DIY Colorblock Pillow Tutorial

DIY Colorblock Pillow

Well hello! So, we about died when Brooke asked us to guest post on All Things Thrifty! Holy.friggin.cow!!! Her blog is only the reason we started blogging 3 years ago! (Insert shocked/excited/ecstatic face here) πŸ˜‰ We wanted to share the post we did for All Things Thrifty for you guys in case you missed it!

Let me preface this tutorial with a disclaimer. ANYone can sew this! This is an absolute first timer, beginner sewing tutorial. If you have a sewing machine, you can do this; whether you’ve used it before or not! So so easy! Let’s get started, shall we?

Colorblock Pillow_Materials

First, gather your fabric and some basic sewing materials. You will also need a sewing machine, obviously! Choose 3 solid colored fabrics and you only need like a quarter yard of each accent color and 1/2 a yard of your main color. We used 1/4 yard of light grey and color and 1/2 a yard of navy. This is really inexpensive fabric from Joann’s. It’s just plain cotton.

Colorblock Pillow_Cut Stripes

Next, cut your color block pieces. This tutorial is for an 18″ square pillow so you may need to adjust your measurements if you’re doing a smaller or larger pillow. I’ve found 18×18″ to be somewhat standard. You will need to cut 3 rectangles (pictured above) and 18.5″x18.5″ square in your main color for the back. The back of this pillow is in the navy blue.

Colorblock Pillow_Sew Stripes

Next, using a 1/4 seam allowance, sew your rectangles together to create the color block look. Then, place the right sides together of your 18.5″ squares and sew along 3 sides.  Your pillow cover will be 18″x18″ square. There is 1/2″ extra for 1/4″ seam allowances on each side. Does that make sense?

Colorblock Pillow_Sew Side

Turn your sewn pillow cover right side out and insert a pillow form. After you have your pillow cover stuffed with a pillow form, pin the final side folding in the raw edges. Then, sew along the side you pinned and voila! DONE!

Colorblock Pillow_Final3

This is another pillow I did with Coral as the main color. I love it both ways.

Colorblock Pillow_Final2

Here it is all propped pretty on my couch with some other pillows I used. If you want to be able to wash your pillow covers, use this tutorial for creating an envelope cover for the back side. It’s SUPER easy too, just requires a little more fabric. You could also insert a zipper if you’d like! I, for one, still need to work on my zipper sewing skills. πŸ˜‰

Colorblock Pillow_Final1

Hope you like it! I’m well on my way to a new living room design and I can’t wait to show you!

Mallory_Sig

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Dominique
    August 16, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I can’t sew so I won’t attempt this project but I must say these pillows are gorgeous and this is my favorite current color scheme.

Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeeofus
    August 17, 2013 at 9:16 am

So in love with this! Why didn’t I think of it? Thanks for the inspiration.
    Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeeofus recently posted…Fabric Covered Bulletin BoardMy Profile

Taffee
    August 18, 2013 at 10:08 am

Hi, I just found your blog and love it! I was reading the color block pillow tutorial which seems very easy and I can’t wait to try it. My question is could you tell me who makes the blue and white, and coral and white geometric fabric you used on the other pillows and where you found it. I love those prints so much.

I’ll be following your blog regularly now….love it.

Pam @ This House Our Home
    August 18, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I love how your color block pillows turned out! I’m in need of new pillows. I’m not that good at sewing but it seems simple enough, so I may just have to steel this idea!

Home Coming
    August 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm

BEAUTIFUL!
    Home Coming recently posted…The DIY’ers and our country weekendMy Profile

Michaela
    August 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I love this look! Thanks so much for the great inspiration!
    Michaela recently posted…Appliqued Bib Tutorial {with free pattern!}My Profile

suburbsmama
    August 31, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Love the pillow! If you get a chance, please link up to my link party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunday-linky-23.html
    suburbsmama recently posted…Sunday Linky #23My Profile

20 DIY Projects {Link Party Features} I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking
    September 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm

[…] DIY Colorblock Pillow Tutorial from Classy Clutter […]

Chelsea
    September 3, 2013 at 12:06 am

So so so cute! I love the navy and coral combo so much right now!
    Chelsea recently posted…Fall Decor: Burlap Stenciled Outdoor PillowMy Profile

DIY Throw Pillow Ideas
    September 6, 2013 at 2:39 pm

[…] DIY Colorblock Pillow Tutorial […]

Frances @ Improvementlist
    September 13, 2013 at 7:13 pm

This is such a great look. I am going to try this out.
    Frances @ Improvementlist recently posted…Fill Up the CalenderMy Profile

Shannon Madigan
    September 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm

These pillows are so simple and pretty… love the coral and blue together!
    Shannon Madigan recently posted…Simply Wicked DIY Painted CandlesMy Profile

My Recipe Magic/Six Sisters
    September 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Love these color block pillows. Thanks for the great tutorial! -The Six Sisters

Zakkiya Hamza
    April 15, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I’m absolutely in love with this. I would love this on my couch right now. Too bad I cannot sew even if I tried πŸ˜€
    Zakkiya Hamza recently posted…Easter egg art: Landscape paintingMy Profile