Chalk Paint Desk and Chair Makeover

Last week, I showed you how to remove veneer from wood furniture on this desk.

I have been looking for a desk for basically forever and I was super excited to find this one on craigslist. The ad was by a family that lived like 45 minutes away but they met me half way to pick it up! Yay!
This is how it looked when I got it home. It came with a matching chair too!
I made some DIY chalk paint in Glidden antique beige. I painted it and distressed it with a fine grit sanding block.

Then, I used Minwax paste finishing wax for the first time and I must say, I’m in love with how easy it is to use and how smooth and soft the finish is. Seriously, I’m shocked it took me so long to try out wax! This was also my 2nd time using chalk paint and let’s just say skipping the sanding and priming step is awesome! I’m hooked!

I got the knobs from Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off. I love crystal knobs and these ones had the antique bronze applique and decorative screw so I knew they’d be perfect!

The detail on this piece is just perfect! The carved appliques and the legs drew me in.
For the chair, I painted it with DIY Chalk Paint Recipe using Glidden Olivewood and finished it with Minwax Paste Finishing wax.

I really like the look of the mismatched paint but matching style. I also picked up this French Script fabric from Hobby Lobby. I reupholstered it using this method and reattached the seat cushion.

I’ve been itching to do some furniture lately and this really hit the spot! I’ve now learned that my furniture painting doesn’t have to stop because it’s freezing outside… just gotta hand paint with chalk paint! *winks*
Have you tried a DIY Chalk paint recipe yet? What about waxing? Are you a fan?
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

About Mallory & Savannah

Welcome to our blog! We’re so glad you’re here! We are Mallory and Savannah and we are the brains behind Classy Clutter, a one-stop-shop for all things creative. Classy Clutter keeps us connected from Arizona to New York. We hope you’ll enjoy our blog and come back often for inspiration, tips and tutorials. Thanks for stopping by!

25 Responses to Chalk Paint Desk and Chair Makeover

1. Color-Block says:

really cute….
    kisses

2. Jenna says:

That is so cute! I’ve done both homemade and Annie Sloan chalk paint and prefer the ASCP. I don’t love her wax, however, it can be really streaky. So nice to hear about the Miniwax. Great job

3. Bronwyn says:

What a gorgeous desk!! I like how the paint treatment brings out all of the textured details. Well done!

4. Wendy says:

I love it! DIY chalk paint is the only thing I use! It is so much easier to use! What is your recipe?

5. Jen says:

LOVE all the detail on the desk. And great job on the transformation!

6. That is one beautiful desk, love the two colors that you used! I’ve used both, the ASCP and the homemade and like them both. The ASCP is smoother though!

7. Jen says:

Mallory! Its gorgeous!!!! Love it so much. I’m glad you tried the minwax. I’ve wanted try it on a table and now maybe I will! You’re such an inspiration!!

8. Gretchen says:

It looks great! I’ve used homemade chalk paint quite a bit lately, and I like it….I kind of hate using wax, though! I do it, but I don’t like it :)

9. carol jane says:

Why do you need to use a wax on painted furniture? Is it for protective purposes? Just wondering. I never used it before.The desk is beautiful. Why do people give this stuff away?

10. Such a great makeover! The desk and chair look awesome!

11. Thank you for sharing your chalk paint recipe. I have used it on two items at a fraction the cost. I love the antique white color.

12. That looks AMAZING. What recipe did YOU use for the chalk paint? I love how it turned out… I think my favorite part is the different colors you used. Genius!

13. Great project!! Love those knobs :)

14. Danee says:

Isn’t it amazing how that desk went from looking garish and hideous to looking regal…with simply adding paint

15. Oh wow! This turned out so gorgeous…
    And those drawer pulls are super cute… What a great find!

hugs x
    Crystelle

16. That turned out beautiful!! I also am a huge fan of Minwax Finishing wax – I use it on all my projects!!

17. Absolutely stunning makeover!!! LOVE it! You did a fabulous job!!! Blessings ~ Judy

18. love the desk makeover it turned out beautiful , i would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,
    lauren

19. tom johnson says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

20. Thanks for sharing Very classic and unique chairs design.

21. Jonthan says:

It is look like a old furniture but is really very nice chairs and table.

22. Michelle R says:

Hey Mallory!

I love how the desk turned out! It looks great and completely different! We did something similar to an old desk. It kind of looked like yours at first but we went with a more funky orange color. Check it out: http://www.homeownershiptips.com/2013/05/02/how-to-refinish-repaint-a-desk/.

Best,

Michelle
    Editor of HomeownershipTips.com

23. LYNDSEY says:

Hey, just curious… did you only remove the top veneer? or did you remove the veneer from the drawers too? How did you do that? Are you allowed to paint over veneer?