Keeping fruit fresh can be quite the challenge! Normally, after grocery shopping, most of our fruit goes straight in the fridge and a lot of times, it goes bad before we get to it. We LOVE strawberries at our house and we still seem to get yucky ones a day or two after we buy them which is so frustrating! today I’m going to show you my easy tip on how to keep strawberries fresh.
Well, since I’ve discovered this amazing secret, now I can keep our strawberries and other berries fresh for up to two weeks!! It’s amaaaazing!
How to keep strawberries fresh
- First, place berries into a large bowl. I use a large mixing bowl.
- Fill bowl with cool tap water, just enough to cover all of the berries.
- Next, add 1-2 cups of distilled white vinegar to the water and berries.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes in vinegar/water mixture.
- Pour berries and vinegar/water mixture into a colander. You do not need to rinse them, just drain the water.
- Place berries on dry paper towels on the counter or table. Be sure they are NOT touching one another.
- Let berries air dry COMPLETELY. I usually let them sit out for an hour or so.
- Once they are totally dry, place them in a clean bowl in the fridge! You can even cut them up if you’d like.
TIP for quick snacks:
We like to cut them up and remove any soft spots so we have a cool, healthy, delicious snack ready to go at any time.
I know someone will ask because I was really curious, you will NOT be able to taste any sort of vinegar-y taste after doing this method. Your berries will last several days longer than just sticking them in the fridge when you buy them. We have seen them last 1-2 weeks using this method but we normally eat them up so fast when they’re clean and cut up in our refrigerator!
Strawberries are such a delicious, healthy snack (especially for kids!) in the Spring and Summer! My kids love a handful of them after playing outside.
Do you have any tips on how to keep strawberries fresh? This method works on most berries and fruit. I’d love to hear it!
If you like strawberries, be sure to check out:
Join the CC squad!
Subscribe to our email list for FREEBIES including this *FREE* Home Sweet Home Printable!