How to organize your bathroom in 3 easy steps

Let’s talk about bathrooms people. Weird topic, sure. Necessary? Totally. Here’s the deal. We have ONE bathroom. One. If you’ve been around for a while, you know I have four kids (all boys!) and one darling hubby. Well mathematicians, that is 6 of us. 6 humans, one bathroom. Not cool. So far it’s been fine because two of the littles aren’t potty trained yet but they still have to bathe, brush teeth, comb hair etc. It makes for a crowded room in the mornings. We’ve been in this house for 4 years and I have FINALLY come up with an organization method that seems to be working for everyone. Halle-friggin-lujah! I did this about a month and a half ago but wanted to wait until I was sure this system was working before sharing it. NEVER has my bathroom stayed this clean and organized for so long. I’d say it’s working. Here are my 3 steps to getting it organized and keeping it that way.

Bathroom Makeover 1 - Classy Clutter

You can see that we have one tiny vanity cabinet and then have two narrow and tall cabinets where we keep the majority of our things.

Bathroom 4

Bathroom 3

How to organize your bathroom

Here’s how I do it.

The top shelves hold extra TP and towels. Then I sort everything that needs to be within arms reach.

1. Group like items. I took eeeeverything out of the cabinets and made a big huge mess in the bathroom but it has to get worse before it gets better… and it will get better. If there is something you haven’t used in 3+ months, toss or donate it. I got rid of a laundry basket full of stuff we never use, put it in the basement and have yet to go down there to get anything. I obviously don’t need those things.

Sort Like Items

2. Sort into appropriate sized containers. Now that you know what you have and what you use, it’s time to put them away. I did a lot of container switching until I found what fit best for each group of items. I bought almost all of my organizing bins at Target, mostly in the dollar spot. The dollar store is great place for plastic bins and containers since you mostly just need small-ish ones. Jars work well too! You can see that I used them for our cotton products (Q-tips, cotton rounds and cotton balls) I love having them so accessible.

Hair Products in basket

Cotton products

3. Label everything.

Epson Label Maker

Meet my best friend. My Epson label maker. You can purchase one here.* (affiliate link) It is crazy easy to use. I used gold on clear label tape (available here*) and its pretty much my favorite thing ever.

Bathroom Shelf

I keep my lipsticks, lip glosses and chapsticks in the vintage bowl, flossers in a mini mason jar and all of the other containers were found at Target dollar spot for $1-3 each!

Hair tools and makeup

The acrylic tray holds my daily makeup (I keep makeup brushes in a jar in my vanity medicine cabinet) and “Hair Tools” like curling iron, flat iron and brushes in this bin.

Organized Bins

These bins are from Target as well. One holds nail products, feminine products, hair accessories and one has extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, etc. We have a lot of extra dental care products since my husband is in dental school! (4 weeks left!!!)

Next up, booooring…. The vanity cabinet holds the less than desirable things a bathroom needs but I like to keep these products readily available in the bathroom so there’s no excuse not to keep things wiped down and clean. We keep bathroom cleaner with bleach, glass cleaner, paper towels, toilet brush, rubber gloves and extra lightbulbs for the vanity in here. Oh, usually the bathroom scale is slid in there too. If you have little ones in the house, make sure there’s a childproof lock on cleaning supplies if they’re kept down low, like ours. I also always make sure the bottles are twisted to “off” so kiddos can’t accidentally spray anything.

Cleaning Supplies in the bathroom

and THAT is how I manage. Not the prettiest but it works!

Also, did you hear? This teeny bathroom was featured in Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen + Bath Makeovers magazine! You can snag a copy at Barnes and Noble! It was our first real magazine features so we are so excited! Yahoo!!!

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 6.44.55 PM

Mallory Bombshell Sig.png

How to organize your bathroom in 3 easy steps

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

maria felicia magno
    March 23, 2015 at 1:50 pm

thanks for sharing…this is a great idea
    maria felicia magno recently posted…OUTFIT: SHIRT DRESS/ CHEMISIER IN SETA STAMPATA ED ACCESSORI GIALLI!!My Profile

Rosaine Calmeyer
    March 23, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Hi from Durban, SA

I love your bathroom makeover; you deserved to get it recognised.

Regards
    Ros

Havok
    March 24, 2015 at 11:40 am

I wish I had a giant cabinet like that! The best bathrooms have some form of closet in them, I swear! I’m in desperate need of redoing my storage-less bathroom, though, and am thinking that redoing our plastic shelving will be in order…too much stuff, not enough room!
    Havok recently posted…What’s in YOUR bag?My Profile

9 Cheap and Easy Ways to Add Spring Style to Your Living Space | NorthEast Calling
    April 2, 2015 at 3:09 pm

[…] Image: Pinterest via Classy Clutter […]

April 2, 2015 at 4:11 pm

[…] Image: Pinterest via Classy Clutter […]

Guy Gardener
    July 7, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Interesting you put toilet paper on the top shelf. I usually put it way lower, for when my kids need toilet paper, they can get it themselves. I don’t want to have to walk in there and get it for them.

July 12, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Hi Guy! Unfortunately, this isn’t an option in our home. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old that will unravel all the paper if it’s on their level. Looks like I’m reaching up high to refill it for a few years. Thanks!

eunicedlawson
    September 23, 2015 at 4:09 am

Thank you so much for this beautiful blog. The step by step organising method is really useful. Also the mirror looks great. My bathroom’s vanity mirror ( http://www.dispenser.com/vanity-mirrors/ ) is the most attractive thing in there. The images you have attached are really beautiful and motivates us to do the perfect organisation.

Bettijo Hirschi
    November 13, 2015 at 5:49 am

I had no idea that label writer could do GOLD! How cool is that?!!
    Bettijo Hirschi recently posted…3 Colorful Thanksgiving IdeasMy Profile

Phillius Thomas
    November 18, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I love the idea of putting all the bathroom supplies in their own glass jars. That makes it easier to see what is inside them without having to open a box, plus a glass jar looks so much better too. Next time I go to the store I am going to need to buy a bunch of jars.

Leticia Wright
    November 27, 2015 at 7:23 am

These are all great storage ideas. I need to rearrange the bathroom and think of way to add some more storage places because our bathroom definitely doesn’t have enough storage place. Thanks for the post! I think that I actually will use the basket idea! The jars are also really cool! Thanks for sharing!

March 4, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Sometimes bathroom storage is hard! I love the baskets and the jars it helps keep my bathroom super organized and cute at the same time!! Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by!

Barbara. W
    December 19, 2015 at 9:20 am

Thank for your great sharing. That would be great if I have this in my bathroom. Is is expensive?
    Barbara. W recently posted…6 ways to prevent hair loss in FallMy Profile

Online Plumbing Supplies
    January 15, 2016 at 8:25 am

Thank you for the great sharing! I recommend this blog for giving such a great idea to the readers on how to manage the bathroom specially on arrangement. Kudos to the author…Have a nice day ahead

You Plumbing
    January 19, 2016 at 1:16 am

Wow, great ideas! Your blog is beautiful and so the contents. Lovely bathroom. Very neat and organized. Thanks for the tips!