah and we are the brains behind Classy Clutter, a one-stop-shop for all things creative. Classy Clutter keeps us connected from Arizona to New York. We hope you’ll enjoy our blog and come back often for inspiration, tips and tutorials. Thanks for stopping by!

30 Responses to Yellow Sewing Desk Makeover

1. Stacey says:

I LOVE IT! The color combo you chose is great :o)
    Why don’t I find such goodies just laying on the side of the road?? I would love if you linked this beauty up to my party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

2. stefani says:

That yellow is so pretty. What an amazing transformation.

3. I have just recently started checking out your blog!! I love this project! We are getting ready to move, and then I am going to start my first adventure in furniture painting!!! Thanks for the tips I have gotten off this blog!!

4. What a lucky find! I love your new sewing desk! The color is perfect!! :)

Ansley

5. Danielle says:

It looks so sweet! Love the color of the desk and chair!

6. It’s so pretty in yellow. Why can’t I ever find some good free stuff?

7. Melissa says:

love it…

xoxo,
    Melissa

8. Love it! I always have my eyes open for a good roadside rescue…now my boys are even onto it! Latest grab…an office chair with arms and hydrolic lift and lower lever…SCORE!! Just wish I could make it as cute as your new desk.

9. Nicku says:

C-U-T-E! You know I clearly have a penchant for freebies! I need to get a paint sprayer though! That would have been lovely to have as I redid my free dresser last weekend!

10. Carsuch says:

Soooooo cute! Love the yellow and the chair color, too!

11. Never good stuff like that in my town. Lucky girl. :-) You did a beautiful job.

12. Too cute, and free is always good!

13. I absolutely love the desk! I need to get one of those spray guns!!

14. Love it! What brand of HVLP do you use? Do you like it? Is it easy to clean? I am thinking about buying one.

15. Natalie says:

Oh my gosh, that is SO CUTE!!!

16. Trixi says:

wow it looks great! The yellow looks so good with the blue. I would love it if you would like to share this desk makeover at my link party http://trixih.blogspot.no/2012/06/link-party_25.html

17. Cassidy says:

Wow! Love how it turned out. LOVE the yellow!!

18. What a great little piece! The chair color with it makes it extra cheery! Great job! You couldn’t find this in a store.

19. lifespassion says:

Beautiful color combo! Nice job!

20. Jill Hayes says:

Hey-love this! Can I ask you 20 questions about your paint sprayer? I have been brush painting furniture for years now and want to transition to a sprayer. What kind do you use? About how much do they cost? Did it take a lot of practice to learn to use to get even coats (no drips)? Can you use all kinds of paint with it? I’d love some tips and recommendations before I buy my sprayer. Thanks!

21. Sarah says:

Visiting from Tatertots & Jello. This is such a cute makeover! I’m sitting at my desk that could use a similar facelift! Thanks for the inspiration…pinning this gorgeous piece :) Sarah @ dwellonjoy.com

22. Jeannine says:

Love the color, especially with the chair! Great find and makeover!! Found you at Under the Table & Dreaming. I’m a new follower.

Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

23. Kristin says:

Love the color! And the drawer liners are a perfect compliment =)

24. Jen says:

Beautiful! It would look right at home in my house. ;)

25. this is fantastic!!! love the colour of both the desk and chair, they go great together

would love it if you could share this on my link party – http://serenityyou.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/serenity-saturday-47.html

26. Olivia Brien says:

Oh my gosh! This desk is an EXACT match to the dresser I had growing up, which belonged to my dad before me! I didn’t know there was a desk as part of the set. I’ll have to ask him to see if he had a desk, too…

27. so sweet! i love the soft color!

28. Kelly says:

I love the soft yellow and blue combo! The drawer lining is also great.

29. Pingback: Colorful Furniture Makeovers