DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial – Build your own!

I built this DIY Canned Food Organizer and it’s basically changed my life. Let’s start by saying, have you see my little kitchen?

It’s totally tiny but does a fine job suiting our needs…mostly… One problem I’ve run into with a small space is storage space. I’ve had to get a little creative and maximize the empty space hiding in the room since we’re lacking a pantry.  However, our kitchen had about a 6″ opening between our wall and the refrigerator.  Which btw, I didn’t even notice until I saw this pin on pinterest and knew I needed my own version stat!  This idea blew me out of the water! It will solve all of the world’s problems!! Or at least my kitchen space dilemma! *wink*

**NOTE** There are too many shelves on this plan. I ended up only doing 7 shelves total opposed to the 9 on the plan. My measurements and “shopping list” will include supplies for 7 shelves so just pretend those other 2 aren’t there in the plan above. ;)

Shopping list:
9 – 1×4″ boards cut to 29 1/2″ (top board, shelves, bottom board)
2 – 1×4″ boards cut to 64″ (Side boards)
1 – Thin board cut to 31 1/2 x 64″ (I used bead board/wainscoting board from Home Depot)
4 – 1 1/2 – 2″ Metal Casters that hold 50+ lbs (I used 2″, 80lb)
7 – 7/16 dowels cut to 30″ long (lumber section of Home Depot)
Handle or knob
Paint and Brush, Roller or Sprayer (if needed)

Tools and Supplies:
Drill
7/16″ drill bit for drilling dowel holes
several wood screws
several 2″ nails
several finishing nails
hammer
(I also used my jig saw to make some cuts that weren’t precise – you may not need to do this)

Directions:
1. Build the “ladder” by screwing and/or nailing all boards together to make the main structure (shown in red on my diagram. Note that you will screw two of the 1×4″ boards together at the base. I’ll show you why later. Tip: I used screws for the outside frame but found that nails worked best on the shelves. I used 2 on each side of each shelf.

2. Drill holes for dowels – Mine are about 1 1/2 ” from the bottom of the shelf and about a 1/4″ from the outside. I used a 7/16″ drill bit because that was the size of the dowels I chose.
3. Insert dowels into holes. Use wood glue for extra support. I may or may have not used hot glue. ;)

4. Next, if you want, paint a design or a pop of color on the inside of the cabinet. No one will see this unless it’s open so I wanted to do something fun. I mixed up some Oops! paints I had lying around and got this pretty blue/green color that matches some of my kitchen decor. You can totally just do it to match the outside and skip this step for now. As you can see, I chose a chevron design.

5. Use finishing nails to attach your back board. I placed nails on the outside perimeter and nails where the shelves were so it didn’t “bow” out the back if cans got shoved back there.

6. Fill any holes or cracks with paintable caulk or wood filler.

7. Paint! I used my HVLP spray gun and air compressor to paint mine and it went super fast. You could hand paint it or even spray paint it if you want!

8. Attach casters according to the package directions. Because my screws that attached to the casters were longer than 1″, I added that extra bottom 1×4″ board to have something more substantial to drill into when attaching the casters.

9. Attach your handle or knob to the front. I found that a handle (drawer pull) worked well to pull the cabinet in and out.

10. Fill it with your canned goods, spices, or whatever and that’s it!

**Updated to answer some FAQs:**
  • No. This is NOT a free-standing cabinet. It is fully supported by the wall on the left side and the refrigerator on the right side.  If it is pulled out too far, it could potentially fall. I built it over a year ago and have not had any issues with it at all but I suppose it could happen. You could install a stopper on the floor or locking casters to prevent an accident.
  • My refrigerator does not heat up on the sides and over the past year, I have had absolutely no issues with food spoiling from any heat. The fridge is completely cool to the touch.
  • The total was around $110 to build it. For all materials.
I have had a ton of inquiries about it and honestly, it’s one of the BEST projects I have done. It saves us SO much room and is basically life changing.

What do you guys think?! Isn’t this cool?? Is it weird that I love it so much? :) It has made a world of difference in my kitchen and I’m ecstatic!

Mallory Sig

About Mallory & Savannah

Welcome to our blog! We’re so glad you’re here! We are Mallory and Savannah and we are the brains behind Classy Clutter, a one-stop-shop for all things creative. Classy Clutter keeps us connected from Arizona to New York. We hope you’ll enjoy our blog and come back often for inspiration, tips and tutorials. Thanks for stopping by!

214 Responses to DIY Canned Food Organizer Tutorial – Build your own!

1. It’s lovely, creative, and a great use of otherwise useless space, but is it a good idea to keep canned foods on the side of the refridgerator where it gets hot? Maybe yours doesn’t do it, but the sides and back of my fridge are usually rather warm.

• I actually opted for the left side of the fridge to avoid this problem with the stove but my fridge doesn’t get hot at all. It actually stays quite cool! Thanks for stopping by!

• Petra says:

I Love this, Can’t wait to do it ….I just have 1 question.. how do you keep it from tipping over I don’t have anything on either side of my fridge no wall nothing…???? Please let me know….thanks..

• JackDesert says:

Okay, alter with a wider base and a small weight bolted on to keep it from tipping.
          Basically you use more on the side not along the fridge or you make a lip at the same level as the underside of the fridge to brace against it.

• Then it’s perfect :) I really like the zigzag you put on the back panel. Your whole house is coming up beautiful.

• brianna says:

This is pure genius! I absolutely love it! So would this be a problem to the right of my fridge??

2. Jen says:

Seriously love this Mal!!!! It looks so good! Love the chevron.

3. Hilary says:

Pure genious! Way to maximize the space in your adorable kitchen.

4. Jen says:

Love it!
    It’s such a great idea and such a space saver.

5. {gabbi.z} says:

This is amazing! I wish I was skilled enough to build it! It’s so pretty…

6. Wow! What a great idea! I’m always seeing those fancy pull out segments at Ikea and I’m totally jealous. I never thought of making one myself! I wouldn’t have room by the fridge, but we’re planning a move so maybe in the next house! Again- great job! I’d love for you to share on Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-3/

7. Super creative – it is practical and pretty – my favorite combination!

8. Laura says:

Beautiful post and blog!:) Would you like to follow each other?

9. This is better than the one I saw on pinterest. Amazing work! I bet the people you rent from LOOOOVE you guys!!!

10. Way to go Mallory!! This is seriously genius! You are amazing!!!

11. Jenn Gray says:

Super Cute. & Clever. Bythewayjenngray.blogspot.com

12. I LOVE this!!! I need to go check my fridge now & see if it’ll work for our space…. Thanks!!! :)

13. It’s amazing! Totally not weird that you love it so much, if I had one I would be drooling all over it (metaphorically of course) :) It’s looks fabulous, and I love that you added the chevron to the inside. I want one! Now I just need to find a few spare inches somewhere in our kitchen!

14. Brilliant! I’m soo pinning this! :-) You hooked me with this post! I’m a new follower! I’ll be looking forward to seeing more posts! :-)

15. Brilliant! I pinned it and I’m going to email it to my husband. We need this so badly! Thanks for the clear tutorial too! I just love it!

16. Amanda says:

What a great idea – and so wonderfully executed, too!

I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays on May 7th! Hope to see you there! (www.watchoutmartha.net )

17. Jackie says:

Saw you on Whatever Goes Wednesdays, and this is amazing ! You did a great job ! I have a small kitchen and would love something like this, but I plan on gutting the kitchen. However, I think this would we a cute little idea for the bathroom… Good job on your chevron stripes, too. Thanks for sharing !!

18. I just saw that your amazing airplane valance was featured on House of Hepworth’s this week!! WAY TO GO!!!!! :)

19. We need one of these, what a great idea!!

20. K F says:

Neat idea, but the civil engineer in me wants to know how this could possibly be safe?! I see it toppling over as soon as my preschooler pulls it out far enough to no longer be sandwiched between the wall and fridge. Can you explain how you keep it stable? Thanks.

• KF – Thanks for your question. Several measures have been taken to make sure this was as safe as possible for kids to be around. The wall on the opposite side of the fridge provides a lot of support. Also, the (4) casters have been placed to provide support and it actually stands up on its own when pulled out too far. The most important thing we did for safety is putting the handle high above the reach of my children. They cannot, even if they tried, pull the cabinet out at all. They also have shown zero interest in the cabinet which helps a bunch. I can assure you that my kids are perfectly safe regarding the cabinet as they cannot move it at all. Thanks!

• Robert says:

I am making one and while I don’t have kids in the house, I was going to put a chain or cord attached to the fridge or wall that would prevent it from being pulled out too far. add one top and bottom and it should not be an issue at all.

BTW: thanks for the great tutorial on this. I love it, I will let you know how it goes next month when I make it :D.

• bobonlyknows says:

I am building one right now, It is super easy to add a stop on it so it cannot be pulled out completely.

• Allen says:

What support are you talking about? You don’t mention anything about the opposite side.

21. This is awesome for “stepsaver” (read: tiny as heck) kitchens like mine! How did you place the casters to stop it from rubbing on the wall? I’m in an apartment and don’t want to have too many scratches to fix when it’s time to move out.

• Garden Goddess says:

I bet you could use a drawer slide attached to the wall and the back of your homemade cabinet. This would keep it from being pulled out to far as well as help it roll smooth.

• Nicki says:

Really good idea, thanks! I had thought of attaching a length of chain from the back to the wall as a stop, but your idea would keep it from rubbing on the wall or fridge as it goes in and out. Will be looking into doing this for my small kitchen.

22. Gabrielle says:

Be still my heart! Love love love it! Thanks for the great tutorial.

23. Jenny says:

I love this! How very creative. :o)

I do have one question. Do the things stored in it get very hot? My fridge & upright freezer both put off some heat & the sides are warm to touch. Do you notice this with your food you store here?

24. Brilliant! I never came across anyone in blogland with a kitchen as small as mine. Actually, I think you have more cabinets than I do, if you can believe that. Two doorways and a dining room opening further contribute to my space challenged kitchen so, like you, I can benefit from one of these. Thanks so much for sharing this great storage expansion idea. Heading over to Learning to Be Me (your inspiration for this project) to give thanks as well.

25. Really great storage solution! I am also pantry-less and always on the look-out for more storage space ideas. Thanks for sharing!

26. Amy says:

What a great idea! I like the way you incorporated design into the back.

27. Danielle says:

its so pretty. i would want to keep it out all the time.

28. lubbygirl says:

Very nice idea, and workmanship. Does the fridge door open OK with that there? I have a side-by-side, and wondered if it would work OK for mine. Thanks so much for sharing – I have to try this now, as soon as I get the lumber rounded up!

29. Kim says:

This is exactly what I need! I’m super excited!! Thank you thank you for the instructions for how to make it. I was just wondering if you have any problems with it scratching the side of your fridge. I didn’t know if pulling it in and out would end up making places where it rubbed.

30. Unknown says:

I would love to try this in our new home because it is a TINY kitchen! The only problem is there is no wall or anything on the side of our fridge, and it is next to our stove… I also have little ones so I wouldnt want to leave it out in danger of it tumping over

31. Anna says:

This is ingenious! Seriously hats off to you, this is the smartest use of wasted space that I’ve ever seen! I FBed it and Pinned it, thank you so much for sharing at the Weekend Warrior!

Anna

32. Lil' Luna says:

GREAT idea!! LOVE it!

33. Dee says:

Oh WOW! this is brilliant! It is so simple and so effective. It amazes me that no one seems to have come up with such a great way to store such items before now. Such ingenious thinking on your part.
    thanks for making it and sharing it. I am going to pin this so that I can show hubby and inspire him to assist me (mostly do it for me) to adapt and make one for our kitchen. The timing couldn’t be better as we are in the process of re-thinking our kitchen space. I will blog it when I get to it and link back to your blog too.

34. YOU ARE AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing this!

35. And I thought I was weird for hugging my kitchen countertops! What a fabulous idea! So fabulous that I was compelled to pin and FB it too …

Linda

36. What a great use of space! love it…

37. Iziko says:

Thats a brilliant idea!! Now Im wondering how I (read husband) can make something similar in our tiny kitchen…I dont have a perfect spot like u. But ill store this idea in my memory couse its a great idea! Only after reading todays post did I realize u r actually renting a place, Im amazed at what u have done to it! we r also renting but lets just say I wont be having a tour of our flat any time soon;) Thanks for posting! From Anita in Norway

38. What a fantastic idea…and it’s so pretty! It creates so much more usable space! I love your striped wall in the background too!

I would love if you would post it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any of your creative project!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

39. Gale says:

Instead of drilling right through, you can use a forstner bit and only go halfway, and then just have a fixed top and bottom, with finished edges.

40. lindsayinnyc says:

I *LOVE* this!!! My husband and I live outside NYC right now but will be moving into Manhattan next year when our lease is up. We’ve “window shopped” for apartments and it’s hit or miss when it comes to any sort of storage. But 6″ next to a fridge? That’s a little more doable. Great idea!!

41. stefani says:

This is great! I love the pop of color on the inside.

A friend got one of these when she remodeled her kitchen and I figured I would have to wait quite awhile to get one for my own. It never occured to me to build one. Thanks so much for the info. :-)

42. This is SOooooooooh ingenious. I am going to make one of these for our postage stamp sized kitchen. Thank You for sharing the idea (not to mention all of the measurements and such fab instructions.) You just made my decade!

43. Hannah says:

Just saw this on IHeartOrganizing… this is incredible! Thanks for the great tutorial!

44. D-L says:

Very cool! Question: Does it get top heavy? What stabilizes it from tipping over if it is pulled out (by a child, I’m thinking!)

45. Oh my goodness…I am soooo making this!! TFS!

46. Holy cow we have the exact same kitchen, only my stairs go down not up. Or at least thats what it looked like before I did a little reno (like move the stove to the corner and get rid of that jut out thing and put a dishwasher there – Imagine that and you can guess how much cupboard space I now have). This is such a cool idea. I am totally going to go measure and see if I have enough room to do this.

47. MichelleC says:

What a great way to use space and it’s so cute with the chevron stripes.

48. This is fantastic! My pantry is super tiny- this might be the perfect thing for me!! Pinning it now!

49. Hey there! Just wanted to let you know we featured you in our Favorite Find Fridays post over at Whimsically Homemade. We used one of your pictures. If that’s a problem let us know and we’ll remove it immediately. Thanks for your great inspiration!

50. Haydee says:

Yowza, that’s SO fantastic! Beautifully done..and I love the added dash of pizzaz with the chevron…you have endless bragging rights with this fabulous project!

51. Haydee says:

52. Haydee says:

53. This is such a great idea!! I love it! I need something like this but I don’t think I have enough room in my kitchen. Maybe in my next house!

54. What a clever idea! Love it!
    Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week! You’ll be featured at tonight’s party! :)
    XO!
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

55. So how do you keep it from being pulled out too far and falling over?

56. oldandgrumpy says:

I took out a window to box in a cantilevered pantry and fridge space, so I don’t need this, but I know someone who does. Now I know what to do with the large wheels I rediscovered in the shop the other day. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

57. Melisa says:

You’re not only clever, you’re handy with tools! This is so impressive.

58. What an awesome idea! Just pinned! Thanks for sharing :)

59. Curt says:

Just built it today for a friend. Pretty simple project but I’m in the business. Check for width. Built with 1×4′s and with the dowels it is pretty skinny for cans. Lots of storage for small space!

60. Linn says:

Brilliant :) thanks for sharing this.

61. tnstamper says:

This would be great too for oversized platters and lids.

62. kbruursema says:

Just wondering approx. how much you spent on the finished product? I want to go ahead and start this but want a ballpark estimate before I go in and have sticker shock! lol!

• Hi!

I spent about $110 at Home Depot on all of the supplies I needed. However, that price included 2 drill bits I purchased and I had the paint on hand so it can vary if you have a few items on hand. I’d guess around $100 total… TOTALLY worth it in my opinion as this has changed how my kitchen functions and I love it!! Thanks, Mallory!!

63. Tori says:

For your boards, you have 1×4″ — that is inches. Do you mean 1×4′ (foot)? Did you really have a foot of space betwen your fridge and wall?

This is such an awesome idea, and I’ve been looking for some extra storage space. I just know I don’t have a foot of space between the fridge and door. Maybe I’m just not understanding it correctly…I’m blonde ;P

• Tori, It is 1×4 inches. The boards are 1×4 inch boards used for building. The entire structure that you see when it is pushed in between the wall and fridge is 4″ wide by 64″ tall.

Thanks!

64. I just built this! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I modified for my space and I added a chain anchored to the wall to prevent the shelf from pulling all the way out and falling on the little one. Here is my pin! =)

65. johanna says:

Showed this to the Hubs this morning and he is already headed to Home Depot and Harbor Freight! I will have it in place this later today!

66. I am totally in love with this idea.. I have already pinned and shared it on my facebook page.. :D so excited to have you link up at craftionary..

67. Jesi says:

I’m curious, how much did this project cost you? I know wood can be pricey.

68. Maria says:

What a great idea! I love how you used such a small space in such an awesome way! LOVE IT!

69. Lycoris says:

I saw this too on pintrest! Thanks for the tutorial. Already thinking on how to modify it for my own needs. I just bought a bunch of the spice tins that are so popular now. I was thinking of a magnetic paint or metal plate of some sort on the back just over the cans. That way I can get them off the fridge. So afraid if I close the door to hard they will fall and make a mess.

70. Maybe I missed this part…however, I’m not sure how you get something that tall and thin to stay balanced? how do you keep it from falling over?

71. Jen says:

Thanks so much for sharing this! My grandmother used to have something like this in her home years ago, and I was just wondering to myself whether or not I could create something similar for my teeny-tiny kitchen, then BING! Someone pinned this to Pinterest and it caught my eye. I am totally doing this! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

72. I think it should be noted that the boards should be cut to 1×4″ because purchasing precut 1×4″ boards won’t give you enough depth. Those boards are not actually 1×4″ once measured, they are .75×3.5″. We built this using 1×4″ boards and now don’t have enough room for the dowels and the cans…Trying to figure out a better solution. Curt’s post above was correct, using 1×4′s is not gonna work for more normal size cans and larger items. Only smaller soup cans maybe.

• Hi Lesli,

I did use 1×4″ pre cut boards and had room for my dowels as well. I have soup cans as well as regular, standard size vegetable cans stored. Are you sure you used the small 7/16th inch dowels? My dowel holes are drilled almost to the very outside edge of the board to allow for enough space. I’m not sure what else could be different as the 1×4″ precut painted pine boards worked perfectly for me.

Thanks so much!

• I came across this problem too. I bought pre cut top choice wood from Lowes. They sell it as 1×4 but it measures .75 by 3.5. I found this out after I put on the wheels and it would not stand on it’s own. I was so sad. Since I had about 6 1/2 inches between wall and fridge, I decided to buy a 1×6 pre cut pine(not pre painted) and attach it to the bottom with about 10 screws. Funny because that board actually measured .75 x 5.5! I was lucky I had enough space to solve my issue this way because I had already built the whole thing!

Without the extra 1/2 inch, some of the shelves are a bit snug or too small for regular vegetable cans. But this still suits my needs. I use ttis for cooking wines, different vinegar, cooking oils, and baking goods so everything can be right there for easy access. I had different spacing plans for shelves of course.

One last issue I ran into was the wheels. My floor is tiled with grout spaces that are a bit wide and a pain to clean. So when weighed down with all the food products, the 2 inch wheels where a pain to deal with because they kept turning and catching in the grout spaces. For now I have leftover plywood sitting on the floor underneath, but I feel I may eventually change out the wheels for larger ones that don’t turn.

73. Becca says:

This was totally incredible!! Thanks so much for posting- I need this asap- well, I needed like a year ago- but asap will work!!
    Pinned it!
    xo Becca

74. June says:

Clever, clever, CLEVER! Thanks for sharing!

75. freewave04 says:

is there a reason for using swivel casters instead of fixed. just thought it would keep the unit in a straight line and stable.

76. Excellent idea! Making pantry units really a space saver and very affordable.

77. We just finished this project. Love it but one issue we r having is it leans backward due to the backing. Any suggestions to stabilize?

78. Thanks for posting this! I’ve been wanting one of these for ever as we have room beside the fridge for one – I’m showing Hubby your tutorial for sure!! Oh, and I’ve Pinned this too, thanks again!

79. This is what I need to do for my pantry.

It started as a 9 inch deep section. My hubby has deepened it but then we realized the shelves would be WAY too deep for me to reach all the way to the back. So the project has been halted for over 2 years. I wanted something that pulled out but never thought to do several thin ones.

I may modify your design and put dowels on each side so I can get to the shelves from either side.

Thanks!

80. This is such a great idea. I never seem to have enough space for the cans and spices. Not only is this project functional, it is so cute!

I would love it if you would share this at my new Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

Have a great day!

81. Debbie says:

This is a great idea. I have a space between my washer and dryer that is wasted. Your post gave me the idea of adapting this to store an ironing board with a hanging rod and maybe a folding table. The casters would allow me to roll the unit into the den where I could do my laundry and watch t.v.

82. I just found your website and bookmarked it in delicious. There is a ton of good information here for me to learn from. Thanks for sharing.

Storage Tents

83. This works fantasticly for my small kitchen! Now I have room to put away all the junk on my countertop! Everyone who’s seen it has been so impressed!

84. Stacy Thomas says:

I’m going to show this to the Mr and we will rework it for canning jars since we rarely by anything in a can. Awesome idea!

85. Kim says:

How do you make sure it doesnt scratch the wall?

86. Tasha says:

I have the worry, with it being so tall and narrow, that it would tip over. Have you had any issues? I am buying a house with hardly any storage space in the kitchen and no pantry and this would be awesome.

• I was wondering the same thing, I wonder if she alternates the wheels on either side to keep it from tipping over? Put still, It seems too skinny to put the wheels far enough apart on each side to keep it from tipping over

• Hi!

This is NOT a free standing cabinet. It absolutely will tip over if you do not have it wedged between the wall and the refrigerator. I’m not sure that putting heavier items at the bottom would work but you could certainly try. I have mine wedged in between the wall and fridge and I just slide it in and out when I need something. It is stable until it is pulled out too far. I have not had any problems with it toppling over as I am careful to support it when I slide it out to get an item.

Thanks,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

• Tim Nolte says:

Thanks for the clarification, it wasn’t clear from the photos or instructions. I’m thinking that attaching it to the wall somehow would be the best for child safety. I’ll have to figure something out if we do this. Our son is into everything so I wouldn’t want to take the chance.

• This got picked up by LifeHacker, and several of the commenters there have suggested using drawer rails for stability and support (the casters still hold the weight), as well as simpler things like stops or tethers to keep it from being pulled out too far to begin with.

87. Heidi Fowler says:

Wow! Love this. I’m a new facebook follower. I’d love it if you visited me at OneCreativeMommy.com.

88. Mel says:

This is fantastic, I really want to have a go when I get to our kitchen. Nice job!

89. Catarina Ek says:

wow! I am already planning this in my head… thinking about what items I have that I could use. I am definitely doing something inspired by this… I will let you know how it goes.

90. Fantastic idea, every kitchen should have one.

Sue

91. yumccc says:

I love it! So clever.

92. mitch irons says:

Brilliant!! Love the color and the whole storage! I will try to make one for our kitchen! Thank you so much!

perth removal

93. What a great idea! I would love to have some extra space in my pantry.

Jessica @ At Home Take 2

94. Buzzy Hansen says:

THIS IS AWESOME! One of the houses we’ve been looking at doesn’t have an official pantry.. This is the perfect solution!

95. Melissy78 says:

Awesome idea!!! AND….noticed the Wegmans cans :) Love Wegmans!! Are you in NY?

96. It’s worked out very well! Great job on building this pantry.
    Saw you sharing at Funky Junk’s SNS
    Debbie :)

97. mustang6027 says:

Just made this! Used Brick paneling & it looks super sweet! Thank you for the idea!

98. SwampCatNana says:

Is there a print out version of the tutorial?

99. Katie says:

Best idea ever! I just looked to see if I have enough room to make one of these and I do not! Darn. That creates so much storage.

100. LAnamas says:

It seems tall and that it might be off balance, unless the casters are placed correctly. How are the casters spaced to avoid the problem of the sliding cabinet toppling over? (It is hard to tell by the instructions.)

• Hi!

This is NOT a free standing cabinet. It absolutely will tip over if you do not have it wedged between the wall and the refrigerator. I’m not sure that putting heavier items at the bottom would work but you could certainly try. I have mine wedged in between the wall and fridge and I just slide it in and out when I need something. I have not had any problems with it toppling over as I am careful to support it when I slide it out to get an item.

I have spread the casters out to help with stability but DO NOT expect it to stand on it’s own. It is much to tall, thin and heavy for that. I have had no problems with it in our kitchen but it must fit properly in between to supports (a wall, etc) to prevent any toppling over.

Thanks,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

101. I have the same question as LAnamas. My hubby and I are wanting to make this, but we are concerned about it falling over, especially with kids. Any thoughts? I suppose if you take care to put heavier items towards the bottom, that would probably help stabilize…

• Hi!

Thanks,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

102. Update. I wish I would have carefully read through all the comments before my husband constructed this. We bought 1×4′s from Lowe’s which, much to my chagrin, are not actually 1″x4″. My husband and I spent a lot of time arguing today over why YOU could fit spaghetti jars on your shelves with 7/16″ dowel rods, but we could not. :-) The reason is the size of the boards.

I love this design, but I would recommend that you make note in the tutorial that not all 1×4′s are created equal. I know you probably didn’t know that when making your pantry, but it would save the rest of us trying to replicate your awesome design a LOT of trouble. :-)

• How much did it cost to make?

• Nicki says:

Sorry but it’s fairly common knowledge that the posted call outs of boards (2×4, 1×4, etc) are not the actual finished dimensions. “When the board is first rough sawn from the log, it is a true 1×4, but the drying process and planing of the board reduce it to the finished size.”

A soup can is 3 inches. The 1×4 is 3.75. with a 7/16″ dowel placed close to the edge of the 1/4, that leaves 1/4 clearance.

103. john mart says:

This is fantastic, I really want to have a go when I get to our kitchen.I just looked to see if I have enough room to make one of these and I do not! Nice job!
    Moving Boxes NYC

104. Gallo Pinto2 says:

My husband made me one yesterday for my birthday. We actually used precut 1 x 6 boards from Lowes since we have SO MUCH ROOM next to our fridge and it turned out beautifully. Thanks for the great tutorial. We are waiting to paint ours this summer but at least now I have storage!!!

105. Wow! I will have to try this. I don’t have a closet pantry in my small kitchen, so the cabinet that I use as a pantry is always getting too full. Thanks for the post!

106. Renato says:

lindo seu espaço :-)
    estou compartilhando aqui
    Forte abraço Renato Artesanato em MDF

107. I agree with everyone that this is a great idea, but my main concern is cost. How much did the project cost? I was told by someone that it would cost me around $50 which is kind of steep for me. Please, all who have made this, tell me how much does it really cost before I get excited about it. I live in a small apartment with a tiny kitchen and I have the space on the side of the fridge to definitely accomodate this pantry on wheels.

• This is going to cost you at least $50 for the wood. I used whitewood which is a step above the lowest grade wood but it saved me A LOT of sanding. You Should get a better deal at a local owed store over a corporate store like Lowes or Home Depot. Then you need the castors (cheapest I found were $2.00 each one), drawer handle ($3-$5), and paint if you so desire. Also need screws and nails if you don’t have them already. It adds up fast.

• Hi!

It cost around $100 to make after lumber, casters, dowels, paint, etc.

Thanks!

Mallory @ Classy Clutter

108. Zephyr Hill says:

Hi, Mallory, I just found your amazing project on Pinterest! It’s so SUPER! I’m a blogger, too, and it gets discouraging when no one makes comments (I do tutorials sometimes, too), so I wanted to be sure to come find you in Blogland and tell you how great this is! Kudos to you for living with and loving your small space, too!

109. Ryan Sandnes says:

That is fantastic.. I think I know what a future project is gonna have to be!=)

110. Tina Veselka says:

I love this idea! I have a nice useless space next to my fridge this would be perfect for. I have read thru all the directions and all the comments. As such, I will definitely be measuring my space before purchasing supplies. I will also be using thin lattice strips, instead of dowels, on both sides to allow access from either side. I will also nail or glue a board ‘stop’ on the floor to prevent the unit from being completely pulled out. I may also put locking wheels on the front so that one can’t just walkover and yank it out. I will probably paint the exposed side with chalkboard paint to use as a Menu or shopping list. This project will be my “reward” for getting my house decluttered and organized this month. Thanks for the great idea!

111. odile says:

this is just too cool. I want to make one and I will. I read the directions and I am bit confused about some of the parts, but I hope to figure it out.

112. heidi says:

i saw another person made one of these after seeing yours. she anchored it to the wall using a chain so that it couldn’t be pulled out far enough to tip. i also see that you have yours place between your fridge and wall for stability.
    thanks for the awesome idea.

113. Unitechindia says:

Deals in manufacturing and supplying supermarket shelf such as library shelf library book shelf, glass library shelf, book storage shelf, corrosion resistant book shelf and decorative book shelf.

For more details visit us:

114. Debbie Jones says:

The one concern my husband has is regarding the casters. When it is pulled out all the way, are the casters enough to hold it without falling over to one side?

115. Noelle says:

I made this cabinet soon after I saw it. I love it. It holds so much stuff. I really love that I can see all of my spices now. Thank you so much for sharing.

116. Love this space saver of an idea.
    Instead of drilling the holes for dowel rods do you think using tension rods ( like for curtains) would work as well?

117. Ian Anderson says:

Wow Mallory, so many people are not only inspired but actually making this project, that rocks!

Amazing what you can fit into a small space isn’t it!

118. Sarge says:

Really a great idea. I Plan to build it for my wife. Thanks so much for the insight.

119. nomzam says:

What a great dea am surely copying your idea. Just bit of change actually I want a wooden wine rack so I ca do this too.
    Thank you.

120. Drew says:

So, why 4 casters? Why not just 2?

121. redtelephone says:

thanks for the great idea. We adjusted the idea for our space and use a drawer slide to add stability and make it easier to pull out and only used two casters.

122. Chris J says:

Coolest. Thing. Ever. I’ll be building this shortly for our tiny apartment kitchen. However, I may think of replace some of the top shelving with a place to hang a couple of pans, baking trays, and cooking utensils, as it would be directly next to my stove/oven.

123. Sallie424 says:

This is wonderful Thanks for the construction post! Scaling down markedly and this is calling to me, for the kitchen, I’m sure!

124. Sallie424 says:

125. Unknown says:

Fantastic Suggestion – exactly to my taste.

In Europe they call these cabinets “Pharmacy Cabinets” because the pharmacists use deep pull out cabinets just like this to efficiently store all the itty bitty drugs and vials. Space is at a premium over there – HENCE why IKEA offers it.
    I plan on building or buying one FLOOR TO CIELING with two 12 inch pullouts.
    It will have a left and right wall and a top. . . for TRACKS to guide and glide.

Caster on floor is good, but interested in comments and thoughts on using DRAWER GLIDES, left and right every two feet of the height. (inset at shelf level?)

Any more thoughts on size limitations for this sort of pantry?
    Gene in Nashville

126. Absolutely beautiful!!! Just pinned this and put it on my husbands to-do-list! So creative with the chevron on the back!

127. Girl I have seen this floating around Pinterest for sure. I actually ran to my fridge to see if it would work in my space too. Fabulous!

128. Pingback: 16 Great Home Organizing Ideas I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker

129. jessesToons says:

I loved every bit of this, I wish I had skills like this. My dad used to build cabinets and I could never figure it out. I would love to get more experience with it. I’ve been looking around and have heard of these cabinets in Halifax that I would probably really enjoy trying out. I guess we’ll see how it goes. So fun!

130. Pingback: Stealth Pantry Reclaim Kitchen Space - Did Ya See?

131. Pingback: Katie Holmes Stops By Her Manhattan Storage UnitHot-searches.co.uk | Hot-searches.co.uk

132. jessesToons says:

I love this, its just what I’ve been looking for. My husband and I just moved into this new home and we are short on space right now. We’ve got a lot of stuff and its been hard trying to find some extra storage in Edmonton. Looks like I’m going to have to be creative. I guess we’ll see how it all goes, wish us luck!

133. naboss says:

Thank you so very much for sharing this project in concise detail and inspiring my boyfriend and I to [finally] solve our kitchen dilema! We figured out the schematics for what will fit in between our fridge/wall, purchased the materials, and prepared all but one aspect. I’ve read through your wonderfully clear instructions and the comments posted above; however, I am left with just one question I am hoping you could answer:
    Someone above brought up the “swivel” vs “fixed” casters contention, but I did not see a response in favor of one or the other. Since you have the swivel one in practice, is there a reason why we would want to use the swivel casters and not the fixed ones?
    Thank you again!

134. Pingback: La bonne astuce pour ranger sa cuisine… qui ne prend pas de place ! | Je fouine, tu fouines, il fouine... nous fouinons

135. Pingback: Brilliant Space Saver Project – DIY Canned Food Cabinet - DIY & Crafts

136. Pingback: Brilliant Space-Saving Solution – DIY Canned Food Cabinet - DIY & Crafts

137. Mike says:

wish we could buy these pre-made! This looks fairly easy, but I’m not sure I have the patience and skill.

138. Abby says:

This looks so fantastic! We have a similar gap in between our fridge and wall and I shove our cookie sheets, muffin tins, and cooling racks in there because it’s convenient but it looks horrible. I was searching for some sort of pull out organizer for them when I found this… I LOVE IT! I’ll just do two shelves and move the dowels up a few inches to allow cookie sheets to be slid in. I hope it works like I think it will, haha, thank you for the tutorial!

139. Pingback: 60+ Innovative Kitchen Organization and Storage DIY Projects - DIY & Crafts

140. Tiffany Mom 2-4 says:

How much did the whole project cost? I have the perfect place next to my fridge and could use a place to store my can goods and seasonings. Thanks for a great idea.

141. Pingback: DIY | Pearltrees

142. Carol says:

I love this idea I’m going to get everything I need for it today. It’s perfect for the spot by my refrigerator. I have 2 sisters wanting one now. I guess we can make them all at once. Thank you for sharing.

143. Rustybeth says:

Something like this plan would be a great thing to use as a front facing book shelf for kids. OF course, not on coasters, and affixed to a wall, but a great option for little readers. I feel other ideas coming on as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

144. Pingback: How to Add More Storage Space | Davis Homemade & DIY

145. Nagham says:

we just built ours ,came out pretty neat ,thanks for sharing
    would love some tutorials for walk in closet too !

146. Pingback: Slide-Out Kitchen Storage | Design Happens

147. Pingback: Make A DIY Canned Food Cabinet! | Hurricane 360 Spin Mop Reviews

148. yuppicide says:

I’ve seen this before, but you’re the first one I saw that posted building plans.

I wish someone manufactured these pre-built, but the problem comes is that it can tip over and the company can get sued? So, why not install a closet track on the top.. similar to how a closet door is on a track when it slides open. This will keep it from pulling out all the way.

149. Pingback: 19 Great DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas | Style Motivation

150. Hi Dee Heermann says:

My bf and I made one this past weekend and it turned out awesome! Showed the pic to three people and they all want me to make one! :-D:-D

151. Pingback: Top 10 Kitchen Organization Hacks You Never Thought Of | Top 10 Kitchen

152. Pingback: 5 ways to make a tiny kitchen look and feel larger!

153. John says:

I am a do it your self guy, I have built and mad many things over the years, and I do it the same way, just from my head, I don’t have any design plans, other then a drawing I did to go by if I nee it, if you need any tips, I would gladly give what I can.
    If you belong to face book, you can look me up and I have an album of things I built over the years. find me under Jay Mac it’s a picture of a blue “2013″ here is the link directly to my album:

154. alice says:

I love this!!! I can’t wait to make it. My daughter will be so jealous, cause she doesn’t have the space beside her fridge!!! lol

155. I love, love, love this! What a great way to maximize space in a small kitchen. Pinning this now! I’m stopping by from Link Party Palooza (#142 First Day of School Photo Tutorial) Have a wonderful weekend!
    Carrie This Home recently posted…First Day Of School Picture {Tutorial}My Profile

156. Pingback: Top 10 Awesome DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas

157. Pingback: 10 idee per tenere in ordine la cucina

158. Pingback: Top 10 Awesome DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas - Top Inspired

159. Such a great idea you shared with us ,this idea will help me to save a lot of space and it is also looking too good .Thanks for Sharing .

160. Lourdes says:

Genius!

161. Pingback: PinBusted or PinTrusted: Upright Pantry Storage | GeekMomGeekMom

162. Pingback: FREE Measurement Conversion Chart Printable and the best invention ever!

163. juanita spencer says:

The hubby made me one, only he used 1 x 6 boards and used peg board for the back I use small baskets to put small items in like gravy mixes. I love it.

164. Earl Judds says:

These are great ideas for self storage. I am going to try this!

165. Pingback: 27 Creative Storage Ideas

166. Katie says:

This would be the perfect solution for my super tiny kitchen that lacks storage and a pantry. I need to make this.

167. Lurae says:

My husband and I built this and found that with the 1×4 after we added the dowels we BARELY had room for a small spice can on the shelf. In the picture I see what appears to be regular sized cans. My husband is a very experienced “DIYer”, very sure he didn’t goof up on the measurements. So he simply added 1×1 around the back of the shelf, then added the back piece. Worked fine. Built one for our daughter and used 1×6 to start with and turned out perfect. Just a word of caution.

168. Pingback: Rolling Right Along: Our New Rolling Pantry | gourley girl & guy

169. Pingback: Mini despensa aprovechando espacio »

170. Pingback: Ikea Hackers | Pearltrees

171. Phil says:

I just built this. Today. In three hours. The design is perfect. I used 1×6′s instead to give it a bit more depth, but changed nothing else. I’m going to add a drawer rail in the back to keep it in place and to prevent rolling it out too far. Thanks for the awesome design!

172. Pingback: DIY CANNED FOOD ORGANIZER TUTORIAL – BUILD YOUR OWN!

173. Pingback: 7 Unexpected Storage Spaces in Your Kitchen - Trinidad & Tobago Mortgage Finance Co. Ltd.

174. if you don’t want to put can goods in it, I think using the space for brooms or dustpans, things like that would work as well. just another idea.

175. Allan says:

A couple of questions come up about rubbing the walls or fridge, heat and stability. Most hardware stores sell silicone bumpers with adhesive backing. Buy some that are 1/2 inch in diameter and attach to the wall and refrigerator. These will provide protection. As for stability, there are a couple of thoughts. Drawer slides have been suggested and are good if the other half can be mounted on a wall or upper cabinet. If its not possible, then wider is more stable. 6 inches would be better plus keep all heavy items at the bottom. As for heat, use 2 sheets for the backing and sandwich 1/4 inch styrofoam in the middle. You could also use foam sheeting used for packaging. Its really thin. If appearance is not an issue, then just put the styrofoam on the inside before the shelves go in. An observation is that rotating casters are shown. I think fixed casters would be better as there can be some wiggle when the casters rotate. Great idea

176. Tina says:

I have been mulling this idea around in my head for a couple of years. Nice to see someone has actually made one. I have a larger space so I plan to do two. I also will make the more stable so they can roll out on their own and not need the support of the wall or frig. Thanks for all of the tips on this one. I’ll definintely be able to use all of that info and adapt it to what I want to make.

177. Pingback: Creative DIY Ways for Better Kitchen Organization

178. Angela and Sarah (Emergency Essentials, LLC.) says:

Hi Mallory,
    We are writing an article, and wanted to highlight your tutorial. We are an emergency preparedness store (beprepared.com) and think this is a great concept for emergency food storage. We’d like to get permission from you to use the picture of your shelf for our weekly email and blog post. We are of course, linking back to your page and giving you full credit for the tutorial. Please email us and let us know.

179. Heather says:

I made something similar but it is a vertical can rotation rack with a space for water bottles underneath. Mine does not roll, and I glued extra strong magnets on the back to attach to my fridge. It holds 44 cans and 27 water bottles. It appears very sturdy even when I shook it like an earthquake would. I haven’t painted it yet, but am very happy with it. Of course if the “Big one” hits, it more than likely would fall down, but there is a wall that it would lean against and not fall completely to the floor.

180. Helen says:

I love this idea and I really need one of these. I’ve been studying your plans and I did not see how much space you allowed between shelves. Could you share that info with me?
    Thanks so much!