DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Since pretty much the beginning of time, I’ve loved anything sparkly. Ask anyone. I always loved having a sparkly rhinestone license plate but we only have one family car. Lucky for me, my husband just rolls his eyes and lets me do it. He’s awesome like that. If you love everything sparkly like me, you’ll be excited for the tutorial I have for you today!

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Materials:

• License Plate Frame that fits your vehicle – Make sure to get one that is legal in your state. I’ve heard that some states are super picky about the frames covering any graphics or text on the license plate. These thin silver frames are the best!
  • Rhinestones – I used 20ss size in “Silver Night” for the color. I purchased them from this shop on Etsy.
  • E6000 – the ONLY glue I’ll rhinestone with.
  • Crayon (preferably white) or wax – I used orthodontic dental wax
  • Wooden skewer
  • Syringe – most pharmacies will give you these or they come with most children’s medicine.

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

First, get your materials ready. If you are not using a crayon, make a pea size ball of wax and stick it on the end of your wooden skewer. You could stick it on a sharpened pencil if you have that on hand.

I love this tip. Fill your syringe with glue! The E6000 tube is terrible about leaking everywhere if you squeeze it and don’t put the cap right back on. The syringe allows me to use just what I need without making a mess.

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Squeeze a small amount of glue onto a 1/2″ – 1″ section of your project. If you do too large of a section, the glue will dry before you get to it. Lame.

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Use your crayon or wax ball to pick up your rhinestones and carry them to your project.

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Place your rhinestone onto the glue and it will come right off of the wax ball. It’s basically the best, most efficient way to rhinestone anything. This allows you go do this project SUPER fast instead of fiddling with tweezers or trying to do it with your fingers and thus gluing your fingers together. Not that I’ve had that happen ever… 😉

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Work your way all the way around your frame and Ta-da!! That’s it! This is sooo easy and looks stinkin’ cute on your car. Also makes an awesome gift.

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Hope you enjoyed this little blinged out craft and you’ll make your own DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame!

DIY Rhinestone License Plate Frame - Great gift idea! - www.classyclutter.net

Mallory Bombshell Sig.png

Shop this project with text

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Elisha @ Pneumatic Addict Furniture
    June 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Genius! I never would have thought to put the glue in a syringe, but it makes perfect sense!
    Elisha @ Pneumatic Addict Furniture recently posted…Mighty Metal CabinetMy Profile

Barbara in Newport, RI
    June 17, 2014 at 2:15 pm

WOW…thank-you so much for sharing ! I’ve been wanting to bling out a few things but wasn’t sure how to approach it without making a huge mess. Tweezers are out of the question because I’m in the beginning stages of arthritis and my fingers just aren’t as nimble. Same dealing with a tube of glue. This I can do ! hummm…..my license plate, iphone, flip flops, accents on sun glasses, ……bye, gotta go !

carol
    June 20, 2014 at 6:13 am

going to have to make one of these I love sparkle

Kim
    June 27, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Gorgeous! How many rhinestones did you need to make the licence plate frame?

June 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

Hi Kim!

I used about 2 gross.

Thanks!!

Jessica
        January 20, 2017 at 11:44 am

What does 2 gross mean? Sorry, am new to crafting so that familiar with the term lol

Karley
    July 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Did your rhinestones last through weather conditions with this glue? I’ve ordered so many pre made license plate frames with the bling but they never last through water and heat. I’m better off making my own if the glue is right! Love your tips!!!

Bettina Madsen
      August 19, 2015 at 5:37 pm

My thought exactly! I bought two of them and the first one didn’t last long at all. The second one not even a year :(.

Karley
    July 7, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Did your rhinestones last through weather conditions and car washes with this glue? Ive never used E6000 so it’s a new territory for me. I’ve ordered so many premise frames with the bling and none seem to last! I’m better off following your WONDERFUL TIPS and making my own! Unique and done right!

July 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Hi Karley!

I usually take it off through the winter since the frame itself will rust with months and months of snow. I live in Western NY so we get a TON of snow. When I lived in Arizona, it held up great! Hope that helps! xoxo – Mallory

SANDRA CORLESS
    January 1, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I enjoyed your ideas.

phylena
    March 22, 2015 at 9:02 pm

what do you spray the plate with to make it last through weather and car washes

March 23, 2015 at 11:00 am

Hi Phylena! I’d recommend a clean polycrylic and remove it during the winter if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and salt on the road. Thanks!

Ericca
    May 1, 2015 at 11:51 am

I love love love this DIY! I was looking for a beautiful bling plate but I did not want the standard colors of Clear or AB nor did I want to spend over $100. Found an amazing site that had Swarovski crystals in a color called Paradise Shine. I purchased them in various sizes SS12, 16 and 20. Unfortunately the 300 I bought wasn’t enough :0) (Lol ordering more) but I am so excited to finish this project thanks to you! Finding the recommended materials was so easy! I goofed at the beginning with the glue. Pulled it off and was able to start over! Thank you!

Ericca
      May 24, 2016 at 12:32 pm

This literally took me a year to finish. I finished last night. I sure it took over 1000 stone to cover lol. Thanks for the tips!

Bettina Madsen
    August 19, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hi Mallory,

I live in California. We don’t get snow where I live. Do you recommend spraying the finished license plate with something to protect it from the normal wash, rain, etc?

Thanks!

Malisa
    October 22, 2015 at 9:11 am

Thank you so much for sharing! This will save me so much money and I could decorate my license plate frame how I like it.

Riley Mendez
    April 15, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Thank you! I do all kinds of projects with glitter and rhinestones, never use the really small stones because of the glue getting all over my hands or burning myself with the glue . I will now and I have many.
    Thanks again!
    Riley

Patty Virginia
    October 30, 2016 at 5:41 am

I’ve been looking for a glue for applying rhinestones, gotta try it. Great tutorial, easy to follow. Thanks for sharing.