How to freshen your towels and get rid of that mildew stink

Towels_text
Admit it. Your towels have smelled mildewy, moldy, like they sat wet for ever and ever because you left them in the washer too long. Well, I do it all too often. It happens. You think you’re being productive because you threw a load of laundry in, then you forgot to toss them into the dryer and your clothes or towels developed this nasty smelling odor that just lingers and is just plain gross.
Well, evidently it is because dirt, grime and detergent build up gets buried into the fibers of towels and clothing and when they are left wet, it can create that awful smell. Gross huh? I mean, we’ve all dried off with one of those towels before and then it’s like “why did I even shower?” You smell worse than before! Am I right? S.I.C.K.
Well, don’t fret because it is super duper easy to freshen those towels and get rid of the yuck!
Instructions:
Wash your load of towels on the hot cycle and add 1 cup of vinegar to the load. Do not use detergent or anything (especially bleach – that can be super dangerous!)… just hot water and the vinegar. Let the washer do it’s job. Then, if you still smell a little bit, rewash with just hot water and 1/2 cup of baking soda. I did not need to do this step but if your towels are bad, you might want to. Again, no detergent, just baking soda and hot water. Got it?
When your towels are done, throw them in the dryer. Done and done! They always come out smelling great and fresh!
This also works well on clothing, like stinky wet swimsuits that were left sopping wet out of the pool! Just be sure to be careful with the hot water and mixing colors. You don’t want the colors to bleed so do them separately or with very like colors.
You can thank me later,
Check out Spring Cleaning Day 1 – Printable Cleaning and Laundry Schedules here
Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Kelsey Mazzone
    April 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

Great Post 🙂

Lori E
    April 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I never used to have that problem but over the last couple years it has started with my towels. Not because they have been left wet but after the wash & dry cycles they smell again right away when used in the bathroom. I will give this a try and worst case scenario I will be craving french fries and vinegar.

Kathy (Pearls in Paradise)
    April 9, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Yet another great use for vinegar. Thanks for the tip!

Danee
    April 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Ahhh but you should NEVER use fabric softener with towels- it makes them less absorbent according to Martha Stewart. Great tip with vinegar. I finally started buying all white towels because I use bleach. I shall try the vinegar trick next time.

Stephanie Brenner
      May 20, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I thought the same thing about the fabric softener. I stopped using it and my towels are much more absorbent. I will be trying the vinegar and the regular wash cycle for the stuff that sits all day partially wet from constant swimming all summer. Thanks for the tip!

Daisy Rogers
    April 15, 2013 at 6:15 am

Well I wash my towel twice a week and it doesn’t smell. Well my thinking is if you have quality Luxury Towels then there’s no need to have some thing special for it.

Kirstin
      May 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Not everyone can afford “Quality Luxury towels”! A simple towel will suffice for me because it only gets used for 2 mins then tossed in the hamper.

May 2, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Absolutely!! That’s why this vinegar tip is so valuable! Thanks for stopping by!!

Beverly
      October 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I do have good quality towels but in the south the water during the summer carries a lot of mold. That’s why I use the vinegar and baking soda.

meg
      February 11, 2015 at 12:43 pm

we live in a coastal climate, no matter how much money I spend on my towels they’re going to smell like mildew the second someone uses them, it makes no difference how expensive they were, mold can’t read price tags

CRAFTY BY NATURE
        August 28, 2015 at 11:28 am

YOU GO, GIRL! Daisy up there was either just using her condescending comment to sound Nouveau Riche or as an excuse to “plug” a link! But you voiced quite cleverly the very same thought I had reading her post… it matters not if the threads are the finest Egyptian Cotton or the coarsest, institutional grade fiber…. microbial processes are equal opportunity phenomena. In layperson terminology: M*ld Happens!
        Here’s to you for pointing out the inanity of that statement!

Lauren
          April 15, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Ditto!!! My thoughts exactly! 🙂

Greg
      May 26, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Well, I have a couple of those “luxury towels”. They still smell mildewed. So, $$$ is not the answer here. Appreciate your comment though.

How to clean your microwave in under 5 minutes with one secret ingredient!
    June 13, 2013 at 7:01 am

[…] Remember when I used it to clean my towels? […]

Home Coming
    August 19, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Such a great tip! I’d love for you to link up to The DIY’ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-our-country-weekend.html
    Home Coming recently posted…The DIY’ers and our country weekendMy Profile

Floridamom
    January 16, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Can you do this with an HE washer?

January 18, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hi! You should be able to do it with any washer as vinegar should be safe for any washing machine. Check your manual to make sure it doesn’t advise against it. You should be good though!

Melissa
      March 29, 2015 at 10:57 am

Yes you can use it with an HE washer. For the HE washer you use the vinegar in the liquid soap area. If you are going to need to use the baking soda after the first vinegar wash, then you put the baking soda in where powder detergent would go. Hope this helps.

Dani
        May 5, 2015 at 8:02 am

If you have a front load HE washer, I’ve found it better to put the baking soda directly on the towels in the tub, instead of the soap dispenser. The baking soda doesn’t always wash out of the dispenser, at least on my Kenmore Elite.

Nona Brooks
          December 18, 2015 at 5:40 am

Thank you…this was my concern.

Aimee Pister
      January 12, 2016 at 11:17 am

I have an HE washer and do this all the time. In fact, I use vinegar in all my first rinses. I do not use fabric softer with my towels, and never have. Because of our lifestyle, I do wash my towels with detergent and HOT water. Then use the vinegar in the rinse. Clothes go through 2 rinses and the first is vinegar. I put the baking soda in with the towels and clothes. i also use a liquid detergent.

Meredith
    January 20, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Anyone try this trick on stinky gym clothes ? My husbands under armour shirts are terrible !

Stephanie
      April 23, 2014 at 9:14 am

Try using powdered Borax. You’ll find it in the detergent aisle. It’s my go-to for smelly clothes, and it helps whiten without using bleach. Safe product.

Tyeshya Williams
        August 29, 2014 at 11:01 am

I tried borax and it doesn’t work.. Will be trying this method.

Debra Kessner
        January 18, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I tried Borax and it worked for a while, now no longer works. Will be trying the vinegar before scrapping and buying new towels.

Jaime Nelson
      August 21, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I do it with my workout clothes, it works great

Geraldine gill
    January 31, 2014 at 4:03 am

Any idea on how to remove this same smell from my tumble dryer as it has been in storage for over a year .

blakely golden
    March 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I am trying it now because all my dish cloths and towels smell like this and i appreciate this as i could find nothing useful out to help. thanks so much!

Alyse
    March 9, 2014 at 4:19 am

I’ve got some towels that won’t stop smelling mildewy no matter what we try. Definitely giving this a try this weekend! Thanks!
    Alyse recently posted…A First-Timer’s Freezer Meal Experience – Part 1My Profile

Lorna
    March 12, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I put vinegar in the towels every time I wash them. I use cold water and detergent with it and it works just as good.

Tracie
    April 22, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Used cloth diapers for both my daughters (oh those many years ago!) and always rinsed them twice with a cup of vinegar in second rinse. This did double duty, removed the excess soap to keep them soft on baby’s bottom and they always smelled fresh! Use it on my towels still! Gotta love vinegar!

Laundry Cleaning Chemicals by Custom Chemicals International
    April 28, 2014 at 12:26 am

The vinegar looks very effective to clean clothes. Thanks for sharing the instructions for using vinegar.

denise
    May 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm

what if you have hard water and cant use hot water…I have a softener but cant use hot water to wash in…will the vinegar still work and not leave rust stains…hate to ruin my towels or clothes…

Tera
    May 28, 2014 at 7:20 am

Front loaders are notorious for this and typy don’t even have to leave them very long lol. I can wah early am and if they aren’t transferred by afternoon then it already starts by dinner. Vinegar to the rescue lol again! To the dryer girl with the smell, try drying a damp vinegar towel maybe! Double bonus, vinegar softens your clothes and doesn’t lead to fabric softener buildup that affects towel absorbency. Smell goes away!

Tera
    May 28, 2014 at 7:21 am

Love that I’ve just found your site! Will try and visit often. Sorry for typos, dang phones give you a weird comment screen to work with lol!

Caroline Beaudette
    May 28, 2014 at 10:49 am

I was wondering, do you think this trick would work using a large plastic tub and soaking life jackets that have gotten that mildewy smell from storage and usage?

May 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

That’s SUCH a great idea!!! It works well on swimsuits so I imagine it reduces or removes odors from most fabrics. I have had such good luck with it! It wouldn’t hurt to try, that’s for sure!!! Good luck and let us know!!

christa sherman
    June 4, 2014 at 4:53 am

Very interesting! I have horrible issues with my towels no matter if I get them straight out of the washer and into the dryer…it Still happens! I Hate that smell…eeek! Thanks so much for the tip as I will Definitely be trying this.

10 Cleaning Tips + Printables -
    June 16, 2014 at 6:02 am

[…] How to Freshen your Towels […]

Denise
    June 18, 2014 at 12:29 am

Found you through pinterest, love the way you wrote this and like to see I’m not the only one being “productive” New follower here!

Rose
    June 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

When you pour the white vinegar into front loader will it hit the towels and leave like bleach spots?

Shirley
      October 14, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I pour the vinegar into the softener dispenser.
      No problems.

Sara
    June 28, 2014 at 4:54 pm

This popped up on Pinterest right after I left towels in the washer overnight. Perfect solution, thank you!

Gliced
    July 9, 2014 at 1:42 am

If you only Using vinegar how is that cleaning your towels I know is talking the smell but is not washing

July 9, 2014 at 10:02 am

Hi there! You will still want to wash your towels normally but this can be done before or after (preferably after a wash) if the towels smell when removing them from the washer. Thanks!

Mary
    July 11, 2014 at 12:58 am

Great tip! I stopped using fabric softener on my towels a couple of years ago and use vinegar instead. I just pour it into the softener dispenser when I start a load. I also do the same if I have a load of stinky clothes.

Stephanie
    August 7, 2014 at 4:51 am

I’m housesitting for a friend, and the first thing I noticed was a dreadful mildew stink in her front-loading washing machine. I’m an avid white vinegar user, so the first thing I did was run a full load of hot water with some vinegar. This helped somewhat, but the real cause of the stink is the awful black mold that builds up on the rubber gasket at the front of the machine! I ran a vinegar-dampened towel around the inside of that gasket, and was appalled at the black goo that came out. I recommend leaving the washer door open at night to air out the machine, and try to never leave wet laundry sitting there for too long.

The Sisko
      September 9, 2014 at 10:12 am

The front loading HE washers are notorious for this. I think it’s a design flaw. We kept getting a mildew smell from ours and couldn’t figure out the source until my wife pulled back the gasket one day. *GACK* Black mold everywhere.

White vinegar is OK for mildew smell sometimes. However for stubborn cases I use Oxyclean. It works every time.

Vickie Turner
        January 22, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Do you put the Oxyclean directly into the front of the HE washing machine or into the detergent or softener dispenser? I have the black mold problem and the stinky clothes if you don’t take the clothes out right away, and I want to get rid of that smell asap. Thanks!

Elisabeth
      October 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I put baking soda and lemon juice in my washer at least once a month to get rid of the smell and clean my front load washing machine.

Lydia
    September 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I just tried this trick last night and it worked. Didn’t use any detergent, and only used vinegar and water. Does this mean the towels are clean now or do I need to wash them again but this time with detergent?

Shirley
    October 6, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I use vinegar for fabric softener in my front loader……then later I noticed there is no longer any smell in my front loader. The vinegar takes care of it I guess. I have several items that started saying “no fabric softener.” I didn’t want to wash them separately. So I started using vinegar for the softener. It does a good job controlling the static. Occasionally there is an item or 2 that has static….and I just give it a shake and don’t worry about it. Certainly saves me money too.

LC
    October 8, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Bleach Super Dangerous? Cmon…what are we 12 years old? Pour Bleach right into a filled washer w/ water inside and youll be fine.

NANNIE
      October 12, 2014 at 4:46 pm

LC, it’s what you mix with bleach that can result in noxious fumes. Notoriously, bleach and ammonia together do so.

Adam
    October 28, 2014 at 3:01 pm

We hang our towels after every use……and typically get 2 uses out of them, and never had a problem with the mildew smell…..but I’ve always added a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle too……I’m sure that helps keep them good….It’s funny cause when I first met my GF she didn’t want me doing laundry, she’s like ewww vinegar, it’s gonna make me smell……but after the drying cycle, you don’t even SMELL the vinegar………

Lainie
    October 29, 2014 at 11:52 am

I am absolutely going to try this NOW. Where does the vinegar go? In the drum or through the detergent dispenser? I have a front loader.

October 29, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I have a top loading machine but I think either way. Maybe google it! 😉

Shirley
      October 29, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I put about 1/3 cup vinegar in the softener dispenser. Sometimes I pour about 1/3 cup into the detergent dispenser also if I want to boost the power of my laundry soap. Right now I’m using the ‘pods’ that you put in with your clothes. If I had regular laundry soap, I would put the vinegar in the bleach dispenser .

If I’m putting bleach in a load of whites, I only use vinegar as the softener.

I’m glad I have changed to vinegar for softening. It is cheaper and the surprise bonus is that there is NO more smell from my front loader. It works plenty well enough. Sometimes I have 1 or 2 items that I need to shake because of static cling. That doesn’t bother me, though. I do have a synthetic blanket that I will try to remember to use a dryer sheet when I dry it.

16 Must Read Cleaning Tips That Will Make Your Life Easier | eKanpSack
    November 2, 2014 at 11:32 am

[…] source […]

16 Must Read Cleaning Tips That Will Make Your Life Easier | HeySup
    November 3, 2014 at 7:03 pm

[…] source […]

Maria
    November 4, 2014 at 7:45 am

For cleaning towels,hot water is the best option,use hot water that removes all dirtiness on the clothes and its clean properly..
    Maria recently posted…Tips On Cleaning Front Load WasherMy Profile

Barbara
    November 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Love the healthy idea for using vinegar and, if needed, adding baking soda.

Dryer sheets, however, are unhealthy. Perhaps, if not fragranced they are O.K., but I’m not sure. I heard that using tin foil instead of dryer sheets works well. I also heard that vinegar is a natural substitute for dryer sheets.

Have you ever heard this about dryer sheets?

Khulan
    November 12, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Wow!!! It really works! Thanks for saving everything. I still can’t believe it worked lol. Very impressed.

Jessica
    December 5, 2014 at 12:08 am

Can I use apple cider vinegar and get the same effect? If so, should I put more than a cup in the load?

Shirley
      December 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I think apple cider vinegar would work, but plain white vinegar is so much cheaper. I use some ACV for eating/cooking, but buy the white vinegar by the gallons for laundry and cleaning. (2 gallon box at Sam’s Club for about $3.50.)

10 Things You Should Clean - the pink sprinkle
    January 2, 2015 at 7:31 pm

[…] 1.  Clean the washing machine – Run an empty cycle with 1 cup vinegar on hot and follow immediately with another empty cycle on hot with 1/2 cup baking soda.  This trick works with front and top loaders and will remove any gunk and stink that can be associated with washers.  (side note – it also removes that mildewy smell from your towels!  Click here for full instructions.) […]

orfan
    January 20, 2015 at 1:41 am

I’ve been looking for a solution to that musty smell – I will have to try this!

On a potentially unrelated note, does anyone have any advice on getting rid of dog fur in/on towels and clothes? (Laundry advice that is; we’re all over brushes, vaccumes, etc.) I have a front-loader and have tried different settings. Instead of being removed in the wash, my items are covered in felted balls of dog fur. Suggestions?

ALS
      February 8, 2015 at 10:09 am

What works for us is to throw the blankets/clothes that the fur kids lay on into the dryer for a short cycle, and then wash them. The majority of it is collected in the lint screen, and I don’t notice an exorbitant amount of fur on the clothes once they have been laundered.

orfan
        February 11, 2015 at 12:37 am

Thanks! I’ll have to try that tomorrow.

ideascute » Blog Archive » Getting Rid Of Mildew Stink
    February 21, 2015 at 7:08 pm

[…] It’s the worst! It’s even worse when you go over to someone else’s house, and reluctantly dry off with one of their stinky mildew towels. In fact, there is a particular hair salon that I’ve been to that is famous for their mildew towels. I don’t know how this happens unless they’re leaving their towels in the washing machine for days before switching them, but I think they should read this tip! It’s so easy and just requires one ingredient.Get The Instruction Here: Classy Clutter […]

25+ Spring Cleaning Hacks for your Home - Creative Juice
    March 2, 2015 at 1:54 am

[…] 19. Do you have a pile of old towels that have a mildew smell but don’t want to throw them out yet? You can clean them! Learn how to wash those towels and make them smell brand new here. […]

18 Cleaning Tips Every Person Should Know
    March 2, 2015 at 8:06 am

[…] Get rid of mildew stink […]

Morning Show Topics - LIFE 96.5
    March 13, 2015 at 11:09 am

[…] Towels still stinky even after you wash them?  Remedy it this way… […]

How to Remove Wet Towel Smell
    March 26, 2015 at 9:45 pm

[…] …via How to freshen your towels and get rid of that mildew stink – Classy … […]

Leila
    August 4, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Perfect timing! We just ran into this issue and did the first step but haven’t done the baking soda step! So glad I stumbled upon this today!
    Leila recently posted…15 Events Kneaders Bakery Can Cater For YouMy Profile

Anne
    October 7, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Going to try this. Any suggestions on how to clean your washer?. I dont want to buy the expensive products available.

Tasha Wilson
    December 5, 2015 at 1:11 am

Some of my relatives told me that vinegar is not good to use to clean the washing machine. Is it true?

March 23, 2016 at 10:15 am

I have never had a problem using vinegar! It has always helped get the stink out and have never ruined any of my towels!

George Negron
    January 23, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Great post, it is becoming, even more, difficult to wash towels and get the wet smell removed especially for those on the west coast who are facing drought restrictions and for those who live in areas where the water is hard and high in calcium.

Marianne
    April 29, 2016 at 5:22 am

Hi! I live in Toronto and nobody carries distilled white vinegar, is there a difference between distilled white vinegar and pure white vinegar? The only ones they have is pure white vinegar and pickling white vinegar which one is better for cleaning and washing? Thank you