DIY Hanging Macramé Chair

DIY Macramé Hanging Chair - www.classyclutter.net

DIY Hanging Macrame Chair

This chair was not my easiest DIY. Only because there was no tutorial anywhere to follow which means there was A LOT of trial and error which is always hard. I did this chair after Mallory and I were selected to compete in the Creating with the Stars 2014 contest. We were very excited but nervous. The very first round was knock-off and with the help and guidance from our amazing star, Mandi from Vintage Revivals.  We were so excited that we were able to work with Mandi. She has always been one of our favorite bloggers out there and we were totally star struck the first time we even talked to her. Anyways, after searching everywhere on the web we decided that we would knock off THIS chair that was from Urban Outfitters. Macramé is big right now, and I was totally up for the challenge to create this DIY Hanging Macramé Chair . To start the chair I used this chair from Target. I spray painted it white and I had to cut off the legs. I thought they would unscrew but I was wrong so using a little saw I cut off the tabs which removed the hoop part of the chair legs.

The Chair

The clothesline I used for the project was from the Home Depot and I used over 8 packages of this rope. I believe I used 8-9,  200 feet packages plus another 100 feet package. That amount including the rope that I used to hang the chair which is braided as well. This is a large chair and it used a lot of rope. The biggest thing I would say is make sure you have enough rope and that the rope is long enough.  I started out by cutting 60, 10 feet pieces of rope, that was not enough. I lost count after a while but I believe I ended up using around 120, 10 feet pieces of rope for just the walls of chair. But before you just cut away, use plain tape and put it around the rope and cut on the tape that way you don’t have the rope unravel.

IMG_6477-2

I started with doing a Basic Square Knot around the hoop. I then did Alternating Square Knots around the whole chair. I started on the left and I worked my way around.

At this point I was feeling very excited and hopeful that I was going to be able to pull this chair off. After quite a few hours, I started to get closer to the seat part of the chair and this is were my first bit of trial and error happened. This failed because I just kept on making my way down to the seat using that same knot.

Fail Chair

1st attempt

IMG_6492-2

So I had to take that apart and I was left with the picture above.

After thinking about it for a while I figured out I needed a second hoop but I also needed it to be a bit lighter.So I used a smaller Hula Hoop and after I sprayed that white I placed it where the seat would go and to make sure it would fit.

IMG_6497-2

IMG_6500-2

After I made sure the hoop would fit I then took it out and did the seat as a totally separate piece. In order to do the seat I used a piece of Poster board and I Pinned the a piece of rope on to it. The only reason I did this was because I wanted to be able to make just a straight piece about the size of the seat to be able to then tie it on to the loop. The poster board helped.

IMG_2654

To do the seat I just used this rope on the poster board to help hold the shape I wanted. I still did the Alternating Square Knot. I tied the seat knots a bit more spaced out because I wanted to have a different look on the seat.  After I finished the seat I tied of the walls of the chair by doing a basic knot around the small hula hoop then I did another basic knot to tie the seat onto the hula hoop as well.

IMG_2652

IMG_6503-2

After the seat and walls were both tied to the hula hoop I then tied the tails from the walls and the tails for the seat together just so I could have a bit more support. The tails needed to be cut.  Just like when I cut the rope for the chair I had to tape off every piece before I cut it.

IMG_6545-2

I just did a simple braid for the ropes that hold the chair up and I using a few piece of wood I had around my house I cut 4 pieces of the same length and drilled holes where the rope would go. The hardest part was making it level and tying around the wood evenly.

IMG_6558

This chair is a lot of work. But I will say it’s not that hard and it can be enjoyable. It just takes time. Hopefully you will learn from my mistakes. It looks hard but once you start knotting it’s easier then it seems. Before I started this project I watch different videos and I looked at many different tutorial but STOP reading all that stuff and just start knotting! It makes WAY WAY more sense once you start.

Close-ups

Marrakech-Chair-2

IMG_6577

IMG_6575

IMG_6572

I do want you to know before you commit to this chair is that it took me about 40 something hours but that is with my different trial and errors. Please email me if you have an questions! I had soooo many during this project, don’t be afraid to ask.

If you love the Macrame look but don’t want to do this chair, check out the cute planters that Mallory made while we worked on the last and final round of Creating with the Stars.

DIY Macramé Hanging Planters | www.classyclutter.net

DIY Macrame Hanging Planter

Much Love sign-2

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Jeanette
    June 12, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Shut up!!! That is so AWESOME!!!!i have been looking for one for my daughters room but they are so pricey! I will def give this a try:) thank you for the direction although I have a feeling I will be emailing you with questions.
    Stopping by from baycreekboutiquehomedecor.wordpress .com

Cassandra
    June 12, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Does it feel stable when you sit in it? It looks awesome by the way.

Katie @ Made to be a Momma
    June 12, 2014 at 9:35 pm

This is amazing! What a FUN chair! I don’t think I have the patience for such a long project–but I might just have to try 🙂
    Katie @ Made to be a Momma recently posted…American Flag Snack TrayMy Profile

Bharati
    June 13, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Wove!!! You have amazing patience. absolutely love it. Awesome work!!
    Bharati recently posted…Master Closet – 3rd side and final revealMy Profile

Rebecca Lopez
    June 13, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Dudettes! Seriously this chair is amazing. I honestly can’t imagine how hard this project was. You did a fantastic job! It’s gorgeous!
    Rebecca Lopez recently posted…The Creative Collection Link PartyMy Profile

Elisha @ Pneumatic Addict Furniture
    June 16, 2014 at 12:58 pm

The infamous macrame chair! Holy cow! Once again, it looks fabulous…and time consuming. My hat goes off to you Savannah. Consider mind blown!
    Elisha @ Pneumatic Addict Furniture recently posted…Easy Built-In BookcasesMy Profile

lois michalski
    June 17, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I lov3 thie idea I am going to try it out if I can still find the rings

erikawebb
      June 15, 2015 at 8:18 pm

How much did all the the supplies cost you?

talulah
        September 20, 2015 at 3:16 pm

200 million dollars

Pam @ Over the Big Moon
    June 18, 2014 at 9:20 am

You are totally rad / crazy / amazing Savannah! You killed it and the chair is amazing!!
    Pam @ Over the Big Moon recently posted…Your Guide to Choosing the Right PaintMy Profile

Sara
    June 24, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Great chair. With such a chair, a book I can read for hours 🙂
    Sara recently posted…15 Incredibly Airy Kitchen Designs with SkylightsMy Profile

Roxanne @ the Honeycomb Home
    July 3, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Are you kidding me?? I never, ever would have thought to DIY one of these chairs! It came out AWESOME!! Amazing job!
    Roxanne @ the Honeycomb Home recently posted…Red, White and Blue RoomsMy Profile

Nina Pasta
    July 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Thank you for posting this. It motivates me. I have been dreaming of it. I just need to stop dreaming and make it happen. Your chair is amazing.

Daniëlle
    July 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Super cool!
    I want one (:

Maggie
    July 8, 2014 at 10:16 am

I love the chair, I too have been wanting to make something like this. Honestly, I don’t even know how to do Macramé but you did such a great tutorial and it looks so wonderful that i’m willing to learn now. I appreciate your offer to answer our questions and I do have some. I’ll try and ask them all now so hopefully I wont have to bother you again. (your laughing at me saying yeah right aren’t you? 🙂 First, I’m making (going to attempt anyway like I said I don’t even know how to Macrame yet) this for a tiny preteen girl. If I can find smaller hoops do you think I should go smaller or is it more comfy big? Also, how comfy is the chair? My daughter loves to read, would you think she could comfortably sit there an hour or so? I guess what i’m trying to ask is how stable is it? Does it tend to “sag” the longer you sit in it? Or if say, a heavier mom size person wanted to relax in it while she was at school, would I umm… I mean that mom stretch or ruin it? Is there anything that you would do or use (material) differently such as make the walls shorter to allow for stretching or use thicker rope or even a different material to macrame it? Lastly, would you be willing to share a picture of someone or even better two someones sitting in the chair? Preferably a small person and a mom size person? You know just in case a mom size person was to see that gorgeous chair calling to them from her bay window and decide to break in my house with a book and a cup of coffee and sit in my daughters hanging chair while she was at school and I of course wasn’t home. 😉 Darn, that wasn’t the last one, OK Lastly, If you have any other Ideas, comments, wish you would have’s etc… I would love to here them. About the chair that is. HaHa 🙂 Wow, I’m playful today. Thanks so much!!!

Billie Myers
    July 17, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I love this chair but I doubt that I could ever do this alone.

Matteson Sikes
    July 30, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Can you make me one! Lol I don’t have the patience for this lol!

Lindsay
    July 30, 2014 at 5:55 pm

WOW! this is amazing! looks harder than what I can accomplish! Ever think about selling these, I would be on the waiting list! it looks so comfy!! I NEED ONE!

Heather W
    August 10, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I LOVE THIS!!! I’ve made very small versions of this for plants/fruit basket but a chair would be utterly divine.
    You can also do the rope work in the way you would do a dream catcher, it works fantastically and switching colors of rope is pretty too. (You can dye the rope if you can’t find a color you like or make it completely then do a ombré deep dye. 😉 ). Another way is to do a decrease in your rope work, like in crochet. It is a great method of getting it smaller as you work toward the seat bottom.

Off to find the supplies to make my son a new reading knook chair. I may add one to our living room for myself a crochet corner. 😉

Samantha
    August 19, 2014 at 5:12 am

Im curious what you used to hang it from the ceiling. That kind of dead weight is certainly more than a planter or a TV

Roopini
    August 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Wowwwww!!! That’s awesome 🙂 Your patience and the spirit to not give it up are commendable. Great Job!!! It looks lovely 🙂
    Roopini
    Let’s Make It Lovely

Judy
    August 29, 2014 at 4:53 am

Shut the front door! This chair is one of the most amazing things I have seen on the Internet lately. I know I could never make it myself, but I have a hanging chair from Pier I and it is so comfortable. More than you would ever thonk just to look at it. Incredible job on the macrame chair.

Ashleigh
    October 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Where did you find the hula hoop? I’ve looked all over and the smallest one I could find was 34″ and I feel like it’ll be too big for the chair frame I have.

savana shields
    October 12, 2014 at 9:17 pm

i have been looking for a chair for my room and i am in love with this one is there any way u could make a vedio on ow to make it or could u email me and maybe u could make me one u dont know how much i would lovvvvvvvvveeeeeeee that email me @ achiforme@aol.com plz i would pay u to make it if it will be cheep

Lili
      July 25, 2015 at 11:56 am

Appreciate your effort, Totally love it!

Ultimate Upcyle – Macrame | Forage and Fashion
    January 13, 2015 at 1:41 am

[…] Glorious Chair […]

Friday's Favorites: Links that I Love 1/30/15 - The Rustic Willow
    January 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm

[…] DIY Hanging Macreme Chair | Classy Clutter […]

Cat @ therusticwillow
    January 30, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Hi ladies! I’ve featured this post in my Friday Favorites for this week, Enjoy! http://therusticwillow.com/fridays-favorites-links-love-13015/
    Cat @ therusticwillow recently posted…Friday’s Favorites: Links that I Love 1/30/15My Profile

Top 10 DIY Hanging Chairs Projects To Try This Spring
    February 4, 2015 at 10:46 am

[…] Find the tutorial here […]

NEW TEXTURES | Studio Up
    February 7, 2015 at 9:49 am

[…] The Glitter Guide / Curtain – Sally England  via Remodelista / Hanging Chair DIY – Classy Clutter / Wall Hanging – Ace Hotel via Bee of Design / Lawn Chair – Mollie Makes / Lampshade […]

Sandra
    February 8, 2015 at 4:29 pm

hi. Could you please tell me how big those hoops are, in cm ? 🙂

Slik får du et soverom du aldri vil forlate! - Kreative Idéer
    February 19, 2015 at 5:41 am

[…] En hengende stol på soverommet er absolutt nødvendig for romantiske sjeler. Spesielt ved siden av bokhylla. Kilde: classyclutter […]

Chloe Allen
    March 5, 2015 at 1:04 am

Hi there,

My name is Chloe Allen, i am a year 12 student living in Perth, Australia. I am trying to create a chair using the steps you have posted here and am wondering if you can help me to understand when to attach the second hoop. I would like to know if you braided the rope evenly the whole way round before adding the small hoop, or did you leave one side longer than the other to give the chair a tilt?

Thank you kindly for your time and i look forward to hearing from you.,

Chloe

Upon the Throne | World Inspired Bohemian Wedding Seating
    March 12, 2015 at 4:52 am

[…] OK, I am thinking of my weekend chill and feeling that I may need one of these quite urgently. […]

20 Epic Ways to DIY Hanging and Swing Chairs | Home Design Lover
    March 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

[…] Image: Classy Clutter […]

Top 10 No Cost DIY Home Décor
    April 1, 2015 at 9:51 am

[…] via classyclutter.net […]

Macrame Projects to Try: 12 DIY Ideas - Darice
    April 3, 2015 at 11:14 am

[…] DIY Hanging Chair by Classy Clutter. […]

Mes coups de cœur de la semaine | Dans Mon Bocal
    April 16, 2015 at 2:52 am

[…] sauf que celle-ci est faite avec des bande de jersey. Plus original et un brin vintage, ce fauteuil suspendu. Cette lampe toute simple dont le câble a été camouflé par du macramé. J’aime beaucoup […]

3lleMc
    April 27, 2015 at 4:55 am

Hey there ladies! I absolutey adore this chair. I was wondering how you attached it to the ceailing and if that would be possible in a rental apartment. I’ve thought of trying to create some sort of stand but I really like the idea of it hanging. Thanks!

pamela
    April 27, 2015 at 4:44 pm

is the chair comfortable to sit it?? I wouldn’t want to go to all this trouble and then find out it is not really very comfortable. 🙁
    Thank you.

Hyland
    April 28, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I would love to try this but Is it sturdy? Or does it start to sag?

gypsie
    May 3, 2015 at 11:50 am

What’s The weight limit on this chair?

Decorar con macramé | Decora y Sonrie
    May 16, 2015 at 9:22 am

[…] 11 […]

Nancy
    June 2, 2015 at 10:35 pm

I love it, appreciate your effort!
    Do you have a pattern for the seat bottom? I have a small rectangular outdoor metal frame foot stool that I want to paint turquoise and bought white marine grade thin rope to do a cute macrame top on. I really like the pattern you created for the seat.
    Nancy

Rebekka
    June 26, 2015 at 11:12 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous. Do you have a step by step guide you could email???

Layney
    July 24, 2015 at 1:51 pm

What if you don’t have that chair frame, what would you recommend to use instead?

Emily
    August 4, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Approximately how long did you make the walls? And what is the diameter of the hoops that you used? I really want to make one i just need all the measurments. Thanks!

Makayla
    October 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Hey if u made me one of these how much would you charge or could u do it for free?

March 3, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Oh man! Unfortunately we’re not making anymore and we do not offer them for sale. Thank you for stopping by!

Zahra
    November 25, 2015 at 8:46 am

Hello,
    I love the swing chair. you have done an amazing job. I wanted to ask you about the rings you used. What are their measurements? I would love to give it a try.

Thank you in advance..

Laura
    December 28, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Hey
    First of all, woww !!!! It looks so amazing! I might give it a try though I’m not sure if I have the time and capabilities do so. I know that this is unusual and the whole idea of posting this is so that people can make this diy themselves but I thought I could always ask. Is it possible if you’d make another chair and I’d buy it form you though I don’t want to spend to much so I don’t even know for how much you’d like to do that… Well anyway if maybe you’d like to do that send me a message. Thank you!
    And keep up the lovely work you’re creating

January 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Hi, I am sorry at this time I won’t be making anymore. I am so glad you love it though.

Lauren
    January 21, 2016 at 9:19 pm

What’s the weight limit on the chair? Also do the braids and woods support it well or do you recommend using a chain or something?

March 23, 2016 at 10:27 am

I do recommend using a chain for safety if it will be in used a lot! I do not know the exact weight limit for the chair it self though! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

jess
    March 7, 2016 at 5:44 pm

if you don,t no how to macrame just get some elastic strips from a crafts store and get the thickest thread you have and sew them on to the hoop 😀

Elden Gatley
    March 21, 2016 at 8:01 am

That chair looks great in your house. I think it would also look neat outside, hanging from a tree. It would be a great thing to sit in while reading a book in the fresh air.

Hazel Owens
    April 26, 2016 at 8:31 am

The chair looks amazing! I’ve always liked the idea of hanging chairs. However, I don’t think I’d be willing or able to put 40 hours into making one. The fact that yours turned out so beautifully is amazing to me! I don’t know how you do it. I do really want a hanging chair of my own now, though. Thanks for sharing!

Liam
    May 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

This DIY hanging macrame chair is truly nice creation. I just like the white fabrics you’ve used to make the chair. I’m sure making this type of chair is very difficult, so hats off to you for great work.

Mia Greif
    July 6, 2016 at 7:44 pm

what did you use the poster board for?

Rachel
    July 7, 2016 at 6:44 am

I love this so much and want to make it for my room, but I have a few questions. What is your email?

qucinxz
    July 18, 2016 at 4:35 am

i can’t find the saucer chair like the one u used. i’m thinking to use double hula hoop. is that gonna work u think?