DIY Wood Scalloped Wall Tutorial

Master Bedroom 8

DIY Wood Scalloped Wall Tutorial - classyclutter.net Today’s the day! I have had floods of comments and emails asking for this DIY Wood Scalloped Wall Tutorial and as promised, here it is!!! This wall treatment is honestly not that hard or terribly time consuming. Not to mention, it’s damage free to the wall! Hello, awesome! Savannah and I created this (and the entire bedroom makeover!) over a space of 4 days and the wall treatment was one of the lesser time consuming parts of the makeover. Honestly, this is one of my favorite projects, probably ever! Heck, I’ll say it… it’s my favorite project EVER! I mean, it’s pretty awesome, right? Materials

First, follow Savannah’s tutorial for the Gold Sharpie Scalloped Wall. I flipped my scallops the other direction then, I added one more row of scalloping within each scallop. OilMarkerExtraFine_MetallicGold Gold Sharpie Wall Scallops Yep, I cheated and didn’t do behind the headboard because let’s get real, ain’t nobody got time for that. No one is gonna see it so don’t waste your time! 😉 Trace scallop using stencil Next, using your smaller scalloped stencil, trace your shape onto the plywood sheets with a pencil. TIP: We used a clamp and did 4 sheets of plywood at once. That way we only had to trace the shapes on the top sheet of plywood and cut four out at once. Wood Scallops Cut out Once you have all your pieces cut, it’s time to hang them up! Use mounting tape to hang scallops Use your mounting tape and stick a 1-2″ piece on the back and hang them up. Apply scallops to the wall Here’s a shot of the process as we worked. Once you get all of your pieces cut out, it goes super fast! No nail holes to fill and no damage to your wall but you have an awesome wood wall treatment! DIY WOOD SCALLOPED WALL This awesome wall earned us 2nd place out of 299 projects in Creating with the Stars and I’m super excited to be the lucky one that got an awesome room makeover with the help of my bestie, Savannah and our sweet friend Mandi from Vintage Revivals. I mean, how many people get to say Mandi helped decorate their room? Booyah! Thanks to both of you girlies for helping me create my dream room! Love you both to pieces! If you love the scalloped look but don’t want to mess with the wood, Savannah’s Gold Sharpie Scalloped Wall is amazing! Scalloped Wall 1 You can find the DIY Modern Tufted Headboard tutorial here. DIY Modern Tufted Headboard Also, don’t forget to check out my amazing Pixelated Wood Wall Treatment that got 1st place in the Paint Round of Creating with the Stars! Floral Pixelated Wall 2 Mallory Bombshell Sig

Mariella
    May 20, 2014 at 9:26 am

This is beautiful! I also can’t wait for the tutorial on the macrame chair. Your accent walls in general are the best ever.

Thanks for sharing!
    Mariella
    Mariella recently posted…Homemade PestoMy Profile

Amy W
    May 20, 2014 at 10:58 am

Along with the millions, this wall treatment blew my mind! Love how simple it looks (other than cutting all the shapes). Stunning!
    Amy W recently posted…Pom Pom Throw BlanketMy Profile

Liz Fourez
    May 20, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Totally want to do this in my office!! Awesome job!
    Liz Fourez recently posted…DIY Anniversary SignMy Profile

Debora
    May 20, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Consider using wood veneer which can either be special ordered or is available at some lumber shops instead of plywood. The veneers are available in a wide range of woods including several beautiful and exotic, and because they are so thin can be cut with scissors!

May 20, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Great suggestion! We thought about that as well but really wanted it to be a bit thicker to give the wall a little texture but it’s an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing!!!

Kristina
    May 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm

This turned out so cute!! I love that you added the wood.
    Kristina recently posted…Cream & LavenderMy Profile

capturing joy with kristen duke
    May 20, 2014 at 10:52 pm

so fabulous, girls! I need to try my hand at the sharpie wall!
    capturing joy with kristen duke recently posted…On my scattered mindMy Profile

Shelly
    May 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Love this!!! What a great feature wall!
    Shelly recently posted…Hit Me With Your Best Shot #19My Profile

Hillary Walter
    May 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Love your room! Is the light something that Mandi from VR created? I love it and was hoping for a tutorial. Love your style!

May 21, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Hi Hillary!

Thanks so much! No, actually I made it. I will be doing a tutorial pretty soon! Thanks for stopping by!

xoxo – Mallory

Katie @ Upcycled Treasures
    May 22, 2014 at 10:46 am

Wow, this is beautiful and I LOVE how you used the gold sharpie! I hope you will stop by and share this at The Makers link party going on at my blog right now, UpcycledTreasures.com 🙂 Pinned!
    ~Katie
    Katie @ Upcycled Treasures recently posted…The Makers Link Party #18My Profile

Krista
    May 24, 2014 at 1:44 am

I just love this – it’s so crazy creative and unique!
    Krista recently posted…My Favourite Room over at Savvy Southern Style {and Friday’s Fab Five}My Profile

Amy Roberts
    May 28, 2014 at 2:26 pm

*mind blow* this is so good. Really unique take on the art-deco look. so much love.

happy friday: links of the week | lovelucygirl
    May 30, 2014 at 9:30 am

[…] just stumbled upon this amazing blog, Classy Clutter, yesterday and fell in LOVE with this DIY wood scalloped wall.. seriously amazing. Not sure I could do this myself (I get frustrated easily.. the perfectionist […]

Robin
    May 30, 2014 at 10:40 am

Amazing! I’m not generally a huge fan of accent walls, but I’m seriously considering doing this one in my bedroom.
    Robin recently posted…THE PAINT CHIP BEASTMy Profile

Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-stairs
    June 1, 2014 at 12:15 am

Your accent walls are beautiful. I love the idea of using mounting tape to temporarily adhere wood cut outs to give the wall texture and warmth. 🙂 I might use some of your great ideas on a smaller scale, just for fun. Thank you for sharing your creativity.
    Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-stairs recently posted…Mini Mudroom RevealMy Profile

Elizabeth
    June 18, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hi! I love this wall and the headboard. I was wondering where the pillows and bedding are from.

June 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hi Elizabeth!

The quilt is from Target and I made the pillows. The front turquoise ikat pillow is from Marshalls. Thanks!!

Deborah
    July 6, 2014 at 11:17 am

That is just stunning! GREAT JOB!!!
    Deborah recently posted…Hallway – Part ThreeMy Profile

Megan
    July 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

How did you keep the cutouts level? I am working on this in my room right now and realized my ceiling is not entirely level, it slopes about two inches from left to right. Did you come across this problem?

July 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Hi Megan, You will definitely want to measure to make sure you are doing each row of scallops level. I drew the gold scallop design first and that is when I did all my measuring to make sure everything was level. I’d recommend a laser level so you don’t have to make any marks on the wall.

Hope that helps!!!

Betsy
    July 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    But that headboard is beautiful
    Where did you find it!:)

Ginnie
    July 30, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Wow! This is stunning! I need to find an empty wall to try this:)
    Ginnie recently posted…One Dress: Wear Now or Wear LaterMy Profile

Ophelia
    August 19, 2014 at 1:10 am

Great Job! I’m not a very handy person so is there another way to cut out the wooden shapes? Or is it easier to just try and use the jigsaw? Thank you!

Cheri
    September 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I am loving the idea! I am thinking of doing a headboard like this and using cork instead of wood. No jigsaw needed:)

How To Make a Custom Scallop Rug - Ciburbanity
    September 25, 2014 at 6:55 am

[…] months ago my heart raced and my eyes went all googly at the site of this wood scalloped wall… incidentally, I also counted that as my workout for the day because I considered my heart […]

Jodi O
    September 25, 2014 at 9:53 am

Very Cool! So many possibilities to expand on this great tutorial. Thanks Ladies!

100 Cheap DIY Upgrades for Under $100 Each
    October 1, 2014 at 1:08 am

[…] 45.Scalloped wood wall: Add an extra dimension of style to your wall will scalloped wood. Cost: Approximately $30 for plywood, paint pen, and mounting tape. […]

Brittany
    October 17, 2014 at 12:21 am

Do you have a stencil for this?

5 Favorites: Home DIY Projects
    November 7, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] Wood Scalloped Wall by Classy […]

5 Favorites: Home DIY Projects - MujerTrend
    November 7, 2014 at 6:46 am

[…] Wood Scalloped Wall by Classy […]

Joli
    December 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

im in love with this diy! but those teal night tables are just AMAZING! please tell me where they are from?

My New Years Resolutions + Food & DIY Links I Want to Try In 2015 - Girl Nesting
    December 31, 2014 at 6:14 pm

[…]  DIY WOOD SCALLOPED WALL by Classy Clutter […]

Temporary DIY Wall Treatment Ideas For Renters
    February 6, 2015 at 11:43 am

[…] You can find the TUTORIAL HERE […]

DIY Sequins Wall Art
    March 5, 2015 at 12:22 pm

[…] DIY Wood Scalloped Wall […]

Cómo remodelar nuestra casa con poco presupuesto - An Inspiring Mompreneur
    March 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm

[…] pared Floral /8. Bird Wall Art/9. Rustic DIY Bathroom Shelving /10. Gold Leaf Jewelry Tray/11. Scalloped Wall Tutorial/12. Painted Tin Can […]

19 Links I'm Lovin'♥ {series} • The Sunny Shadow
    March 22, 2015 at 11:52 pm

[…] • DIY Wood Scalloped Wall Tutorial […]

DIY To Try
    May 1, 2015 at 8:42 am

One of the best project when it comes to decorating the walls I’ve ever seen !!
    DIY To Try recently posted…10 DIY Wall Decoration Ideas For Your Boring And Blank WallsMy Profile

Wendy
      May 30, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I could only find one template to down load at good housekeeping.com/scallopstencil. Would u post a stencil link with both scallop templates. All of my small scallops are cut and ready to go. I just need the larger scallop template. Looking forward to the finished product.

June 1, 2015 at 3:16 am

Hi Wendy!

We only used one template. The larger one is just about 2 inches larger across the top but the same shape, you could cut another template if you don’t want to “eyeball” it. 🙂

Devin
    June 15, 2015 at 12:24 am

how is the sharpie paint pen not damaging the wall? is the only way to get rid of it to paint over it? (I’m renting and can’t paint my bedroom wall)

June 15, 2015 at 12:46 am

Hi Devin! The sharpie would definitely need to be painted over. The sharpie is optional. If you aren’t allowed to paint, I’d suggest using a pencil and lightly marking your scallops or you can omit this step entirely and just put the wood scallops up. You do not need the Sharpie markings for the overall effect. 🙂

Devin
        June 15, 2015 at 12:54 am

wow thank you for your quick response! I just discovered your blog and am in love! I already have two other projects that I will be doing soon!

Anna
    July 12, 2015 at 5:50 pm

What are the dimensions of the stencil you used?

Jason G. Carter
    December 24, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Looks great. I like this wooden DIY project very much. Your bedroom look so cute. It is really great idea to make our home furnished with woods. I’m doing some research on DIY projects. I want to do something like that for my family. But I have no idea now. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Tracy W. Versace
    April 17, 2016 at 1:31 am

This tutorial is exactly what I am looking for a long time. Look great! I love that you added the wood, too.

John Hager
    June 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm

This is a a great tutorial !
    How long does it take to finish it ?

Kristine A
    July 2, 2016 at 12:42 am

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing a very detailed tutorial how we can do it ourselves! I hope to do the same with our bedroom as similar looking design, too.

Kathy J. Smith
    August 7, 2016 at 6:06 pm

This is a great idea for bedroom. I like DIY wood projects like this. Thank for share !