Today kicks off a series of cleaning and organizing projects for you! We will be sharing some awesome cleaning and organizing tips to help you jump start your Spring Cleaning if you haven’t already started.
Every year around this time, I get the bug to declutter, clean and organize pretty much everything. The fridge was in desperate need of a good cleaning and decluttering. I like to do this before I go grocery shopping so I know exactly what we have and when I come home from the store, I have a clean, tidy space to put the food.
Here are my 10 steps to a clean and organized fridge:
1. Remove everything from the fridge
2. Use 1 part vinegar, 2 parts warm water and wipe down everything with a rag. Dry thoroughly. If possible, put whatever drawers, shelves or accessories that will fit, in the dishwasher and clean in there. The dishwasher is a great way to sanitize them.
3. Throw out expired food. Check expiration dates and toss the bad! This also helps you keep track of what your family doesn’t eat. If you have a giant container of expired sour cream, maybe next time you shop, you can buy a small container so that it gets used before it goes bad.
4. Consolidate jars and food containers. I mean, who needs 3 different BBQ sauce containers in the door of the fridge. Combine those babies so they’re not taking up so much space and you know exactly how much you have.
5. Group like items together. It’s so much easier to pick out a salad dressing when you can see clearly which ones you have because they’re lined up neatly.
6. Line your shelves. They are so much easier to clean than taking out the whole shelf if a spill happens. Which it will in our house! You can use wax paper or purchase fancy ones!
7. Use plastic containers to group small items. I use an old fridge drawer from our old broken fridge and it stores our deli meats and cheese. I also use a few little baskets for things like gogurts and kids snacks.
8. Store leftovers. I like to store my leftovers in these stackable bowls so they stay fresh. I also store fresh fruit in these type of bowls so my kids have a fresh, healthy snack ready to go.
9. Add labels – I added vinyl decals to the fridge door and drawers so everyone knows where everything goes. I cut them on my Silhouette with grey vinyl and stuck them on.
10. Keep it organized! I try to go through these steps before I go grocery shopping and I make a list of what we need while I’m working. This also helps when meal planning because you know what you have thanks to your newly clean, sparkling fridge!
Enjoy your clean, organized fridge! Can’t wait to share more ideas with you!
Let's be besties!
Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!
xo, Mallory & Savannah