So recently I went to Costco and bought a ginormous bag of Black Chia Seeds. What in heavens name am I going to do with 2 pounds of Chia Seeds?! Apparently they are all the rage right now. Probably because they’re high in protein, fiber and Omega 3′s. I was a little skeptical about eating seeds…but after trying them, I gotta say, I like them!
I stir a couple tablespoons in my yogurt every morning and it adds a nice little crunch plus keeps me fuller longer. You can add them to almost anything you eat since they don’t change the flavor of it.
When I added the chia seeds to these muffins, I didn’t tell my two older boys and I had them try one. They didn’t say one word. Literally. They inhaled about half the batch right away. If you don’t have hungry pre-teen boys at your house, I suggest freezing the amount you can’t eat and heating one up in the microwave for a few seconds when you get a chocolate craving. Also, if you don’t have chia seeds on hand, you can make this recipe without it, but I suggest giving them a try!
Chocolate Mini Muffins with Chia Seeds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. black chia seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1 (6-oz) container low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray (or use a 12-cup muffin tin and line with paper liner or spray with cooking spray).
- Combine flours, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa, baking soda and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl. In another small bowl, combine egg, yogurt, milk and oil with a whisk. Pour into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Scoop into muffin tins. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until springs back when touched on top. Enjoy!