Sonic Cherry Limeade Copycat Recipe

New York is cool. I mean, NYC is really cool (obviously!) but NY in general is cool. I live in Western NY and we love it here. It’s temporary until my husband finishes dental school but for now, we love it. One thing Western NY is seriously lacking is some decent fast food. I mean there is Burger King, Wendys, McDonalds, what have you; but I miss Arizona’s fast food options terribly. That sounds bad, but I do. πŸ˜‰

SONIC Cherry Limeade

Sonic is one of my favorites. Their food is okay but their drinks and treats are bomb. Nothing like an ice cold, happy hour, half priced Sonic beverage. This is kind of ridiculous how seriously bad I miss Sonic drinks (especially in the summer!), but it’s true. What’s a girl to do?

Well, I’m a DIY girl and I decided to take matters into my own hands. Instead of driving 2-3 hours to the nearest Sonic, I scoured the internet for a copycat and tweaked it until it was perfect. Β In my most humble opinion, I nailed it.

The Sonic Cherry Limeade copycat recipe is born.Β Oh, it’s the easiest thing ever. You’re welcome.

Cherry Limeade 3

Recipe

• 1 2 liter of Sprite (or Diet Sprite if you want!)
  • 1 12 oz frozen limeade from concentrate – I used Minute Maid. Not sure if the brand choice would change the taste but Minute Maid was perfect.
  • 1 small jar of maraschino cherries

Instructions

• In a large pitcher, combine Sprite, frozen limeade and the entire jar of maraschino cherries (including the syrup).
  • Mix slowly so your Sprite doesn’t go flat.
  • Pour over ice and add a wedge of lime (optional but awesome)
  • Enjoy!

Cherry Limeade 2

This drink is perfection. Β You will love it.

Looking for more Sonic Copycat Recipes? Try this amazing Sonic Ocean Water Copycat Recipe!

Mallory Bombshell Sig.png

Shop this recipe with text

Before you go...

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Liz
    January 1, 2014 at 9:41 am

This made my day! I LOVE Sonic Cherry Limeades, but have not had one since I lived in TX. Been in NY for 3 years now and I CRAVE these so often! Going to get supplies today. πŸ™‚ Cheers!

nicole
      July 8, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I use to work at Sonic Drive in when I a teen. Just thought I would share how they make them at Sonic Drive In . To make one of these drinks we would use spirte for the base. Then one fresh squeezed lime in the small drink size with one pump of cherry syrup ( you can buy the syrup on amazon or at walmart) and a cherry to it off. For every size cup up you would add one more lime and one more pump of cherry syrup. The syrup brand at walmart or Amazon is Torani Syrup, Cherry. =)

Alexandra
        August 14, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Grenadine works well too. In fact it is basically the same thing as Cherry syrup. Used to make a Shirley Temple and other various drinks. I often make cherry lemonade or cherry limeade ( adding in Lime Coridal which is amazing). Never have I mixed with Sprite, I will definitely try this as I love Sonic too! But I’m in Canada and sadly there is no Sonic here, or in any neighbouring states.
        Mallory, you are right about using Minute Maid, do not use generic store brand concentrate. Its just not the same lol. I love the sounds of these Sonic recipes and I will be buying the ingredients tomorrow!! πŸ™‚

Stephanie
    January 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

Yum, I LOVE Sonic’s cherry limeade! I really need to make this, it would save me a ton of trip to Sonic (and some money too!)
    Stephanie recently posted…2013 a Year in Wordless Wednesday Photos {LINKY}My Profile

Jenna
    January 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I am so excited I found this recipe. This is my moms all time favorite drink. She is visiting next month and I am going to make it for her. She will be quite excited.
    I know what you mean about missing fast food restaurants. I still dream about chic-fil-a milkshakes πŸ˜‰ happy new year!
    Jenna recently posted…The New YearMy Profile

Tab
    January 1, 2014 at 6:21 pm

The way a Sonic cherry lime aid is made is as follows. (Route 44 size) Sprite, two squirts of cherry syrup, a squeeze of one wedge of lime and crushed ice. Cherries and lime wedge in the bottom. Save on the concentrate. πŸ™‚

Shannon
    January 3, 2014 at 11:13 am

This will make my husband and children very happy! Thanks for sharing.

Daniela Walsh
    January 3, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I am addicted to Sonic Limeades! Thanks for the recipe.

Would love to have you link up at Link’n Blogs with this post, too!

xo
    Daniela
    Put A Bird On It

Sherri @ MadeFromPinterest
    January 3, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I have good memories of Sonic too! You have made me feel nostalgic! I love pink drinks, they just make me feel like it is a party. This will be great for kiddos and adults for the Super Bowl! Our readers will love this idea.
    We would love to have you join us at our weekly Super Saturday Link Party. It goes live tonight at 7 MST at http://www.madefrompinterest.net. It would be our honor to have you share your great work with us!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    January 9, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for posting this at the Saturday Night Fever link party. Hope to see you back on Saturday!

Jamielyn Nye
    January 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Love this!! I miss AZ food too!

Saturday Night Fever #16: A Recipe Link Party
    January 13, 2014 at 12:58 am

[…] Favorites: Sonic Cherry Limeade Copycat Recipe from Classy […]

Jelli
    March 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Mallorie, this looks so tasty. Lovin’ your blog, especially that fun-loving profile pic. Found your site from Super Saturday and so excited to take a look around. Pinning this recipe.
    Jelli recently posted…Cream Cheese Pound Cake CupcakesMy Profile

Karly Gomez
    April 16, 2014 at 2:08 am

Yum, Mallory! I love a good Sonic hack, that way I can stay home and enjoy my drink without having to brave the AZ heat, ha ha ha! I’d love to have you link this up with me for the Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party, this would make an awesome addition!

-Karly
    Karly Gomez recently posted…Create & Share DIY and Recipe PartyMy Profile

Lakisha
    April 19, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Omg…. I can not wait to try this recipe. This is one of my favorite drinks! Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

Sonic Ocean Water Copycat Recipe
    May 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm

[…] it over some ice and you’ve got yourself the best dang drink ever. A close competitor with Sonic’s Cherry Limeade which you can also make at home with my recipe, […]

Ashlyn @ Belle of the Kitchen
    June 27, 2014 at 2:39 am

Oh my word, I feel like I could hug you!!! We have been stationed in Hawaii for the past year and a half, and my husband and I talk all the time about how much we miss Sonic limeades since there is no Sonic here! I’m going to make these this weekend and surprise him. THANK YOU!!! πŸ™‚
    Ashlyn @ Belle of the Kitchen recently posted…Watermelon LemonadeMy Profile

Kait
    July 3, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I’m having a cook-out this weekend and wanted a fun drink so I decided to give this a test run today… YUM! I’m glad I have a pitcher to myself that I don’t need to share πŸ˜› Thank you for sharing this!

Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken - Classy Clutter
    September 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm

[…] for dinner, like tonight!!! Don’t forget to try some of our other yummy recipes! Sonic Cherry Limeade Copycat Recipe Skinny Black Bean Salad No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake « Burlap Fall […]

2-ingredient Sparkling Apple Cider
    November 25, 2014 at 3:00 pm

[…] Sonic Cherry Limeade […]

Non-Alcoholic Drink Recipes
    December 24, 2014 at 7:00 am

[…] Sonic Cherry Limeade Copycat […]

Carly
    January 1, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Thanks so much for this! You did nail it!! I made it last night for our NYE party and it was a HUGE hit! Tastes just as good as Sonic’s to me! πŸ™‚

Lynne Thomas
    April 11, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Hi I am a big fan of the cranberry Limeaide does anyone have that recipe? Would be so happy to receive that recipe.. For 4 years when coming home from Boston after a day of chemo and radiation for my son we would stop into sonic and get route 44’s. Sam died August 2,2014. So needless to say I have not had one since then and I am craving that beverage. Really hope someone out there has the recipe. Thanks for helping!!!!!!

Bridgett
    June 26, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Back in high school (in the 80s), before Sonic “trademarked” the Cherry Limeade, we would order a Cherry, Vanilla, Lime Sprite. The Cherry Limeade they serve now didn’t taste the same until I asked them to add a shot of Vanilla to it. Now they taste the same as the ones we used to order back in “The Day”!!

Dianna
    May 2, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Hello.
    Thanks for the recipe. I was just wondering how you might cut this down to single servings? Like possibly using a can of sprite instead of a 2 liter, but then how much of the lime aid concentrate and how much cherry syrup?
    Dianna