I am huge fan of Rice Krispie treats! They’re super easy to make and taste delicious! My kiddos and I wanted to try a twist on the traditional Rice Krispie Treats and make them green and use Lucky Charms Marshmallows for St. Patrick’s Day! I also like to add vanilla extract to mine to enhance the flavor a bit. I have seen cute versions of this treat with using Lucky Charms cereal but I love the texture and taste of traditional Rice Krispie Treats so we just added the Lucky Charm’s marshmallows separately at the end.
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 4 cups of soft marshmallows
- 5 cups of Rice Krispie cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- green food coloring (optional)
- approximately 3/4 cup of Lucky Charm’s marshmallows - My kids and I picked them out of the Lucky Charms cereal box and set them in a bowl until we were ready to use them. Heaven help the person who pours themselves a bowl of Lucky Charms sans marshmallows! (hehehe! I’ll blame it on the leprechaun!)
Melt butter over low heat until completely melted. Gradually add marshmallows and stir often to avoid burning them. When marshmallow/butter mixture is completely melted, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and your green food coloring and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in your Rice Krispie cereal. Once mixture is mostly combined, stir in the Lucky Charm’s marshmallows. My kids and I picked them out of the Lucky Charms. If possible, store in an air tight container and they will stay softer longer! A ziplock bag works great!
I think little Tanner man loved them the most, runny nose and all.
Don’t forget to check out this cute little St. Patrick’s Day gift and printable too!
Have a great day!