Hello there! It’s Adell, from Baked in Arizona. I am excited to share this fresh Orange Poppy Seed Salad with you today.
As much as I love baking, I love fresh, healthy food too. I guess I just feel like it balances out all the sweets I love to make 🙂 Cause if you have a salad for lunch, you can totally make cookies for an afternoon snack right?!
My grandpa has an orange orchard in his backyard and he is always bringing us bags of his citrus. He recently gave us a bag of oranges and I had just enough left to whip up this salad! I love the punch of citrus flavor in the dressing.
You could add some grilled chicken to make it a more filling dinner. We had this for dinner and I added homemade croutons. I just love a good salad! I hope you enjoy it too!
Orange Poppy Seed Salad
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- orange, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans
- 1-2 avocados, peeled & diced
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup salad oil (olive, canola etc.)
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- FOR THE DRESSING: add all ingredients except the poppy seeds and sugar to a blender or food processor. Blend till smooth. Add the sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time until it tastes right to you. (I used 2 tablespoons) Stir in the poppy seeds. Chill the dressing in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- FOR THE SALAD: Roast the pecans (Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes, turning once halfway through)
- Wash the lettuce. Chop into bite sized pieces. Peel and slice the onion. Peel and cut up the orange.
- Peel and cut up avocado.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add toppings and finish with desired amount of dressing.
- NOTES: dressing will keep in fridge for one week.