DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial

Can Cab_2_noWM

I built this DIY Canned Food Organizer and it’s basically changed my life. Let’s start by saying, have you see my little kitchen?

It’s totally tiny but does a fine job suiting our needs…mostly… One problem I’ve run into with a small space is storage space. I’ve had to get a little creative and maximize the empty space hiding in the room since we’re lacking a pantry.  However, our kitchen had about a 6″ opening between our wall and the refrigerator.  Which btw, I didn’t even notice until I saw this pin on pinterest and knew I needed my own version stat!  This idea blew me out of the water! It will solve all of the world’s problems!! Or at least my kitchen space dilemma! *wink*

**NOTE** There are too many shelves on this plan. I ended up only doing 7 shelves total opposed to the 9 on the plan. My measurements and “shopping list” will include supplies for 7 shelves so just pretend those other 2 aren’t there in the plan above. 😉
Shopping list:
9 – 1×4″ boards cut to 29 1/2″ (top board, shelves, bottom board)
2 – 1×4″ boards cut to 64″ (Side boards)
1 – Thin board cut to 31 1/2 x 64″ (I used bead board/wainscoting board from Home Depot)
4 – 1 1/2 – 2″ Metal Casters that hold 50+ lbs (I used 2″, 80lb)
7 – 7/16 dowels cut to 30″ long (lumber section of Home Depot)
Handle or knob
Paint and Brush, Roller or Sprayer (if needed)
Tools and Supplies:
Drill
7/16″ drill bit for drilling dowel holes
several wood screws
several 2″ nails
several finishing nails
hammer
(I also used my jig saw to make some cuts that weren’t precise – you may not need to do this)
Directions:
1. Build the “ladder” by screwing and/or nailing all boards together to make the main structure (shown in red on my diagram. Note that you will screw two of the 1×4″ boards together at the base. I’ll show you why later. Tip: I used screws for the outside frame but found that nails worked best on the shelves. I used 2 on each side of each shelf.
2. Drill holes for dowels – Mine are about 1 1/2 ” from the bottom of the shelf and about a 1/4″ from the outside. I used a 7/16″ drill bit because that was the size of the dowels I chose.
3. Insert dowels into holes. Use wood glue for extra support. I may or may have not used hot glue. 😉
4. Next, if you want, paint a design or a pop of color on the inside of the cabinet. No one will see this unless it’s open so I wanted to do something fun. I mixed up some Oops! paints I had lying around and got this pretty blue/green color that matches some of my kitchen decor. You can totally just do it to match the outside and skip this step for now. As you can see, I chose a chevron design.
5. Use finishing nails to attach your back board. I placed nails on the outside perimeter and nails where the shelves were so it didn’t “bow” out the back if cans got shoved back there.
6. Fill any holes or cracks with paintable caulk or wood filler.
7. Paint! I used my HVLP spray gun and air compressor to paint mine and it went super fast. You could hand paint it or even spray paint it if you want!
8. Attach casters according to the package directions. Because my screws that attached to the casters were longer than 1″, I added that extra bottom 1×4″ board to have something more substantial to drill into when attaching the casters.
9. Attach your handle or knob to the front. I found that a handle (drawer pull) worked well to pull the cabinet in and out.
10. Fill it with your canned goods, spices, or whatever and that’s it!
**Updated to answer some FAQs:**
  • No. This is NOT a free-standing cabinet. It is fully supported by the wall on the left side and the refrigerator on the right side.  If it is pulled out too far, it could potentially fall. I built it over a year ago and have not had any issues with it at all but I suppose it could happen. You could install a stopper on the floor or locking casters to prevent an accident.
  • My refrigerator does not heat up on the sides and over the past year, I have had absolutely no issues with food spoiling from any heat. The fridge is completely cool to the touch.
  • The total was around $110 to build it. For all materials.
I have had a ton of inquiries about it and honestly, it’s one of the BEST projects I have done. It saves us SO much room and is basically life changing.
What do you guys think?! Isn’t this cool?? Is it weird that I love it so much? 🙂 It has made a world of difference in my kitchen and I’m ecstatic!
Shop this project with text

cheshiretiffy
    May 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It’s lovely, creative, and a great use of otherwise useless space, but is it a good idea to keep canned foods on the side of the refridgerator where it gets hot? Maybe yours doesn’t do it, but the sides and back of my fridge are usually rather warm.

Classy Clutter
      May 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I actually opted for the left side of the fridge to avoid this problem with the stove but my fridge doesn’t get hot at all. It actually stays quite cool! Thanks for stopping by!

Petra
        July 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I Love this, Can’t wait to do it ….I just have 1 question.. how do you keep it from tipping over I don’t have anything on either side of my fridge no wall nothing…???? Please let me know….thanks..

JackDesert
          December 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Okay, alter with a wider base and a small weight bolted on to keep it from tipping.
          Basically you use more on the side not along the fridge or you make a lip at the same level as the underside of the fridge to brace against it.

Vicki
          February 3, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Obviously this only works where there is a space with support on either side, which would otherwise be wasted.

Sophir
        January 26, 2015 at 4:24 am

Great idea!

cheshiretiffy
      May 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Then it’s perfect 🙂 I really like the zigzag you put on the back panel. Your whole house is coming up beautiful.

brianna
      May 7, 2012 at 8:10 pm

This is pure genius! I absolutely love it! So would this be a problem to the right of my fridge??

William
        May 19, 2014 at 12:54 am

Please add my name to your email list. Love the narrow roller storage unit. Building one for my daughter in their 1st home.

vanessa
      September 28, 2015 at 12:54 am

Hi. Do you think that this would work next to a built in stove?

Nancy
        February 14, 2016 at 5:24 pm

I was wondering the same thing. My concern would be the heat from the stove… I was thinking that the bottom portion could possibly be used for storage of cookie sheets and other things that heat wouldn’t bother. the portion from the top of the stove to the ceiling (or top of the fridge) is where I was thinking I could store spices for quick access.
        Do you think that would work and not destroy your spices?

March 4, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Yes, I think that would totally work!

A. Turrentine
          April 6, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Spices shouldn’t be exposed to heat or humidity. I’m building mine for space between washer & dryer in laundry room. I may move w & d together and put skinny storage between washer and wall. If I do that, I will add narrow shelf on wall just above skinny storage to keep it from coming out too far or tipping.

Jen
    May 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Seriously love this Mal!!!! It looks so good! Love the chevron.

Classy Clutter
      May 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

You’re the best! Couldn’t have done it without you!

Mal

Hilary
    May 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Pure genious! Way to maximize the space in your adorable kitchen.

Jen
    May 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Love it!
    It’s such a great idea and such a space saver.

{gabbi.z}
    May 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm

This is amazing! I wish I was skilled enough to build it! It’s so pretty…

KG86
      May 10, 2012 at 9:38 pm

That’s the great thing about this project…anyone can! Just take your time!

Monette Lamontagne
        February 10, 2015 at 11:31 pm

True im 67years old and im building it myself. love it.

Monette
          February 10, 2015 at 11:41 pm

luv
          True im 67 years old and im building it myself. love it.

SayNotSweetAnne
    May 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Wow! What a great idea! I’m always seeing those fancy pull out segments at Ikea and I’m totally jealous. I never thought of making one myself! I wouldn’t have room by the fridge, but we’re planning a move so maybe in the next house! Again- great job! I’d love for you to share on Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-3/

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row
    May 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Super creative – it is practical and pretty – my favorite combination!

Laura
    May 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Beautiful post and blog!:) Would you like to follow each other?

Austin and Chelsie
    May 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

This is better than the one I saw on pinterest. Amazing work! I bet the people you rent from LOOOOVE you guys!!!

Jen @ Yummy-Healthy-Easy
    May 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Way to go Mallory!! This is seriously genius! You are amazing!!!

Jenn Gray
    May 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Super Cute. & Clever. Bythewayjenngray.blogspot.com

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles
    May 2, 2012 at 12:09 am

I LOVE this!!! I need to go check my fridge now & see if it’ll work for our space…. Thanks!!! 🙂

Lauren -aCommonersCastle
    May 2, 2012 at 1:19 am

It’s amazing! Totally not weird that you love it so much, if I had one I would be drooling all over it (metaphorically of course) 🙂 It’s looks fabulous, and I love that you added the chevron to the inside. I want one! Now I just need to find a few spare inches somewhere in our kitchen!

Faith @ Artistic31Mama
    May 2, 2012 at 2:40 am

Brilliant! I’m soo pinning this! 🙂 You hooked me with this post! I’m a new follower! I’ll be looking forward to seeing more posts! 🙂

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate
    May 2, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Brilliant! I pinned it and I’m going to email it to my husband. We need this so badly! Thanks for the clear tutorial too! I just love it!

Amanda
    May 3, 2012 at 1:50 am

What a great idea – and so wonderfully executed, too!

I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays on May 7th! Hope to see you there! (www.watchoutmartha.net )

Jackie
    May 3, 2012 at 2:06 am

Saw you on Whatever Goes Wednesdays, and this is amazing ! You did a great job ! I have a small kitchen and would love something like this, but I plan on gutting the kitchen. However, I think this would we a cute little idea for the bathroom… Good job on your chevron stripes, too. Thanks for sharing !!

Jen @ Yummy-Healthy-Easy
    May 3, 2012 at 5:19 am

I just saw that your amazing airplane valance was featured on House of Hepworth’s this week!! WAY TO GO!!!!! 🙂

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate
    May 4, 2012 at 12:34 am

I love this and it’s a feature this week!

Little Ladybird
    May 4, 2012 at 5:36 am

We need one of these, what a great idea!!

K F
    May 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Neat idea, but the civil engineer in me wants to know how this could possibly be safe?! I see it toppling over as soon as my preschooler pulls it out far enough to no longer be sandwiched between the wall and fridge. Can you explain how you keep it stable? Thanks.

Classy Clutter
      May 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm

KF – Thanks for your question. Several measures have been taken to make sure this was as safe as possible for kids to be around. The wall on the opposite side of the fridge provides a lot of support. Also, the (4) casters have been placed to provide support and it actually stands up on its own when pulled out too far. The most important thing we did for safety is putting the handle high above the reach of my children. They cannot, even if they tried, pull the cabinet out at all. They also have shown zero interest in the cabinet which helps a bunch. I can assure you that my kids are perfectly safe regarding the cabinet as they cannot move it at all. Thanks!

Robert
        December 9, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I am making one and while I don’t have kids in the house, I was going to put a chain or cord attached to the fridge or wall that would prevent it from being pulled out too far. add one top and bottom and it should not be an issue at all.

BTW: thanks for the great tutorial on this. I love it, I will let you know how it goes next month when I make it :D.

Robyn
          September 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Great idea with the cord/chain attached behind it to prevent it from being pulled out too far.
          I love this shelf and since we are in a VERY small apartment compared to the house we moved out of recently this is perfect.

Valerie Boatwright
        February 13, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Just a thought…To avoid the possibility of pulling it out so far that it has no support, why not install a metal door stop or something else that could A) stick out of the supporting wall, B) be small enough that it wouldn’t get in the way if placed properly (i.e. where it would slide just under one of the shelves, and C) would be string enough to offer a little resistance if the shelves were pulled out far enough for it to hit the end…?

bobonlyknows
      December 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I am building one right now, It is super easy to add a stop on it so it cannot be pulled out completely.

Allen
      December 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm

What support are you talking about? You don’t mention anything about the opposite side.

The Average Jane
    May 4, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This is awesome for “stepsaver” (read: tiny as heck) kitchens like mine! How did you place the casters to stop it from rubbing on the wall? I’m in an apartment and don’t want to have too many scratches to fix when it’s time to move out.

Garden Goddess
      August 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I bet you could use a drawer slide attached to the wall and the back of your homemade cabinet. This would keep it from being pulled out to far as well as help it roll smooth.

Nicki
        August 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Really good idea, thanks! I had thought of attaching a length of chain from the back to the wall as a stop, but your idea would keep it from rubbing on the wall or fridge as it goes in and out. Will be looking into doing this for my small kitchen.

Gabrielle
    May 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Be still my heart! Love love love it! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Jenny
    May 5, 2012 at 2:18 am

I love this! How very creative. :o)

I do have one question. Do the things stored in it get very hot? My fridge & upright freezer both put off some heat & the sides are warm to touch. Do you notice this with your food you store here?

Joselyn @ The DIY Spot
    May 5, 2012 at 3:12 am

Brilliant! I never came across anyone in blogland with a kitchen as small as mine. Actually, I think you have more cabinets than I do, if you can believe that. Two doorways and a dining room opening further contribute to my space challenged kitchen so, like you, I can benefit from one of these. Thanks so much for sharing this great storage expansion idea. Heading over to Learning to Be Me (your inspiration for this project) to give thanks as well.

The House at Bluebird Lane
    May 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Really great storage solution! I am also pantry-less and always on the look-out for more storage space ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Amy
    May 6, 2012 at 5:17 pm

What a great idea! I like the way you incorporated design into the back.

Danielle
    May 7, 2012 at 4:35 am

its so pretty. i would want to keep it out all the time.

lubbygirl
    May 7, 2012 at 5:45 am

Very nice idea, and workmanship. Does the fridge door open OK with that there? I have a side-by-side, and wondered if it would work OK for mine. Thanks so much for sharing – I have to try this now, as soon as I get the lumber rounded up!

Kim
    May 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

This is exactly what I need! I’m super excited!! Thank you thank you for the instructions for how to make it. I was just wondering if you have any problems with it scratching the side of your fridge. I didn’t know if pulling it in and out would end up making places where it rubbed.

Unknown
    May 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I would love to try this in our new home because it is a TINY kitchen! The only problem is there is no wall or anything on the side of our fridge, and it is next to our stove… I also have little ones so I wouldnt want to leave it out in danger of it tumping over

Anna
    May 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm

This is ingenious! Seriously hats off to you, this is the smartest use of wasted space that I’ve ever seen! I FBed it and Pinned it, thank you so much for sharing at the Weekend Warrior!

Anna

Lil' Luna
    May 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

GREAT idea!! LOVE it!

Dee
    May 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Oh WOW! this is brilliant! It is so simple and so effective. It amazes me that no one seems to have come up with such a great way to store such items before now. Such ingenious thinking on your part.
    thanks for making it and sharing it. I am going to pin this so that I can show hubby and inspire him to assist me (mostly do it for me) to adapt and make one for our kitchen. The timing couldn’t be better as we are in the process of re-thinking our kitchen space. I will blog it when I get to it and link back to your blog too.

Little Becky Homecky
    May 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

YOU ARE AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing this!

Linda @ it all started with paint
    May 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm

And I thought I was weird for hugging my kitchen countertops! What a fabulous idea! So fabulous that I was compelled to pin and FB it too …

🙂

Linda

Cariann McCready
    May 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

What a great use of space! love it…

Iziko
    May 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thats a brilliant idea!! Now Im wondering how I (read husband) can make something similar in our tiny kitchen…I dont have a perfect spot like u. But ill store this idea in my memory couse its a great idea! Only after reading todays post did I realize u r actually renting a place, Im amazed at what u have done to it! we r also renting but lets just say I wont be having a tour of our flat any time soon;) Thanks for posting! From Anita in Norway

Susan @ Oh My! Creative
    May 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

What a fantastic idea…and it’s so pretty! It creates so much more usable space! I love your striped wall in the background too!

I would love if you would post it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any of your creative project!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

Gale
    May 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Instead of drilling right through, you can use a forstner bit and only go halfway, and then just have a fixed top and bottom, with finished edges.

lindsayinnyc
    May 9, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I *LOVE* this!!! My husband and I live outside NYC right now but will be moving into Manhattan next year when our lease is up. We’ve “window shopped” for apartments and it’s hit or miss when it comes to any sort of storage. But 6″ next to a fridge? That’s a little more doable. Great idea!!

stefani
    May 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm

This is great! I love the pop of color on the inside.

A friend got one of these when she remodeled her kitchen and I figured I would have to wait quite awhile to get one for my own. It never occured to me to build one. Thanks so much for the info. 🙂

Mel M. M. McCarthy
    May 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

This is SOooooooooh ingenious. I am going to make one of these for our postage stamp sized kitchen. Thank You for sharing the idea (not to mention all of the measurements and such fab instructions.) You just made my decade!

Hannah
    May 9, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Just saw this on IHeartOrganizing… this is incredible! Thanks for the great tutorial!

D-L
    May 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Very cool! Question: Does it get top heavy? What stabilizes it from tipping over if it is pulled out (by a child, I’m thinking!)

Karen @ THEBUZYBUG
    May 10, 2012 at 1:57 am

Oh my goodness…I am soooo making this!! TFS!

Twyla Gariepy
    May 10, 2012 at 2:19 am

Holy cow we have the exact same kitchen, only my stairs go down not up. Or at least thats what it looked like before I did a little reno (like move the stove to the corner and get rid of that jut out thing and put a dishwasher there – Imagine that and you can guess how much cupboard space I now have). This is such a cool idea. I am totally going to go measure and see if I have enough room to do this.

MichelleC
    May 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

What a great way to use space and it’s so cute with the chevron stripes.

Serendipity and Spice
    May 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm

This is fantastic! My pantry is super tiny- this might be the perfect thing for me!! Pinning it now!

Megan and Emily@Whimsically Homemade
    May 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know we featured you in our Favorite Find Fridays post over at Whimsically Homemade. We used one of your pictures. If that’s a problem let us know and we’ll remove it immediately. Thanks for your great inspiration!

Haydee
    May 12, 2012 at 1:03 am

Yowza, that’s SO fantastic! Beautifully done..and I love the added dash of pizzaz with the chevron…you have endless bragging rights with this fabulous project!

Haydee
    May 12, 2012 at 1:03 am

Haydee
    May 12, 2012 at 1:04 am

The Cantelmo Family
    May 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

This is such a great idea!! I love it! I need something like this but I don’t think I have enough room in my kitchen. Maybe in my next house!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}
    May 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm

What a clever idea! Love it!
    Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week! You’ll be featured at tonight’s party! 🙂
    XO!
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

529aabfa-1b7d-11e1-8d2a-000bcdcb2996
    May 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm

So how do you keep it from being pulled out too far and falling over?

oldandgrumpy
    May 15, 2012 at 7:05 am

I took out a window to box in a cantilevered pantry and fridge space, so I don’t need this, but I know someone who does. Now I know what to do with the large wheels I rediscovered in the shop the other day. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Melisa
    May 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm

You’re not only clever, you’re handy with tools! This is so impressive.

Jessie@saavysavings
    May 15, 2012 at 5:25 pm

What an awesome idea! Just pinned! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Curt
    May 17, 2012 at 2:00 am

Just built it today for a friend. Pretty simple project but I’m in the business. Check for width. Built with 1×4’s and with the dowels it is pretty skinny for cans. Lots of storage for small space!

Chinwe Onuoha
      December 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

How much did it cost to build yourself?

Linn
    May 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Brilliant 🙂 thanks for sharing this.

tnstamper
    May 21, 2012 at 12:45 am

This would be great too for oversized platters and lids.

kbruursema
    May 21, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Just wondering approx. how much you spent on the finished product? I want to go ahead and start this but want a ballpark estimate before I go in and have sticker shock! lol!

Classy Clutter
      May 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hi!

I spent about $110 at Home Depot on all of the supplies I needed. However, that price included 2 drill bits I purchased and I had the paint on hand so it can vary if you have a few items on hand. I’d guess around $100 total… TOTALLY worth it in my opinion as this has changed how my kitchen functions and I love it!! Thanks, Mallory!!

Tori
    May 23, 2012 at 3:28 pm

For your boards, you have 1×4″ — that is inches. Do you mean 1×4′ (foot)? Did you really have a foot of space betwen your fridge and wall?

This is such an awesome idea, and I’ve been looking for some extra storage space. I just know I don’t have a foot of space between the fridge and door. Maybe I’m just not understanding it correctly…I’m blonde ;P

Classy Clutter
      June 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Tori, It is 1×4 inches. The boards are 1×4 inch boards used for building. The entire structure that you see when it is pushed in between the wall and fridge is 4″ wide by 64″ tall.

Thanks!

Holly Gallacher
    May 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I just built this! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I modified for my space and I added a chain anchored to the wall to prevent the shelf from pulling all the way out and falling on the little one. Here is my pin! =)

johanna
    May 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Showed this to the Hubs this morning and he is already headed to Home Depot and Harbor Freight! I will have it in place this later today!

Hani@Craftionary
    June 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I am totally in love with this idea.. I have already pinned and shared it on my facebook page.. 😀 so excited to have you link up at craftionary..

Jesi
    June 5, 2012 at 5:35 am

I’m curious, how much did this project cost you? I know wood can be pricey.

Maria
    June 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm

What a great idea! I love how you used such a small space in such an awesome way! LOVE IT!

Lycoris
    June 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I saw this too on pintrest! Thanks for the tutorial. Already thinking on how to modify it for my own needs. I just bought a bunch of the spice tins that are so popular now. I was thinking of a magnetic paint or metal plate of some sort on the back just over the cans. That way I can get them off the fridge. So afraid if I close the door to hard they will fall and make a mess.

Rita Lockwood
      July 20, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I have the magnetic spice containers as well and everyone says oh what a cool idea… BUT We are building this and adding them inside.

WaitingForElijah
    June 12, 2012 at 1:52 am

Maybe I missed this part…however, I’m not sure how you get something that tall and thin to stay balanced? how do you keep it from falling over?

Jen
    June 22, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! My grandmother used to have something like this in her home years ago, and I was just wondering to myself whether or not I could create something similar for my teeny-tiny kitchen, then BING! Someone pinned this to Pinterest and it caught my eye. I am totally doing this! Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

lesli gresholdt
    June 26, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I think it should be noted that the boards should be cut to 1×4″ because purchasing precut 1×4″ boards won’t give you enough depth. Those boards are not actually 1×4″ once measured, they are .75×3.5″. We built this using 1×4″ boards and now don’t have enough room for the dowels and the cans…Trying to figure out a better solution. Curt’s post above was correct, using 1×4’s is not gonna work for more normal size cans and larger items. Only smaller soup cans maybe.

Classy Clutter
      June 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hi Lesli,

I did use 1×4″ pre cut boards and had room for my dowels as well. I have soup cans as well as regular, standard size vegetable cans stored. Are you sure you used the small 7/16th inch dowels? My dowel holes are drilled almost to the very outside edge of the board to allow for enough space. I’m not sure what else could be different as the 1×4″ precut painted pine boards worked perfectly for me.

Thanks so much!

Sheena Castillones
      September 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I came across this problem too. I bought pre cut top choice wood from Lowes. They sell it as 1×4 but it measures .75 by 3.5. I found this out after I put on the wheels and it would not stand on it’s own. I was so sad. Since I had about 6 1/2 inches between wall and fridge, I decided to buy a 1×6 pre cut pine(not pre painted) and attach it to the bottom with about 10 screws. Funny because that board actually measured .75 x 5.5! I was lucky I had enough space to solve my issue this way because I had already built the whole thing!

Without the extra 1/2 inch, some of the shelves are a bit snug or too small for regular vegetable cans. But this still suits my needs. I use ttis for cooking wines, different vinegar, cooking oils, and baking goods so everything can be right there for easy access. I had different spacing plans for shelves of course.

One last issue I ran into was the wheels. My floor is tiled with grout spaces that are a bit wide and a pain to clean. So when weighed down with all the food products, the 2 inch wheels where a pain to deal with because they kept turning and catching in the grout spaces. For now I have leftover plywood sitting on the floor underneath, but I feel I may eventually change out the wheels for larger ones that don’t turn.

Becca
    June 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

This was totally incredible!! Thanks so much for posting- I need this asap- well, I needed like a year ago- but asap will work!!
    Pinned it!
    xo Becca

June
    July 1, 2012 at 11:31 am

Clever, clever, CLEVER! Thanks for sharing!

freewave04
    July 3, 2012 at 12:35 am

is there a reason for using swivel casters instead of fixed. just thought it would keep the unit in a straight line and stable.

Kristen McIntyre
    July 5, 2012 at 7:23 am

Excellent idea! Making pantry units really a space saver and very affordable.

Sherri Hughes
    July 13, 2012 at 2:30 am

We just finished this project. Love it but one issue we r having is it leans backward due to the backing. Any suggestions to stabilize?

Inspire Me Heather
    July 13, 2012 at 11:08 am

Thanks for posting this! I’ve been wanting one of these for ever as we have room beside the fridge for one – I’m showing Hubby your tutorial for sure!! Oh, and I’ve Pinned this too, thanks again!

48ef883c-cd5c-11e1-b25d-000bcdcb2996
    July 14, 2012 at 2:33 am

This is what I need to do for my pantry.

It started as a 9 inch deep section. My hubby has deepened it but then we realized the shelves would be WAY too deep for me to reach all the way to the back. So the project has been halted for over 2 years. I wanted something that pulled out but never thought to do several thin ones.

I may modify your design and put dowels on each side so I can get to the shelves from either side.

Thanks!

The Prudent Pantry
    July 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

This is such a great idea. I never seem to have enough space for the cans and spices. Not only is this project functional, it is so cute!

I would love it if you would share this at my new Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

Have a great day!

Debbie
    July 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This is a great idea. I have a space between my washer and dryer that is wasted. Your post gave me the idea of adapting this to store an ironing board with a hanging rod and maybe a folding table. The casters would allow me to roll the unit into the den where I could do my laundry and watch t.v.

Storage Buildings
    August 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I just found your website and bookmarked it in delicious. There is a ton of good information here for me to learn from. Thanks for sharing.

Storage Tents

Monica Monroe
    August 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm

This works fantasticly for my small kitchen! Now I have room to put away all the junk on my countertop! Everyone who’s seen it has been so impressed!

Stacy Thomas
    August 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I’m going to show this to the Mr and we will rework it for canning jars since we rarely by anything in a can. Awesome idea!

Kim
    August 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm

How do you make sure it doesnt scratch the wall?

Tasha
    August 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I have the worry, with it being so tall and narrow, that it would tip over. Have you had any issues? I am buying a house with hardly any storage space in the kitchen and no pantry and this would be awesome.

Kimberly Clemens
      January 18, 2013 at 2:55 am

I was wondering the same thing, I wonder if she alternates the wheels on either side to keep it from tipping over? Put still, It seems too skinny to put the wheels far enough apart on each side to keep it from tipping over

Classy Clutter
      January 18, 2013 at 3:14 am

Hi!

This is NOT a free standing cabinet. It absolutely will tip over if you do not have it wedged between the wall and the refrigerator. I’m not sure that putting heavier items at the bottom would work but you could certainly try. I have mine wedged in between the wall and fridge and I just slide it in and out when I need something. It is stable until it is pulled out too far. I have not had any problems with it toppling over as I am careful to support it when I slide it out to get an item.

Thanks,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Tim Nolte
      March 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification, it wasn’t clear from the photos or instructions. I’m thinking that attaching it to the wall somehow would be the best for child safety. I’ll have to figure something out if we do this. Our son is into everything so I wouldn’t want to take the chance.

Shauna Gordon
      March 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

This got picked up by LifeHacker, and several of the commenters there have suggested using drawer rails for stability and support (the casters still hold the weight), as well as simpler things like stops or tethers to keep it from being pulled out too far to begin with.

Heidi Fowler
    August 28, 2012 at 4:39 am

Wow! Love this. I’m a new facebook follower. I’d love it if you visited me at OneCreativeMommy.com.

Mel
    September 1, 2012 at 1:54 am

This is fantastic, I really want to have a go when I get to our kitchen. Nice job!

Catarina Ek
    September 13, 2012 at 3:13 am

wow! I am already planning this in my head… thinking about what items I have that I could use. I am definitely doing something inspired by this… I will let you know how it goes.

pastimehobbyist
    September 14, 2012 at 8:32 am

Fantastic idea, every kitchen should have one.

Sue

yumccc
    September 17, 2012 at 1:21 am

I love it! So clever.

mitch irons
    September 19, 2012 at 4:28 am

Brilliant!! Love the color and the whole storage! I will try to make one for our kitchen! Thank you so much!

perth removal

Jessica McCoy
    September 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

What a great idea! I would love to have some extra space in my pantry.

Jessica @ At Home Take 2

Buzzy Hansen
    September 19, 2012 at 5:52 pm

THIS IS AWESOME! One of the houses we’ve been looking at doesn’t have an official pantry.. This is the perfect solution!

Melissy78
    September 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Awesome idea!!! AND….noticed the Wegmans cans 🙂 Love Wegmans!! Are you in NY?

Dewdrop Gardens
    October 7, 2012 at 1:31 am

It’s worked out very well! Great job on building this pantry.
    Saw you sharing at Funky Junk’s SNS
    Debbie 🙂

mustang6027
    October 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Just made this! Used Brick paneling & it looks super sweet! Thank you for the idea!

SwampCatNana
    October 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Is there a print out version of the tutorial?

Katie
    October 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Best idea ever! I just looked to see if I have enough room to make one of these and I do not! Darn. That creates so much storage.

LAnamas
    October 29, 2012 at 6:45 pm

It seems tall and that it might be off balance, unless the casters are placed correctly. How are the casters spaced to avoid the problem of the sliding cabinet toppling over? (It is hard to tell by the instructions.)

Classy Clutter
      January 18, 2013 at 3:13 am

Hi!

This is NOT a free standing cabinet. It absolutely will tip over if you do not have it wedged between the wall and the refrigerator. I’m not sure that putting heavier items at the bottom would work but you could certainly try. I have mine wedged in between the wall and fridge and I just slide it in and out when I need something. I have not had any problems with it toppling over as I am careful to support it when I slide it out to get an item.

I have spread the casters out to help with stability but DO NOT expect it to stand on it’s own. It is much to tall, thin and heavy for that. I have had no problems with it in our kitchen but it must fit properly in between to supports (a wall, etc) to prevent any toppling over.

Thanks,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Stephanie Keisman
    November 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I have the same question as LAnamas. My hubby and I are wanting to make this, but we are concerned about it falling over, especially with kids. Any thoughts? I suppose if you take care to put heavier items towards the bottom, that would probably help stabilize…

Classy Clutter
      January 18, 2013 at 3:12 am

Hi!

Thanks,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Stephanie Keisman
    November 5, 2012 at 1:00 am

Update. I wish I would have carefully read through all the comments before my husband constructed this. We bought 1×4’s from Lowe’s which, much to my chagrin, are not actually 1″x4″. My husband and I spent a lot of time arguing today over why YOU could fit spaghetti jars on your shelves with 7/16″ dowel rods, but we could not. 🙂 The reason is the size of the boards.

I love this design, but I would recommend that you make note in the tutorial that not all 1×4’s are created equal. I know you probably didn’t know that when making your pantry, but it would save the rest of us trying to replicate your awesome design a LOT of trouble. 🙂

Chinwe Onuoha
      December 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm

How much did it cost to make?

Nicki
      August 23, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Sorry but it’s fairly common knowledge that the posted call outs of boards (2×4, 1×4, etc) are not the actual finished dimensions. “When the board is first rough sawn from the log, it is a true 1×4, but the drying process and planing of the board reduce it to the finished size.”

A soup can is 3 inches. The 1×4 is 3.75. with a 7/16″ dowel placed close to the edge of the 1/4, that leaves 1/4 clearance.

john mart
    November 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

This is fantastic, I really want to have a go when I get to our kitchen.I just looked to see if I have enough room to make one of these and I do not! Nice job!
    Moving Boxes NYC

Gallo Pinto2
    November 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

My husband made me one yesterday for my birthday. We actually used precut 1 x 6 boards from Lowes since we have SO MUCH ROOM next to our fridge and it turned out beautifully. Thanks for the great tutorial. We are waiting to paint ours this summer but at least now I have storage!!!

MomHomeGuide.com
    November 8, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Wow! I will have to try this. I don’t have a closet pantry in my small kitchen, so the cabinet that I use as a pantry is always getting too full. Thanks for the post!

Renato
    November 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm

lindo seu espaço 🙂
    estou compartilhando aqui
    Forte abraço Renato Artesanato em MDF

Chinwe Onuoha
    December 6, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I agree with everyone that this is a great idea, but my main concern is cost. How much did the project cost? I was told by someone that it would cost me around $50 which is kind of steep for me. Please, all who have made this, tell me how much does it really cost before I get excited about it. I live in a small apartment with a tiny kitchen and I have the space on the side of the fridge to definitely accomodate this pantry on wheels.

Sheena Castillones
      December 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm

This is going to cost you at least $50 for the wood. I used whitewood which is a step above the lowest grade wood but it saved me A LOT of sanding. You Should get a better deal at a local owed store over a corporate store like Lowes or Home Depot. Then you need the castors (cheapest I found were $2.00 each one), drawer handle ($3-$5), and paint if you so desire. Also need screws and nails if you don’t have them already. It adds up fast.

Classy Clutter
      January 18, 2013 at 3:09 am

Hi!

It cost around $100 to make after lumber, casters, dowels, paint, etc.

Thanks!

Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Zephyr Hill
    December 21, 2012 at 1:58 am

Hi, Mallory, I just found your amazing project on Pinterest! It’s so SUPER! I’m a blogger, too, and it gets discouraging when no one makes comments (I do tutorials sometimes, too), so I wanted to be sure to come find you in Blogland and tell you how great this is! Kudos to you for living with and loving your small space, too!

Ryan Sandnes
    December 29, 2012 at 11:11 pm

That is fantastic.. I think I know what a future project is gonna have to be!=)

Tina Veselka
    January 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I love this idea! I have a nice useless space next to my fridge this would be perfect for. I have read thru all the directions and all the comments. As such, I will definitely be measuring my space before purchasing supplies. I will also be using thin lattice strips, instead of dowels, on both sides to allow access from either side. I will also nail or glue a board ‘stop’ on the floor to prevent the unit from being completely pulled out. I may also put locking wheels on the front so that one can’t just walkover and yank it out. I will probably paint the exposed side with chalkboard paint to use as a Menu or shopping list. This project will be my “reward” for getting my house decluttered and organized this month. Thanks for the great idea!

odile
    January 26, 2013 at 3:29 am

this is just too cool. I want to make one and I will. I read the directions and I am bit confused about some of the parts, but I hope to figure it out.

heidi
    February 1, 2013 at 6:20 am

i saw another person made one of these after seeing yours. she anchored it to the wall using a chain so that it couldn’t be pulled out far enough to tip. i also see that you have yours place between your fridge and wall for stability.
    thanks for the awesome idea.

Unitechindia
    February 8, 2013 at 11:47 am

Deals in manufacturing and supplying supermarket shelf such as library shelf library book shelf, glass library shelf, book storage shelf, corrosion resistant book shelf and decorative book shelf.

For more details visit us:

Debbie Jones
    February 12, 2013 at 2:29 am

The one concern my husband has is regarding the casters. When it is pulled out all the way, are the casters enough to hold it without falling over to one side?

Noelle
    February 17, 2013 at 5:08 am

I made this cabinet soon after I saw it. I love it. It holds so much stuff. I really love that I can see all of my spices now. Thank you so much for sharing.

Carol Williams
    February 19, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Love this space saver of an idea.
    Instead of drilling the holes for dowel rods do you think using tension rods ( like for curtains) would work as well?

Ian Anderson
    March 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Wow Mallory, so many people are not only inspired but actually making this project, that rocks!

Amazing what you can fit into a small space isn’t it!

Sarge
    March 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Really a great idea. I Plan to build it for my wife. Thanks so much for the insight.

nomzam
    March 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm

What a great dea am surely copying your idea. Just bit of change actually I want a wooden wine rack so I ca do this too.
    Thank you.

Drew
    March 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm

So, why 4 casters? Why not just 2?

redtelephone
    March 26, 2013 at 11:41 pm

thanks for the great idea. We adjusted the idea for our space and use a drawer slide to add stability and make it easier to pull out and only used two casters.

Giraffe Lover
      January 15, 2014 at 2:55 am

drawer slide…Great addition to an already cool project. Thanks for the idea 🙂

Chris J
    March 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Coolest. Thing. Ever. I’ll be building this shortly for our tiny apartment kitchen. However, I may think of replace some of the top shelving with a place to hang a couple of pans, baking trays, and cooking utensils, as it would be directly next to my stove/oven.

Sallie424
    March 30, 2013 at 2:20 am

This is wonderful Thanks for the construction post! Scaling down markedly and this is calling to me, for the kitchen, I’m sure!

Sallie424
    March 30, 2013 at 2:21 am

Unknown
    March 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Fantastic Suggestion – exactly to my taste.

In Europe they call these cabinets “Pharmacy Cabinets” because the pharmacists use deep pull out cabinets just like this to efficiently store all the itty bitty drugs and vials. Space is at a premium over there – HENCE why IKEA offers it.
    I plan on building or buying one FLOOR TO CIELING with two 12 inch pullouts.
    It will have a left and right wall and a top. . . for TRACKS to guide and glide.

Caster on floor is good, but interested in comments and thoughts on using DRAWER GLIDES, left and right every two feet of the height. (inset at shelf level?)

Any more thoughts on size limitations for this sort of pantry?
    Gene in Nashville

preparedhousewives
    April 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Absolutely beautiful!!! Just pinned this and put it on my husbands to-do-list! So creative with the chevron on the back!

Infarrantly Creative
    April 5, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Girl I have seen this floating around Pinterest for sure. I actually ran to my fridge to see if it would work in my space too. Fabulous!

16 Great Home Organizing Ideas I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker
    May 21, 2013 at 6:59 am

[…] Classy Clutter shares a great DIY Canned Food Organizer […]

jessesToons
    May 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I loved every bit of this, I wish I had skills like this. My dad used to build cabinets and I could never figure it out. I would love to get more experience with it. I’ve been looking around and have heard of these cabinets in Halifax that I would probably really enjoy trying out. I guess we’ll see how it goes. So fun!

Stealth Pantry Reclaim Kitchen Space - Did Ya See?
    June 7, 2013 at 7:10 am

[…] Via Classy Clutter […]

jessesToons
    June 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

I love this, its just what I’ve been looking for. My husband and I just moved into this new home and we are short on space right now. We’ve got a lot of stuff and its been hard trying to find some extra storage in Edmonton. Looks like I’m going to have to be creative. I guess we’ll see how it all goes, wish us luck!

naboss
    June 24, 2013 at 6:27 am

Thank you so very much for sharing this project in concise detail and inspiring my boyfriend and I to [finally] solve our kitchen dilema! We figured out the schematics for what will fit in between our fridge/wall, purchased the materials, and prepared all but one aspect. I’ve read through your wonderfully clear instructions and the comments posted above; however, I am left with just one question I am hoping you could answer:
    Someone above brought up the “swivel” vs “fixed” casters contention, but I did not see a response in favor of one or the other. Since you have the swivel one in practice, is there a reason why we would want to use the swivel casters and not the fixed ones?
    Thank you again!

La bonne astuce pour ranger sa cuisine… qui ne prend pas de place ! | Je fouine, tu fouines, il fouine... nous fouinons
    June 25, 2013 at 5:27 am

[…] Si vous voulez vous lancer dans la réalisation de cette superbe étagère, le tutoriel est ici : http://www.classyclutter.net/2012/05/build-your-own-extra-storage-diy-canned-food-organizer.html […]

Brilliant Space Saver Project – DIY Canned Food Cabinet - DIY & Crafts
    June 26, 2013 at 5:05 am

[…] to more kitchen storage than you know what to do with. Are ready to build this beauty?:) Click here Classyclutter’s canned food cabinet with step by step instructions […]

Brilliant Space-Saving Solution – DIY Canned Food Cabinet - DIY & Crafts
    June 26, 2013 at 5:06 am

Mike
    July 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm

wish we could buy these pre-made! This looks fairly easy, but I’m not sure I have the patience and skill.

Abby
    July 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm

This looks so fantastic! We have a similar gap in between our fridge and wall and I shove our cookie sheets, muffin tins, and cooling racks in there because it’s convenient but it looks horrible. I was searching for some sort of pull out organizer for them when I found this… I LOVE IT! I’ll just do two shelves and move the dowels up a few inches to allow cookie sheets to be slid in. I hope it works like I think it will, haha, thank you for the tutorial!

60+ Innovative Kitchen Organization and Storage DIY Projects - DIY & Crafts
    July 9, 2013 at 10:11 am

[…] Share on Facebook Tweet With a few boards, a couple of wheels and a little time, you can put an end to all of your kitchen storage problems by building your own hideaway storage for canned foods. This is a really easy pull-out shelf that you can hide beside your fridge. You just pull it out when you need something and then hide it away when you don’t. Via: Classyclutter – Build your own extra storage! […]

Tiffany Mom 2-4
    July 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm

How much did the whole project cost? I have the perfect place next to my fridge and could use a place to store my can goods and seasonings. Thanks for a great idea.

DIY | Pearltrees
    July 11, 2013 at 10:50 pm

[…] Build your own extra storage! (DIY Canned Food Organizer) […]

Carol
    July 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

I love this idea I’m going to get everything I need for it today. It’s perfect for the spot by my refrigerator. I have 2 sisters wanting one now. I guess we can make them all at once. Thank you for sharing.

Rustybeth
    July 19, 2013 at 3:33 am

Something like this plan would be a great thing to use as a front facing book shelf for kids. OF course, not on coasters, and affixed to a wall, but a great option for little readers. I feel other ideas coming on as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

How to Add More Storage Space | Davis Homemade & DIY
    July 19, 2013 at 12:07 pm

[…] Photo Source […]

Nagham
    July 28, 2013 at 2:54 pm

we just built ours ,came out pretty neat ,thanks for sharing
    would love some tutorials for walk in closet too !

Slide-Out Kitchen Storage | Design Happens
    July 29, 2013 at 6:01 am

[…] kitchen storage is often hard to come by. For this reason, I applaud the brilliant solution from Classy Clutter: slide-out kitchen storage! It takes advantage of under-utilized space and adds plenty of storage for cans, spices and other […]

Make A DIY Canned Food Cabinet! | Hurricane 360 Spin Mop Reviews
    August 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm

[…] to work with small space in your kitchen? Check out this DIY Canned Food Cabinet Tutorial from ClassyClutter.net that you can make on your own to save tons of space and get rid of extra […]

yuppicide
    August 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I’ve seen this before, but you’re the first one I saw that posted building plans.

I wish someone manufactured these pre-built, but the problem comes is that it can tip over and the company can get sued? So, why not install a closet track on the top.. similar to how a closet door is on a track when it slides open. This will keep it from pulling out all the way.

19 Great DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas | Style Motivation
    August 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

[…] Source […]

Hi Dee Heermann
    August 12, 2013 at 11:58 pm

My bf and I made one this past weekend and it turned out awesome! Showed the pic to three people and they all want me to make one! :-D:-D

Top 10 Kitchen Organization Hacks You Never Thought Of | Top 10 Kitchen
    August 21, 2013 at 8:14 am

[…] Classy Clutter has a great guide on building a sliding storage caddy for canned goods at a cost of only $110. This is a perfect solution for eliminating that gap between the fridge and the wall with the added benefit of some serious storage. Protip: Use soft tread wheels so your storage unit doesn’t scratch the floor. […]

5 ways to make a tiny kitchen look and feel larger!
    August 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm

[…]  (DIY Hidden Pantry tutorial) […]

John
    August 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I am a do it your self guy, I have built and mad many things over the years, and I do it the same way, just from my head, I don’t have any design plans, other then a drawing I did to go by if I nee it, if you need any tips, I would gladly give what I can.
    If you belong to face book, you can look me up and I have an album of things I built over the years. find me under Jay Mac it’s a picture of a blue “2013” here is the link directly to my album:

alice
    August 25, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I love this!!! I can’t wait to make it. My daughter will be so jealous, cause she doesn’t have the space beside her fridge!!! lol

Carrie This Home
    September 13, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I love, love, love this! What a great way to maximize space in a small kitchen. Pinning this now! I’m stopping by from Link Party Palooza (#142 First Day of School Photo Tutorial) Have a wonderful weekend!
    Carrie This Home recently posted…First Day Of School Picture {Tutorial}My Profile

Top 10 Awesome DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas
    September 19, 2013 at 10:41 am

[…] DIY […]

10 idee per tenere in ordine la cucina
    September 23, 2013 at 5:57 am

[…] Una delle idee più condivise della rete per dare spazio laddove sembra impossibile ricavarlo Photo: Classy Clutter […]

Top 10 Awesome DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas - Top Inspired
    October 1, 2013 at 7:27 am

[…] DIY Project and Photo Credit via classyclutter.net […]

Aiden Elizabeth
    October 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Such a great idea you shared with us ,this idea will help me to save a lot of space and it is also looking too good .Thanks for Sharing .

Lourdes
    October 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Genius!

PinBusted or PinTrusted: Upright Pantry Storage | GeekMomGeekMom
    October 12, 2013 at 8:01 am

[…] Plans: My husband measured for the height, depth, and width we had available for a unit.  At least the original site we found plans on actually had plans, measurements, and useful pictures. When looking for other plans, I was only able to find one other […]

FREE Measurement Conversion Chart Printable and the best invention ever!
    October 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm

[…] the past, I liked to store them in my DIY Canned food cabinet but all my spices take up like 3 of my shelves. Not cool. This is a brilliant solution in my […]

juanita spencer
    November 2, 2013 at 8:45 am

The hubby made me one, only he used 1 x 6 boards and used peg board for the back I use small baskets to put small items in like gravy mixes. I love it.

Earl Judds
    November 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm

These are great ideas for self storage. I am going to try this!

bubblegum casting
    November 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

n ice postt loved it

27 Creative Storage Ideas
    November 29, 2013 at 10:07 am

[…] Build Your Own Canned Food Organizer […]

Katie
    December 27, 2013 at 1:25 am

This would be the perfect solution for my super tiny kitchen that lacks storage and a pantry. I need to make this.

Lurae
    January 8, 2014 at 1:54 pm

My husband and I built this and found that with the 1×4 after we added the dowels we BARELY had room for a small spice can on the shelf. In the picture I see what appears to be regular sized cans. My husband is a very experienced “DIYer”, very sure he didn’t goof up on the measurements. So he simply added 1×1 around the back of the shelf, then added the back piece. Worked fine. Built one for our daughter and used 1×6 to start with and turned out perfect. Just a word of caution.

Rolling Right Along: Our New Rolling Pantry | gourley girl & guy
    January 9, 2014 at 10:12 am

[…] is the plan, by Mallory of Classy Clutter. Her plans are very detailed eloquent and, in fact, this […]

Mini despensa aprovechando espacio »
    January 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm

[…] por Pinterest me he encontrado con esta idea de “Classy Clutter” para aprovechar pequeños espacios haciendo una mini […]

Ikea Hackers | Pearltrees
    January 20, 2014 at 3:34 am

[…] DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial – Build your own! – […]

Phil
    January 21, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I just built this. Today. In three hours. The design is perfect. I used 1×6’s instead to give it a bit more depth, but changed nothing else. I’m going to add a drawer rail in the back to keep it in place and to prevent rolling it out too far. Thanks for the awesome design!

7 Unexpected Storage Spaces in Your Kitchen - Trinidad & Tobago Mortgage Finance Co. Ltd.
    January 29, 2014 at 1:31 am

[…] above, the area between your fridge and wall provides you with a lot more space and is perfect for storing tins, jars and […]

Taria Lorehand
    February 3, 2014 at 9:48 am

if you don’t want to put can goods in it, I think using the space for brooms or dustpans, things like that would work as well. just another idea.

Allan
    February 4, 2014 at 2:15 am

A couple of questions come up about rubbing the walls or fridge, heat and stability. Most hardware stores sell silicone bumpers with adhesive backing. Buy some that are 1/2 inch in diameter and attach to the wall and refrigerator. These will provide protection. As for stability, there are a couple of thoughts. Drawer slides have been suggested and are good if the other half can be mounted on a wall or upper cabinet. If its not possible, then wider is more stable. 6 inches would be better plus keep all heavy items at the bottom. As for heat, use 2 sheets for the backing and sandwich 1/4 inch styrofoam in the middle. You could also use foam sheeting used for packaging. Its really thin. If appearance is not an issue, then just put the styrofoam on the inside before the shelves go in. An observation is that rotating casters are shown. I think fixed casters would be better as there can be some wiggle when the casters rotate. Great idea

Tina
    February 11, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I have been mulling this idea around in my head for a couple of years. Nice to see someone has actually made one. I have a larger space so I plan to do two. I also will make the more stable so they can roll out on their own and not need the support of the wall or frig. Thanks for all of the tips on this one. I’ll definintely be able to use all of that info and adapt it to what I want to make.

Creative DIY Ways for Better Kitchen Organization
    February 16, 2014 at 10:29 am

[…] a hidden pull-out shelf besides your fridge and you’ll solve all your organization problems with canned food. This […]

Angela and Sarah (Emergency Essentials, LLC.)
    April 7, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Hi Mallory,
    We are writing an article, and wanted to highlight your tutorial. We are an emergency preparedness store (beprepared.com) and think this is a great concept for emergency food storage. We’d like to get permission from you to use the picture of your shelf for our weekly email and blog post. We are of course, linking back to your page and giving you full credit for the tutorial. Please email us and let us know.

Heather
    April 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I made something similar but it is a vertical can rotation rack with a space for water bottles underneath. Mine does not roll, and I glued extra strong magnets on the back to attach to my fridge. It holds 44 cans and 27 water bottles. It appears very sturdy even when I shook it like an earthquake would. I haven’t painted it yet, but am very happy with it. Of course if the “Big one” hits, it more than likely would fall down, but there is a wall that it would lean against and not fall completely to the floor.

Helen
    April 16, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I love this idea and I really need one of these. I’ve been studying your plans and I did not see how much space you allowed between shelves. Could you share that info with me?
    Thanks so much!

37 Creative Storage Solutions to Organize All Your Food & Supplies - Prepared Housewives
    May 2, 2014 at 8:59 am

[…] Roller Canned Food Cabinet […]

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor
    May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm

This is seriously brilliant! LOVE!

15 Incredible Home Organizational Ideas
    May 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

[…]  DIY Canned Food Roller Cabinet from Classy Clutter Here.  […]

Paige Reader
    July 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Couple tips:

My handyman put this together for me. Took him 4 hours at $20/hour. Materials: $96 (I used pine). SOOO worth it!

I had less space to work with so my shelves are only 4″ deep.

I made one 13″ shelf, one 11″ shelf, and the rest 6″. It can get heavy quick if you put big heavy things in it (glass bottles, big cans). I use mine mostly for lightweight things that take up a lot of space: pasta, cake mix, Campbell’s soup cans, cookie decorations, spices.

We nailed a thin strip of wood to the wall about 1′ down from the top of the shelf, to give the pantry something to roll against as you pull it out to stabilize it. Oh, and if you are making the shelves less than 6″ deep, make sure the casters you buy will fit next to each other at each end. Mine were too wide, so we used 3 casters in a row and staggered them slightly, again for more stability.

A super-cool pantry! I love it!

Judy Tricker
    August 10, 2014 at 10:21 am

I have been trying to describe this type of thing to a friend of mine who thought I was quite nuts trying to fit something into a space so small. I knew exactly what I wanted and now can actually SHOW him what I mean. Thanjks so much for this
    it is fantastic. Saw a similar thing put in between a washing machine and a drying that worked well too.

Gay
    August 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

My husband and I designed one of these about 5 years ago. Instead of using wheels we used heavy duty drawer slides, top and bottom. Also instead of dowels, we used metal stainless 1inch wide strips. The strips take up less room since they are only about 1/8 inch thick. I would think without some sort of guide to slide out it would destroy the side of your refrigerator over time. Also we used 1/8 inch plywood for the back. By doing this project we were able to use a 4 1/2 inch space between cabinet and refrigerator.

Sarah
    September 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

This is an awesome project! I’ve been eyeballing it since I saw it on pinterest months ago; we fit 6 people into our 900 sq ft house, so every inch has to count. Mine will be a “broom closet” rather than can storage, and I’m doing a pegboard on the back to hang the dust pan and whatnot. Thank you for sharing this!

Умный дизайн для маленькой квартиры | PureNet
    September 19, 2014 at 5:15 am

[…] classyclutter […]

5 Tips For Small Space Living: Kitchens - CHATFIELD COURT
    September 24, 2014 at 4:25 am

[…] Classy Clutter […]

15 Smart Pantry Storage and Organization Hacks - Home Decor Home Design Interior Design Bathroom Ideas Cheap Wedding Dresses
    October 29, 2014 at 9:33 am

[…] 7. Make Your Own Slide Out Canned Food Organizer at the Side of the Fridge Image via: classyclutter […]

Kitchen Decor | Pearltrees
    October 31, 2014 at 6:04 am

[…] DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial – Classy Clutter. I built this DIY Canned Food Organizer and it’s basically changed my life. […]

Tiny Marketplace » 6″ Slide Out Pantry
    October 31, 2014 at 11:27 am

[…] You can find the instructions on how to make it on the Classy Clutter blog here. […]

Lance E Sloan
    November 6, 2014 at 9:56 am

My recommendation would be to add a rail to the wall just above the back of the organizer and a roller on the top of the organizer near the back that rolls on the rail. I’m thinking of the kind of rail and roller used for sliding doors. Especially the nicer-looking barn door style of doors that have become popular in homes lately. The rail and roller would give the organizer stability and also serve as a stop to keep it from rolling all the way out onto the floor.

Also, depending on one’s needs, fixed wheels would be better on the bottom of the cabinet rather than swivel casters. The organizer only needs to roll on one axis. Fixed wheels would keep it on that axis. That would also make this organizer safer and easier to handle, especially when it’s loaded down with many items.

Overall, this is a good prototype, though.

Tony Baker
      January 8, 2015 at 2:16 pm

yes, fixed rollers would be better – also maybe if the rear ones could run in a track screwed to the floor so that it slides in and out without moving left to right?

dee
        February 14, 2015 at 8:36 am

my cabinet that my husband built wasnt going to be used between a refrigerator, but a wall and another cabinet. so i found drawer slides online that were 28″ with full extension PLUS!! our cabinet was 26″ and the space we had to use was 30″ so we mounted the slide all the way to the BACK 30″ forward 28″ and the cabinet itself was attatched to those drawer slides and resting it is in a semi OPEN position. it does stay stationary…the front look the cabinet is flush with the side cabinet it matches. since the drawer slide opens 28″ PLUS full extension the 26″ cabinet pulls completely out where the back of my new cabinet is fully accessible. and the cabinet can be pushed IN an extra 2″ to reveal a exterior light switch…and hidden when i dont need it 99.9% of the time (since we have deck lights on the posts of the deck. ) it is sturdy! no tilting, its so easy to pull it out, push it back in…so scraping of the wood. i painted it to match the glazing on my cabinets. you’d never know i didnt purchase this from the cabinet maker! picture in comments below.

LUV
          February 15, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I put a 1″x 6″ by 32L and attached a set of appliance rollers, my unit is now standing freely and rolles great.

ajie
    November 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm

very inspire , love this article

14 Ingenious Ways To Organize Your Kitchen
    November 25, 2014 at 9:40 am

[…] Build Your Own Canned Food Cabinet – Free up your cupboards and drawers with this easy project which will take up any redundant space you have and make the perfect storage solution. […]

Spice Rack Storage Solutions - Sand and Sisal
    January 4, 2015 at 5:39 pm

[…] Classy Clutter […]

Susan Slomski
    January 9, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I just picked a one word goal for the New Year and mine was unclutter. I realized I need to start with the basement of my house and I am posting my journey on my blog. I have a small kitchen (actually house, it isn’t even 900 sq. ft) so every inch I can use is meaningful. I have been having a huge problem on where to put my spices. I don’t want them taking up valuable cabinet space since I have so few and there is no room on a wall for a traditional spice rack (kitchen area has the cabinets and the only wall has the table against it so it is not usable for a spice rack). Finally a perfect solution to my problems!!!! I do have at least 6″ between my cabinet and refrigerator and this is perfect. I can reconfigure the shelves for spices. I am so excited I found you (on FB someone sent it to me). Thanks for putting the DIY instructions too. I am so excited now!
    Susan Slomski recently posted…My Goal of Uncluttering Starts with the BasementMy Profile

Donna
    January 11, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I think this is a great idea, and just what I have been looking for, but I am going to modify it to use for broom, mop, dustpan, trashbags, etc. THANKS

dee
    January 12, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Thanks so much for the great idea! This is my finished project that my husband and I made for a 6″ space behind my kitchen cabinets. It holds so much!! its 82″H x 26″depth and just under 4″ wide. I painted a french script and eiffel tower postal code in the back of the cabinet. we used drawer glides to stabelize it and stationary wheels to pull it out with.

전세계의 최신 영어뉴스 듣기 - 보이스뉴스 잉글리쉬
    January 13, 2015 at 9:30 pm

[…] one has those extra few inches between the fridge and the wall make the most of small spaces. This can easily convert into a spice rack! Put it on wheels and pull it in and out whenever you […]

HomeGoods | 8 Easy Kitchen Storage Solutions
    January 16, 2015 at 11:15 am

[…] a weekend, but if you are handy and have someone to help you, you could build this! The girls at Classy Clutter created this fabulous DIY can cabinet. See their site for a full tutorial. Isn’t this such a […]

ST Billingsley
    January 20, 2015 at 4:56 pm

what a great idea. We are going to do this at our shop.

Top 10 Best Home Organizing Tips
    January 23, 2015 at 5:08 pm

[…] via classyclutter.net […]

DIY Canned Food Organizer | Jconowitch
    January 24, 2015 at 1:12 pm

[…] Classy Clutter Food Organizer […]

12 Best Space-Saving Ideas For Small Homes | Tiny House for Us
    January 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm

[…] store dry goods in a tiny kitchen. For all you DIY’ers out there, Mallory & Savannah have detailed instructions on how to build your own over at Classy […]

Score one for Pinterest. | Red Fork Hippie
    February 2, 2015 at 12:28 am

[…] version somebody pinned from Classy Clutter (which is an excellent site, BTW) looked prettier than mine, but I’m lazy. And cheap. And […]

LOVE Your Kitchen (Part One) | the perfect place
    February 4, 2015 at 2:21 am

[…] If you’re in the mood for a DIY project, Classy Clutter has a fantastic (and super cute) tutorial on creating your own sliding vertical shelving unit. […]

Clever Kitchen Storage Ideas - Hative
    February 4, 2015 at 10:36 pm

[…] A diy rolling canned food organizer made by Classy Clutter. It uses the small space between the wall and refrigerator. source […]

How to make a rolling shelf for the side of the fridge – Recycled Crafts
    February 5, 2015 at 6:44 pm

[…] I just posted a great idea for making a behind the sofa table today and here is another great project for around the house. Check out this great idea for making a rolling shelf that fits in that tiny space next to your fridge. I could build this only as tall as my light switch but that would give me a nice bit of additional storage for little glasses and jars. Pop on over to the blog Classy Clutter for the full tutorial and pattern for making a thin rolling storage shelf. […]

45+ Small Kitchen Organization And DIY Storage Ideas – Cute DIY Projects
    February 7, 2015 at 4:35 am

[…] Project Details – classyclutter […]

20 Amazing Crafts to Keep Your Life Organized! - Little Red WindowLittle Red Window
    February 9, 2015 at 10:49 am

[…] DIY Canned Food Organizer from Classy Clutter […]

Organization For Every Room - Budget and the Bees
    February 9, 2015 at 12:08 pm

[…] Look for unused space. If you have a small wall or backsplash over a countertop you could install a magnetic knife strip. This may free up a drawer or counter space if your knives currently sit in a knife block. You can look like a professional chef with pots hanging from a ceiling rack. Do you have unusable space next to your refrigerator? Look at this genius pull out shelf. […]

Organizing the Kitchen tips for Miss Tidy | Cottage Chat
    February 11, 2015 at 10:43 am

[…] Food Organizer Tutorial….. […]

8 Pretty Pantry Door Ideas That Showcase Your Storeroom as a Star | Interior Design Blogs
    February 12, 2015 at 8:55 am

[…] room for a pantry! If you’re living in a smaller space, Classy Clutter has an ever-so-handy DIY for turning that awkward wall between your fridge and the wall into a useful canned food storage […]

LUV
    February 15, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I just finished the slim food pantry , however I added a 1″ x 6″ to the bottom and used a set of appliance roolers,
    It is very sterdy now, rolles well , stands by it self , however still use caution.

Beckey
    February 18, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Found this on Pinterest and really like the idea. Might incorporate it into our plans when we get around to remodeling kitchen.
    The only thing hanging me up in this whole article is Where are you finding 5 lbs of honey for $5?? LOL

Beckey
    Beckey recently posted…Why Google Makes Me Feel Bad About MyselfMy Profile

8 Strangely Satisfying Hidden Kitchen Compartments
    February 23, 2015 at 7:02 am

[…] If you’’ve always wished you could put that awkward space between your fridge and the wall to good use, here’s an awesome idea from Classy Clutter. All it takes is a few boards and some casters to create a handy slide-out pantry. Check out the DIY here. […]

8 Strangely Satisfying Hidden Kitchen Compartments | Interior Design Blogs
    February 23, 2015 at 7:24 am

[…] If you”ve always wished you could put that awkward space between your fridge and the wall to good use, here’s an awesome idea from Classy Clutter. All it takes is a few boards and some casters to create a handy slide-out pantry. Check out the DIY here. […]

Elaine
    February 25, 2015 at 9:59 am

I have to tell you – I did it! I built one. Well, first I built a proto-type (doesn’t that sound much better than saying I made some mistakes the first time). When I wasn’t satisfied with it, I took the casters off it and nailed it up in my basement for storage.
    Then I started again. I trimmed your version by 2″ (my side wall is not as deep as yours), and in 6 hours (3 hours assembly, 1 hour painting, 2 hours drying) I had a bee-yoo-ti-ful pantry!
    Thank you so much for the inspiration and the instructions!

Elaine from Canada

Small space organizing | HouseHoneys.com
    February 27, 2015 at 12:07 am

[…] Source […]

10 Super Smart Space-Saving Ideas and Hacks | GoWeLoveIt
    March 8, 2015 at 3:16 am

[…] Have you ever noticed the four-inch space or so between the fridge and the wall? It may not seem like much at first, but when you consider the vertical space, you realize there’s a lot of potential behind the fridge. A fun DIY project, then, would be to build a custom shelf that fits in that space. Attach wheels and a handle to make it easy to pull out. Then, store food or other kitchen items there. Check out this space-saving idea here. […]

diy kitchen cabinet storage ideas - momskitchen.country
    March 9, 2015 at 10:44 pm

[…] Diy canned food organizer tutorial – classy clutter […]

diy kitchen cabinet organizing ideas - momskitchen.country
    March 15, 2015 at 1:51 am

[…] Diy canned food organizer tutorial – classy clutter […]

30 Unique Storage Ideas For Small Spaces - Amazing Interior Design
    March 16, 2015 at 8:45 am

[…] Classyclutter.net 10. Kitchen appliances storage: […]

パントリー収納で片づくキッチンをめざす!【2・パントリーをつくる方法】 | キッチン | Sweet Shower
    March 21, 2015 at 5:39 am

[…] このキャスター付きの棚の作り方はこちらのサイトで確認できます⇒classyclutter […]

25+ Helpful and Genius Life Hacks to Upsize Your Tiny Kitchen
    March 28, 2015 at 8:38 pm

[…] Source: classyclutter.net […]

diy kitchen cabinet plans free - momskitchen.country
    March 29, 2015 at 8:23 pm

[…] Diy canned food organizer tutorial – classy clutter […]

Top 16 House Hacks - Craft-O-Maniac
    March 30, 2015 at 2:39 pm

[…] Classy Clutter| DIY Canned Food Storage Cabinet […]

Over 21 Tips to Organize Your Kitchen and Be More Efficient | How Does She
    April 6, 2015 at 4:40 pm

[…] How about your canned food storage? Here’s a great solution and tutorial for storing all your extra […]

DIY Rolling Kitchen Organizer | My Craft Assistant
    April 13, 2015 at 12:56 pm

[…] DIY Rolling Kitchen Organizer is such a great idea to add extra storage space in your kitchen for all the pantry essentials.  If […]

mad sad
    April 18, 2015 at 2:58 pm

great idea…thanks for sharing

Small & Low Cost: Organizar la cocina con poco dinero | Mrs. Shabby
    April 21, 2015 at 2:05 am

[…] Despensa Corredera DIY; tutorial. […]

Free Tutorial Diet Canned Food For | Best healthy food
    April 24, 2015 at 12:01 am

[…] DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial – Classy Clutter – DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial … Build Your Own Canned Food Cabinet – Free up your cupboards and drawers with this easy project which will take up … Classy Clutter has an ever-so-handy DIY for turning that awkward wall between your fridge and the wall into a useful canned food storage … […]

10 Space Saving Hacks for Your Tiny Kitchen | Word News
    April 24, 2015 at 11:41 am

[…] Image Credit: Classy Clutter […]

10 Space Saving Hacks for Your Tiny Kitchen | HotLine News
    April 24, 2015 at 11:42 am

[…] Image Credit: Classy Clutter […]

10 Space Saving Hacks for Your Tiny Kitchen | DailyNew5.com – World's Daily News
    April 24, 2015 at 11:47 am

[…] Image Credit: Classy Clutter […]

10 Space Saving Hacks for Your Tiny Kitchen
    April 24, 2015 at 12:00 pm

[…] Image Credit: Classy Clutter […]

10 Space Saving Hacks for Your Tiny Kitchen - LogHim.com
    April 24, 2015 at 1:47 pm

[…] Image Credit: Classy Clutter […]

If You Need To Save Space In Your Place, You Gotta Try These 14 Design Tricks
    April 28, 2015 at 10:57 pm

[…] Classy Clutter Discover how to DIY this here! […]

If You Need To Save Space In Your Place, You Gotta Try These 14 Design Tricks - Eye Opening Info | Eye Opening Info
    April 29, 2015 at 4:20 am

[…] Classy Clutter Discover how to DIY this here! […]

Kitchen Organization Hacks
    April 29, 2015 at 6:10 am

[…] Classy Clutter is using space in a clever way. I love how organized these cans are, as well as how easy they are to find!! […]

14 Design Tricks That Will Help You Save Space In Your Place | sooziQ
    April 29, 2015 at 6:14 am

[…] Classy Clutter […]

Clever Design Enhance The Beauty Of Your House,Whoa Very Tricky!
    April 29, 2015 at 8:31 am

[…] Classy Clutter […]

If You Hate Clutter, You'll Love These 14 Space Saving Design Tricks
    April 30, 2015 at 8:40 pm

[…] 3. A sliding food cabinet. […]

Save Space In Your Place, Try These 14 Design Tricks ! AMAZING
    May 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm

[…] Classy ClutterDiscover how to DIY this here! […]

If You Need To Save Space In Your Place, You Gotta Try These 14 Design Tricks « Hunto.com
    May 2, 2015 at 6:56 am

[…] Classy Clutter Discover how to DIY this here! […]

UpCycled Canned Food Organizer | UpCycling.xyz
    May 2, 2015 at 5:06 pm

[…] Source: DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial – Classy Clutter […]

10 clever storage ideas from Pinterest | Bain Daily
    May 18, 2015 at 4:00 am

[…] 7. Shelves on wheels. Pinned by Matthew Ellis, via classyclutter.net […]

10 clever storage ideas from Pinterest - Real Estate News
    May 18, 2015 at 9:40 pm

[…] 7. Shelves on wheels. Pinned by Matthew Ellis, via classyclutter.net […]

Sarah Naranjo
    June 15, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question. You have a 6 inch opening I see. But it appears your pantry you made is extremely snug in your space between the wall and refrigerator. I so want to make this (even smaller kitchen than yours), but I only have 4 1/2 inches between my fridge and wall. Do you think I could still pull this off using the 1 x 4s?

Thanks!

sn
    July 18, 2015 at 12:39 pm

My kitchen is so tiny, *so* tiny… I would have to do a recessed handle to keep from injuring my arm/ shoulder on the pull when I pass by it! Very lovely idea, and excellent execution!

Also– note: this is NOT a good idea if you have a kerosene, LP, or natural gas powered fridge! You could compromise ventilation and also spoil your food, as it would heat up considerably!

Chandra B
    July 21, 2015 at 10:07 am

I really like this idea. I am redoing my kitchen and will have a smaller fridge than before, so I will have some unused space beside it. I am going to build this to hold my baking pans and muffin tins which are rarely used and take up so much space in my cabinets. The pans should be lighter weight than your canned goods so tipping shouldn’t be as much of a problem. Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Rose
    October 6, 2015 at 5:15 am

great idea, but I was wondering, wouldn’t this scratch the side of the fridge going in and out all the time?

March 23, 2016 at 10:19 am

It never scratched my fridge but I did leave a little room between the sliding organizer and my fridge! Hope that helps!Thanks for stopping by!

pat
    November 10, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Did this many years ago, but made it with a 1×6. That way, was able to hang a mop, broom, dustpan and anything else on the flat surface side. Perfect solution for a tiny studio.

Edward Watson
    November 28, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Hi,
    That looks good, we’ve got a similar gap in our kitchen which could be used for this, freeing up space in the cupboards.
    Since you completed the project, have you had any problems with the shelves bowing because of the weight of the cans and how full do you load the shelves? I was thinking of putting an addition piece of 4×1 in the middle at the back and angle brackets to give extra support.
    Rgds
    Edward

March 23, 2016 at 10:16 am

Mine has never had problem with the support, but yes that would be an excellent idea!

Bonnie
    November 28, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I know it’s been the years since you payed this, but I stumbled on it and I just wanted to say “thank you so much!” for making such a comprehensive, easy to follow directive pay about this! I have seen these in magazine articles etc, and have never seen instructions! I’m so excited to finally be able to do this as we have limited storage in our kitchen and an entire cabinet is taken up by canned goods and spices etc! So ty again!

shiblumia
    December 9, 2015 at 9:55 pm

very useful article, thank you! buy-instagram-followers

Martha
    December 28, 2015 at 6:24 am

In my kitchen the space between the refrigerator and the wall is 3″. Would that work?

David Flanagin
    January 19, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Take off your list I am getting mad. Take off your list or I am going to report you.

March 4, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I am sorry, we are not really sure what list you are talking about but maybe you subscribed to our email subscription at some point. Just go to the email and unsubscribe.

Jesse
    January 23, 2016 at 9:29 am

Did you drill the holes for the dowels all the way through or blind?

Kirstin
    January 23, 2016 at 10:15 pm

This is a great idea. I modified it to make a “broom closet” and it is working beautifully! Thank you

March 4, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Glad it could work for you! Hope you are enjoying it! Thanks for stopping by!

LindaA.
    February 1, 2016 at 7:58 pm

If you put a sml. board at the end where you want to stop on the end of your pull out & a rubber stopper on the wall that would take care of the stopping ~~~ Or I would think so anyway ~~~

Nancy m
    February 17, 2016 at 6:17 pm

I am building this and for some reason 2 boards are short then the rest. They where all cut a home DepotDepot what can I do so Lil gap doesn’t look bad..

Ovis
    February 18, 2016 at 3:03 pm

This is such a beautiful idea! I love the chevron background.

Yvonne Blackmon
    February 18, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Could you build it with just shelves and dowels. You could reach from either side ?

Debbie Walters
    March 21, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I built one of these many years ago and add a guide on the top so it would not wobble back and forth. It was a 1×1 attached to the top of the mobile unit in the middle. Then on the wall I attached a 4 X 1 that ran the length of the mobile unit with a 4 X 1 at the bottom to rest on top of the 1 X 1. I then attached a 1 X 1 on either side of the 1 X 1 to the 4 X 1 so it could slide through the middle of it.

Manda
    April 13, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I just made my own! Thank you for the idea, it worked beautifully in my new studio!