The BEST Painting Tips and Tricks

10 seriously awesome Painting Tips & Tricks that are borderline genius! | www.classyclutter.net

As you probably already know, we are paint obsessed. I mean, we paint a LOT of stuff. Nothing is safe from being painted in my home. Whether it’s spray paint, latex, acrylic, chalk, etc. I will probably paint it if it lives in my home for any length of time. It’s by far the easiest way to make big changes in the home. I’ve gathered some tips that I’ve used for a long long time that are tried and true and make painting anything a heck of a lot easier. You will thank me later. 😉

Use aluminum foil to line paint trays for easy clean upCut up an old tshirt to wax furniture

Cut up an old t-shirt to wax furniture projects

Write paint colors on the back of light switch plates

Homemade Chalk Paint Recipe

Make your own chalk paint out of unsanded grout, water and flat paint

Drop Cloth Tip

Use a dollar store shower curtain liner as a painter’s drop cloth!

Puncture the paint can rim to keep a clean seal

How to clean your paintbrushes

Use tape on the insides of drawers when painting furniture (image source unknown)

Use Floetrol to eliminate brush marks

How to remove paint from hardware

Use a magnet to hold your paint brush (source unknown)

Love to spray paint? We do! Check out our spray painting FAQs and tips!

Be sure to check out our “Painting” Pinterest Board for even more tips, tricks and all things paint related!

Mallory Bombshell Sig.png

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    June 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Ladies, your timing could not be more perfect! We are getting ready to paint the main living area of our home, and these tips are so helpful! Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom! Have a wonderful weekend!

~Abby =)
    Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog recently posted…10 Organizational Printables for SummerMy Profile

Patricia Krank
    June 9, 2014 at 2:12 am

Thanks for the great tips ladies! I’ve pinned to use for future reference.
    Blessings,
    Patti
    Patricia Krank recently posted…A Budget Kitchen Makeover With Sparkle!My Profile

Teresa B
    November 14, 2014 at 10:33 pm

What is the best way to get layers of paint off of plastic l8ght switches and plates?

Thank you.

Brenda Barnes
      December 28, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I remove paint from light/receptacle covers by putting them in a zip-lock back of warm soapy water and vinegar. Let them soak for several hours and the paint with rub off.

gillian
    December 30, 2014 at 8:10 am

Painting tips are great but when comes to prep I have a time saving tip, if filling with wood filler or caulk have a damp ild sponge handy to wipe filled area as you go saved ne a lot of sanding and mess

Sylvia Norwood
    February 9, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I have an old oak bedroom suit and I want a new look.Thinking staining it with a walnut or mahogany.Maybe painting it white with gold hardware.What do you think?

Chris Mclemore
    February 10, 2015 at 12:35 am

When not painting put rollers and brushes in zip lock bang set in refrigerator.

Painting Tips | Creative Home Ideas
    February 12, 2015 at 7:31 am

[…] interested when a home has fresh coats of paint. Since I was doing this massive project on my own, I needed some tips and tricks to help get me through it. Online I found a site that had some great painting tips and tricks that […]

Phillius Thomas
    March 9, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Putting the exact color information of the room on the back of a light switch is a genius idea! I would love to have done this so whenever a hole goes in the wall, I don’t have to repaint the entire room when I fix the hole! That is, unless I get lucky and choose a good enough to blend color.

PAINT LIKE A PRO! - Creative Home Ideas
    April 6, 2015 at 2:45 am

[…] us can do a job that doesn’t look like a toddler did it (or maybe that’s just me?), and all of that retrying and repainting, not to mention the clean-up at the end, can really take the fun…. Luckily, help is at hand and a few simple tricks can really make a difference. Nowadays, whenever […]

10 Awesome Painting Tips and Tricks - DIY All in One
    May 4, 2015 at 10:48 am

[…] The BEST Painting Tips and Tricks […]

margaret carter brown
    May 29, 2015 at 12:41 pm

i have copd and can’t be around paint flumes. are there any ways to get around this?

Jenn
    July 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Great tips.. one thing I found instead of shower liners for drop cloth, I got some cheap floor runners, they stick to the carpet and stay down flat without having to tape, you can push them under the trim to get everything protected, when done, just roll up and store for next time. To me it was so much better than a drop cloth that keeps moving, bunching up etc.

Mark Sharpe
    August 10, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Thanks for the tips! It is amazing how ideas as little as these can make your life so much easier while you paint. Putting the tape on the inside of drawers is a great idea and can be very helpful!
    Mark Sharpe recently posted…Time to Repaint Your Home? We Can HelpMy Profile

Michelle W
    September 19, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Thank you for sharing these tips! We’re sitting here about to paint and decided to run out and get the dollar store curtain liners 🙂

Mary Tidswell
    May 11, 2016 at 5:37 pm

The $Store in my area sells a product called “Awesome” and it is awesome. If you pour some in a pail and lay your old hardware in there, within a few hours the paint will fall right off.

Sylvieann
    June 4, 2016 at 12:14 am

Thanks for sharing your painting information. I’m just starting to paint a bathroom. Good timing. 🙂