Wooweee! Can you say sparkly?! We recently did a crazy ONE DAY makeover on our Craft Studio in Savannah’s house (for the time being) and we have got some crazy awesome tutorials for you guys then we’ll show you the full reveal! It’s just so “us” I can’t even stand it. First up, this DIY Sequins Wall Art sign! With over 2000 sequins that we pinned on by hand, this baby is a showstopper! It is a little time consuming (maybe 3-4 hours) but SO worth it and surprisingly easy!
Materials: (*affiliate links)
- R-tech Foam Insulating Sheathing (say what?) It’s basically rigid insulation from The Home Depot. Check it out here. It was $12 for a 4×8 sheet.
- Gold Spray Paint* (Wouldn’t be a Classy Clutter project without it!)
- Approximately 1200(ish) (40mm) Gold Sequins. We got ours from Hobby Lobby (here). Each pack had about 50 sequins and we had 20-something packs. It was super hard to keep an accurate count but you need 50-60 per square foot, depending on how close together you place them.
- Sequins Pins (1250 or so) We got these from Hobby Lobby (here) too.
- Serrated knife and/or box knife
- Letters for whatever word you choose for the center. We picked INPSIRE because that is our number one goal with Classy Clutter… to inspire someone, somewhere. It seemed fitting for our office space.
- 3M Mounting tape – available here.*
First, cut your foam sheathing to size. Measured our desk and opted to make it a tad smaller so it would sit centered over the desk. Then we cut out the rectangle on the inside to fit the INSPIRE letters. The size for the cut out will depend on your word choice.
Next, spray paint your board and letters using RustOleum gold metallic spray paint (our fave!) Allow to dry. Sorry we didn’t get pics of cutting and spray painting. We did this project in the middle of the night.
Next, lay your sequins out to figure out spacing. You can do it in a grid-like pattern or place them offset (like we did). Once it’s all said and done, it all kind of looks the same because the sequins pick up so much light you can’t really tell.
Use the pins and pin the sequins to the foam board. This is the part where you grab a helper and crank up Taylor Swift and get busy. It is pretty time consuming but it goes by fast since it’s so easy and monotonous.
When you’re done, use a level (or your phone with the level app) to mark where it should go with a pencil. Then, use 3M extreme mounting tape (the heavy duty kind!) and hang it on the wall. Once the sequins frame part is in place, hang the letters. Start with the center letter and work out so the whole word stays center. We used black vinyl to cover edges of the foam but you could even use duct tape or leave it alone. Then, tada!!! You’re done!
This would be SO cool in a girl’s room, bathroom, dressing room, for parties etc! We love it in our office and can’t wait to show you the rest of the studio space!
If you like a bold feature wall, check out these awesome walls that are all renter friendly! High fives!