This post is sponsored by Behr Paint Company. As always, all opinions are my own.
We have waited months to be able to paint the exterior of our home. We have partnered with Behr Paint and we are so excited to show you the process. We have an HOA in our neighborhood so the planning stage took a while. We had to “pitch” our ideas to the HOA to get approved before we could move forward with the paint project.
Thankfully, the bones of the house were exactly what we wanted. I fell in love with the symmetry, texture of the brick and overall shape of the house. One thing I didn’t love was the size and color of the red bricks that are more like commercial block.
We partnered with Behr for the Red, White and Behr Sweepstakes and we knew it was the perfect time to update the curb appeal of our new home and take it one step closer to being our dream home.
First things first, we removed the awnings and gave the house a good power washing. I’ll share a full tutorial for painting the exterior brick but today I’m going to show you some easy projects you can do to update your curb appeal for summer in just one weekend!
How to paint shutters
- Clean shutters thoroughly. We used our power washer to remove all the dirt and build up.
- Using a 2″ brush, begin painting the slats at the top and work your way down.
- Paint the outer edges using light strokes and allow to dry.
- Repeat steps to apply a second coat for full coverage, if necessary.
We used BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA® Exterior Satin Enamel in the color Carbon N520-7 for the shutters,
How to paint a door
We’ve shared a tutorial on how to paint a door in the past, but I’ll recap these steps.
- Clean your door so it’s clear of any dust, dirt or debris of any kind. If you need to, lightly sand any rough or worn areas. Wipe down with an all-purpose cleaner and allow to dry.
- Use painter’s tape to mask any areas that you don’t want painted.
- Start painting your door by painting the details first with a quality brush.
- Paint the rest of the door. We used both a paintbrush and a roller and did 2-3 coats of paint (especially with a color like red!). Allow each coat to dry completely before doing the next coat. The brush gave a bit better coverage but the roller helped provide a really smooth looking and helped to minimize brush strokes.
For the front door, we used BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA Exterior Satin Enamel in the color Red My Mind MQ1-10
I can’t wait to share the full home reveal and tutorial with you!
Red, White and Behr Sweepstakes
Head over to the Red, White & Behr Sweepstakes landing page to choose the exterior project that you want to tackle to be entered for a chance to win a $1,000 The Home Depot® gift card. (The sweepstakes is open to U.S. residents 18+.)