Inexpensive Craft Room Shelving

Industrial-Glam-Craft-Organization-758x1024

I’m super excited to give you all a little peek into my basement craft studio today. Today I’m revealing my cheap storage solution for the craft room. It’s totally not done but I’m made a ton of progress from what this dungeon basement used to be. Unfinished basements are usually scary. It’s like no man’s land down there. Like any space, I thought maybe it had potential. One day I thought I was being a genius and I cleaned up the space and put all the 80 gazillion toys in the basement. Let’s just cut to the chase.. it was total mayhem. Always a mess. Always yuck. I didn’t want to be down there, the kids didn’t want to be down there and the toys ended up making their way back upstairs. BOO!

Industrial Glam Craft Organization

Then, I actually had a genius idea and decided to switch the playroom to upstairs and to move my craft room downstairs. I could clean up the space again, right?

Boys on moving day.jpg

If you follow us on instagram (@classyclutter) you may remember how excited the boys were on moving day! They brought Rescue Bots to the party. If you don’t follow us, you should! *winks*

I emptied both rooms and the switcheroo began. After a couple months, the playroom was done! You can see the full playroom reveal here.

Playroom_12.jpgSo fun right!?! My kids absolutely LOVE it in there and that makes for a very happy mommy!

Next, my turn!! Time to transform the dungeon into a functioning room. Eek!! My husband repainted the walls with this cool moisture/mold prevention paint and I repainted the already grey flooring to give it a fresh look.

First project to tackle was finding an inexpensive storage solution. I needed a ton of it. I scoured craigslist for armoires, dressers, bookcases, shelving etc. It needed to be functional and cheap. Finally, I came across 7, yes 7 steel shelving units for $25. DONE! There were 4 large and 3 huge sets of shelving. If that’s not a steal, I don’t know what is.

shelves before

Let’s get real. They’re pretty ugly. I mean industrial shelving doesn’t exactly scream girly glam craft studio does it? Enter ballet pink spray paint and wood grain contact paper. Quick Home Depot trip and bam! I took two of the units outside and spray painted two of the shelves pink. Then, I found wood grain contact paper from Home Depot and cut it to size of the shelves.

Craft Studio Shelves.jpg

Sooo much better. I LOVE how much storage it provides. It holds all of my vinyl shop supplies and shipping materials.

Vinyl Rolls

Cameo

CREATE letters

I took my CREATE letters from my old craft room and spray painted them gold. Then, I glittered them! Obsessed.

Supply Caddies

These Target Dollar Spot caddies are perfect for holding my little supplies.

gold cupcake

This is one of my faves. What is better than a gold cupcake? Probably nothing. I got this cupcake piggy bank from Target and spray painted it gold.

Be Happy Print

This cute little print came from a free download from Sugar Paper. I printed it and added glitter to the gold dots. How stinkin’ cute is that!?

Craft Studio Shelves 2

I can’t wait to show you the rest!

Mallory Sig

Shawnie Fresh
    December 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Absolutely love it! So girly and fresh and clean!

Jess @ Spool and Spoon
    December 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Love everything about these shelves! I love that you decided to repurpose a room that just wasn’t ‘doing it’ for your family. I’m sure a private, creative space for mom is just what you need 🙂

BTW — do you mind if I ask what brand of paint you used on the walls?

Jenny
    December 12, 2013 at 1:07 am

What paint did you use to paint the cupcake?

Mandy
    December 13, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I love the cupcake! Everything came out so awesome
    Mandy recently posted…In the Kitchen – Snowball CookiesMy Profile

Michelle
    December 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Beautiful Makeover. I love the pretty pink shelves! I’m going to have to start scouring Craigslist for some ugly storage units. Thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle

Sammiey @ Raindrops and Kisses
    December 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I love the pink gold and white! It looks so clean and pretty. I really like that chandelier in that last picture too.
    Sammiey
    Sammiey @ Raindrops and Kisses recently posted…Chalkboard Font LoveMy Profile

Ashley Parrish
    December 21, 2013 at 11:19 pm

How cute! I need to remember this when it comes time for my Craft Room Makeover! Thanks for the idea 🙂
    Ashley Parrish recently posted…Work It WednesdayMy Profile

suzie dyer
    December 31, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I love your space, so cute!! I have a question though. Do your rolls of vinyl come unrolled the way you have them just sitting there? Do you have them corralled in someway? Thanks.

Also, I just wanted to tell you that I tried to access your project gallery and got an error message.

Rebecca
    January 3, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I desperately need to reorganize my craft supplies, yours look fantastic! What a great deal on the shelves! You’ve inspired me to start Craigslist stalking!

Meg @ Lip Gloss and Lumber
    January 4, 2014 at 3:35 am

WOW, your craft room turned out beautifully. Those shelve look great spray painted too, awesome idea. And, I totally love your use of glitter, glitter is just so fun! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Meg @ Lip Gloss and Lumber recently posted…Top 5 Posts of 2013My Profile

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims
    January 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

Spray painting them pink instantly made them so much more cute! Love how this room is turning out!

suburbsmama
    January 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Awesome space! I can’t believe those are the same shelves. If you get a chance, please link up to my link party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunday-linky-39.html
    suburbsmama recently posted…Sunday Linky #39My Profile

Angelina-JoJo and Eloise
    January 5, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Hello Super Cute Girls with the SUPER cute Craft room!! Love this 🙂 Let me know when you want me to come over and craft with you {{*Wink*}} Coming over from TT&J
    xoxo

January 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm

haha hi!! We would LOOOVE to craft with you girl! If you’re ever in the Buffalo, NY/Niagara Falls area, you’re welcome to craft with me!!! xoxo

Sherri Sylvester
    January 10, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Your room looks amazing! I’ve got some inspiration to clean mine now… 🙂
    Sherri Sylvester recently posted…Infinity Scarf Tutorial {guest post}My Profile

Anna-Leigh
    January 11, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love this idea! We recently moved (into a bigger house with little storage space/closets/cabinets) and I’ve been trying to come up with thrift store ideas for storage. And this is great inspiration!
    Anna-Leigh recently posted…Green/Active ~ Nurture Photography Challenge Autumn 2013My Profile

Kim Friend
    January 31, 2014 at 6:09 pm

OMG it’s so tidy how do you manage that? It looks lovely though happy crafting times in the future.

Craft Studio and Mohawk Rug Giveaway
    February 4, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…]  First, I wanna show you what I’ve been up to in the Craft Studio. I showed your the industrial shelves turned into glamorous pink craft shelving. I have done a few more things in the room but there is still lots to be done. I have built the […]

Kristin @ The O.C.D. Life
    February 6, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I just ordered letters to place the word create above my pegboard in my crafting room. Love yours!!! I am loving the gold cupcake too. I think I may have to use that idea. It would go great with my keep calm and eat a cupcake print. 🙂 xoxo

jennie
    February 11, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Love this space and I am drooling over all that vinyl! Do you have a good source to buy from? My place just tripled their prices!

February 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Hi Jennie!

I just Expressionsvinyl.com and have had great luck with them. I have been buying from them for years. Pretty sure they know me by now! lol!

Nora Nuno
    March 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I LOVE how you’ve decorated! I hope you don’t mind but I took the cupcake inspiration for a party I just helped decorate, it matched perfectly!
    Nora Nuno recently posted…California Gurl’s Inspired 8th BirthdayMy Profile

Katharine of Kat's Almost Purrfect World
    June 13, 2014 at 3:52 am

I never would have thought of spray painting industrial shelves but it makes so much sense. That is about the same pink as my walls. The walls were painted Beirs Botichelli Pink mixed with cream. It’s very soft and subtle. I still love it 4 years later. I have industrial shelves in the closet, for my craft supplies. First I need to finish my inspiration wall.

Dee
    June 30, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Love Love Just Love the shelves
    But why use the paper? Is there something I need to before I do mine.
    Fabric mostly will be stored on them.
    I want a cupcake lol

July 2, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Hi Dee! The paper was just to dress them up a bit. Totally just a personal preference. You can totally just paint them!

Thanks,
      Mallory

Tamzin
    September 7, 2014 at 4:06 am

Your blog is really interesting, dynamic and full of life! Love it!

Craft Room Makeover: Part 1 {Inspirations} | My Love of Style – My Love of Style
    October 13, 2014 at 12:06 pm

[…] Photo via Classy Clutter […]

Craft Supply Organization Ideas
    November 13, 2014 at 11:56 am

[…] Organize vinyl and other supplies on an industrial shelving unit, painted pink! From, Classy […]

Pinterest Feature Friday - Mine for the Making
    January 16, 2015 at 5:46 am

[…] If getting organized is on your to-do list, visit her Get Organized/Clean Board where you’ll find gems like this Craft Room Shelves idea from Classy Clutter. […]

Stamp Me Happy | {Organization} 10 Craft Room Organization Ideas