DIY Coat Closet Makeover

DIY Coat Closet Makeover 4

I have been wanting to do this DIY Coat Closet Makeover in my living room since like… the day we moved in. Coat closets are infamously known for collecting junk. That’s what ours did and it drives me bonkers! NO. ONE. including myself half the time, hangs up their coats when they have to untangle hangers and fiddle for a spot to hang their coat. It’s easier to throw it in the closet and stuff the door shut right? Not anymore! Cue hallelujah chorus!

DIY Coat Closet Makeover_Text

First thing I did was emptied the entire closet. Everything… out! I removed the hangers and the closet bar. Next up, paint! I used a mixture of Behr’s Canton Jade and Tropical dream which is the perfect soft mint green.  Next, I painted all the trim and the shelves a glossy white.  I spray painted 8 hooks a shiny gold and installed them on the existing trim.

DIY Coat Closet Makeover 3

I moved the table, chair and rug out of the way for the first photo but this is what it looks like in the living room with the door open. Still my favorite little space in the house. You can see the full reading nook post here.

DIY Coat Closet Makeover 4

I also added another row of trim half way down the closet so my little guys (age 5, 3, and 10 months) can hang their coats themselves. Well, maybe I’ll help my 10 month old for a few more months *winks*  My Hello Apparel tote fits in quite nicely too!

DIY Coat Closet Makeover 5

The cream canvas bins are from Walmart for a couple bucks each. I slid in a gold glitter background and a label for what’s inside each bin.

DIY Coat Closet Makeover 2

Step back a little and you can see this whole side. Obviously, we don’t keep the door open but when it is open,  I love how pretty it is!

Coat Closet Before and AfterWhat’s really cool is that you can knock this project out in one day! It’s super easy and makes sooo much more sense. No more fiddling with hangers and coats piled on the floor.  Now I just need to have the carpet threshold installed and we’re in business.

What do you think? Any craziness going on in your closets. I showed you mine, so you’ve gotta tell me! I’m not alone with this pre-makeover disaster of a closet am I?

Have a super fun and super safe New Years Eve!!! See you in 2014!! xoxo

Mallory Sig

Image Map

December 31, 2013 at 9:54 am

Omg… I love these ideas. I’m definitely going to work on redoing my coat closet after seeing your makeover. I just bought some sample paint that’s going to be perfect for my closet..
    Kristi recently posted…Mother- Daughter DateMy Profile

Sonya ~At Home with The Barkers
    December 31, 2013 at 10:52 am

This is so awesome!! I pinned it! I love making a space work for my family, great job!
    Happy New Year ~Sonya
    Sonya ~At Home with The Barkers recently posted…Save on Groceries without CouponsMy Profile

December 31, 2013 at 6:37 pm

This is gorgeous!! I am debating about doing something similar to our front hall closet but I’m just not sure where to put all the “stuff” that’s in there now. That door hides a whole lot of stuff.

January 1, 2014 at 12:07 pm

It looks amazing Mallory – so pretty. I love the mint and gold.
    Krista recently posted…The Favourite 13 of 2013My Profile

January 3, 2014 at 11:01 am

Very pretty! But where did you move all the coats and ski clothes to??

January 3, 2014 at 11:29 am

Thanks for your question! I have another set of hooks near our garage door where we’re supposed to keep the winter coats and clothes. It was only a matter of putting them where they belong. Also, don’t let me fool you that it always looks this pretty. *winks* Each hook is assigned to each member of my family and their coat belongs there during the winter. I also have one hook designated for the diaper bag. Unfortunately, Multicolored winter coats don’t make for a pretty picture to show off the hard work I did in this little closet so they got hung elsewhere for the photo shoot! Just keepin in real! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    January 3, 2014 at 11:25 am

What a gorgeous makeover! I love love love that minty green you used!
    Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno recently posted…Puttin’ It Out There.My Profile

Amy W
    January 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm

With a closet this adorable, I’d totally leave the door open!

DesDesiree @The36thAvenue
    January 3, 2014 at 10:59 pm

This is super cute… I am featuring it tomorrow. Thank you so much for linking up with The Party Bunch!

January 4, 2014 at 1:04 am

I love your closet makeover! And I absolutely am in love with the triangle wall! Did you use a stencil or is that wallpaper? Can you also tell me where you got the supplies please? I seriously love it!!!

January 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

It looks beautiful, but what did you do with all of your stuff?

January 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Heather!

Good question! I actually just put it all where it belongs! We have another set of hooks near our garage door that holds extra snow coats and clothing. Boots go in the garage.

Don’t get me wrong, there are usually more coats in there than in the photo but the 5 multicolored snow coats don’t make for a very pretty photo to show off the hard work and organization we did. Each child has a hook assigned that they put their coats on a daily basis and one hook is for the diaper bag. Other than that, everything just got put away where it actually belongs! It’s so much prettier and much more functional now! Thanks for your comment! xoxo

January 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Magazine worthy my friend! It looks Ah-mazing!! I have been working on organizing our entryway closet (which is now a craft closet because who needs coats in Florida) for over a year now and I think what it needs is a fresh fun coat of paint!!

January 5, 2014 at 4:22 pm

So very pretty!! I will now be adding “paint all the closets!!!” to my to-do list. LOVE IT!!

kate blue
    January 5, 2014 at 7:24 pm

great idea! And this is another way to get rid of some coats that my family never wears! Headed to Lowe’s or Home Depot tomorrow to grab some paint & some hooks! Going into 2014 using LESS!! Thanks for inspiring!

January 9, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Love this! I wish I could do this to the closet here in our townhome but we are renting and can’t make cute changes! So for now I admire all the fun things you get to do! Thank you!

January 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm

They closet looks awesome! Great idea! I love your triangle walls, how did you do them??

Kayla @ Home Coming
    January 23, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Beautiful room. I love the colors you chose, and that wall is amazing!
    Kayla @ Home Coming recently posted…What’s your style?My Profile

January 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm

LOVE this idea and this color palette! I’m putting this palette into my new home next week, and have a favor to ask. Can you tell me the color of WHITE you used on the walls and trim, by chance? It looks amazing with the coral/mint/gold combo! Thanks so much in advance!

January 25, 2014 at 12:52 am

Hi Keri!!!

You are so so sweet! Thank you for your compliments! The wall color is Behr’s Swiss Coffee and the trim is just Ultra Pure White. Most brands have a pure white color for doors and trim. 🙂

Megan K.
    January 26, 2014 at 4:03 am

I would love to know where your wallpaper is from!? I love it!

Coral and Mint Living Room Reveal -
    March 6, 2014 at 9:54 pm

[…] the door is open, you can see my super fun mint coat closet makeover. That closet makeover was a long time coming and has helped tremendously in keeping this room […]

Grace Johnson
    March 7, 2014 at 10:44 pm

What ratio of the paints did you use to come up with that beautiful shade of mint?

March 9, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Hi Grace! I had the paint guys at Home Depot mix a shade right in between the two. They’re side by side on the Behr color card. Hope that helps!! 🙂

Grace Johnson
        May 24, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Thank you for replying. That shade is gorgeous!

Hannah Crisp
        August 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm

That was my question too! I’m wondering if I could get a little sample pot in each color and mix them together? I only need it for accents like frames. Do you think it would work? Thanks beauties!! <3

April 7, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Love love love it! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays 😀 Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

May 25, 2014 at 1:41 pm

The closet and the room are a thing of beauty!

But where does all the family junk go? Doesn’t it just creep back in? It does here!!! Lol

May 26, 2014 at 11:54 am

Hi Shannon! The family junk definitely creeps back in! LOL! I have bins at the top to hold most of what usually creeps back in and I try to put things back where they belong about once a week-ish so it is usually (not always!) pretty tidy! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

Nina Schilling
    June 30, 2014 at 10:43 am

I love the closet but I am OBSESSED with the tan geometric pattern on the wall ! Is it wallpaper? painted?

100 Cheap DIY Upgrades for Under $100 Each
    October 1, 2014 at 1:10 am

[…] Coat closet makeover: add hooks and shelving to make your coat closet more functional and attractive. Cost: […]

andrea pearlman
    October 8, 2014 at 1:49 am

love the closet makeover room!
    where can i get the wallpaper.

October 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm

[…] 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 […]

Clever Hall Closet Storage Ideas - Home and Event Styling
    March 16, 2015 at 6:30 am

[…] { 1 – Better Homes & Gardens / 2 – This Old House / 3 – Classy Clutter / 4 – My Home Ideas / 5 – Style At Home / 6 – The 36th Avenue / 7 – Better […]

20 DIY Closet Solutions To Keep You Organized This Spring
    March 19, 2015 at 1:06 pm

[…] SOURCE […]

45+ Life-Changing Closet Organization Ideas For Your Hallway, Bedroom And Nursery! – Cute DIY Projects
    March 22, 2015 at 4:10 pm