DIY $5 Ombre Ikat Curtains

DIY-5-Ombre-Ikat-Curtains2.jpg2

DIY $5 Ombre Ikat Curtains.jpg

Hi friends! Thanks SO MUCH for all the postive feedback from my Reading Nook! You all are the BEST and sure know how to make a girl feel proud of her work! 😉

That being said, I had a ton of requests for the tutorial for the ikat curtains. Today’s the day! It’s so so easy just a little time consuming but oh so worth it!

$5 sheet curtains

First, you need curtains. You can purchase some plain window panels but if you want to do this project around $5, do what I did and make two curtain panels using a flat twin sheet from walmart.

DSC_0956

I measured 5″ strips of some cheap painters tape. Just any tape will work. This is just a guide. I used painter’s tape because it doesn’t leave any residue behind.

DSC_0957

Then, we taped off the design. Oh! I say “we” because my friend, Jen, helped me with this projects. Friends make projects 10x more fun and Jen is super talented!

DSC_0960

Basically, I found an ikat design online that I liked and mimiced the look with tape to get the overall shape of it. Ikat is awesome becuase it isn’t meant to look clean and polished and perfect. Messy texture makes it better! I love it!

DSC_0962

I decided I wanted a chevron/zig zag line then a few diamonds and just alternated.  Next we placed the horizontal tape line every 8″ to mark where I wanted to change colors for the ombre effect. I used Sherwin Williams “Emotional”. I ended up mixing 4 different coral colors adding more white to get each lighter and lighter for the ombre. Then I used some gold craft paint to do the center of the diamond.

Okay so I didn’t get a photo of the next step! D’oh! but it’s easy! I took a fine tip craft paint brush and made about a million teeny vertical lines! Here’s what it looks like when you’ve brushed it on.

Screen shot 2013-09-24 at 12.16.10 PM

When you’re done painting, let it dry and peel off the tape.  Each panel took about an hour to paint so just watch a movie or FRIENDS if you need some entertainment! 😉

*Note* I did not use a fabric medium. Just plain latex paint like you’d paint a wall with.

ikat curtains

I seriously love them! I love how they complete the look of this little reading nook!

Mint Chair Corner

If you like this, do me a favor and pin it and share with your friends! 🙂

Mallory_Sig

stephani
    September 25, 2013 at 4:49 am

Have you found that the curtains are now stiff at the bottom where you painted? We painted ours and they just sit on the floor…no flow to the bottom portion. any way tobfix this? Run em through the washer?

kathleen quinn
      July 27, 2015 at 1:14 am

Next time add fabric medium to the paint.

Stephani
    September 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I did something similar a few months ago to my curtains. We used regular house paint without a medium so they’re quite stiff. Have you encountered this? What will unstiffen them?

September 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hi Stephani!

Actually because I used so little paint and such a small brush (and small brush strokes) They are not stiff at all. I think running them through the wash is a good idea! That might help your problem with the stiffness! Good luck and thanks for stopping by our blog! Hugs, Mallory

Jess
    September 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

These look so cute and I want to do the same thing. But I’m confused how you painted it on especially around the tape and still get that blurred line look.

Tausha
    December 27, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Mallory-
    These are awesome! I have tried to attempt to paint my own fabric curtains before & they didn’t work. But this IKAT fabric pattern is genius! Love it and totally pinning! PS-your ig link is broke. Just an FYI. I had to go the long way to follow you. totally not a big deal, but I just wanted you to know.
    Happy Weekend!

Tausha
    sassystyleredesign.com

December 28, 2013 at 12:35 am

Hey Tausha! You’re so sweet! Thanks for letting us know about the link! I fixed it! Thanks so much for stopping by! xoxo

Curtains Sunshine Coast
    January 3, 2014 at 1:52 am

Yes, its true that there are various shows on TV that make changes to the old home  and after doing some creative and innovative changes, the show make the old home to new dream home which is the part  I like the most. I like changes in life. I think every living and non living thing need change in life to become different for the new generation. I think its true that history repeats itself. There are many programs on TV those give ideas about interior home design.

Link Party Palooza #22 I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking
    January 3, 2014 at 6:52 pm

[…] these DIY curtains from Classy Clutter that I saw linked up last week. So cute and […]

Ashley Williams
    January 3, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I am so obsessed and want to make these soo bad but I’m so confused at how you painted them. Do you paint around the tape or what?

January 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hi Ashley!

I used the tape as a guide and took a teeny tiny brush and just did little up and down strokes in between the two tape lines to get the ikat look!

Thanks for reading our blog! xoxo

nikki@nikkisnacs
    January 10, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I have been trying to decide WHAT to paint on white sheets for new curtains in my dining room. I think this is it! I almost bought a new set of curtains today, but I think this will be more fun! Yay! Now I don’t have to decide on a stencil and won’t have to fork over the extra dough. Great timing!

Great Ideas -- 19 Budget-Friendly DIY Projects!!
    January 12, 2014 at 2:17 am

[…] DIY $5 Ombre Ikat Curtains @ Classy Clutter […]

Bethany
    January 12, 2014 at 8:23 am

These are gorgeous!
    Bethany recently posted…{Simple DIY Three-Ring Earrings}My Profile

How to make your own curtains or shades - MotivaNova - MotivaNova
    January 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm

[…] DIY Tutorial at classyclutter.net […]

the cape on the corner
    January 13, 2014 at 10:15 am

love those curtains, I bet that was time consuming making those zig zags, but tooooootally worth it!
    the cape on the corner recently posted…Gorgeous gray girls and random craziesMy Profile

Alyson @Vintage Sunshine
    January 22, 2014 at 11:43 am

These turned out great. I love the colors you chose too!
    Alyson @Vintage Sunshine recently posted…Organizing with Erin Condren: A Giveaway!My Profile

Gold Gallery Wall
    February 24, 2014 at 11:17 pm

[…] $5 Ikat Curtains […]

Heather {Woods of Bell Trees}
    February 26, 2014 at 1:37 am

These curtains are flat out AMAZING! I guess I won’t be buying yard and yards of fabric to sew mine but I will be painting them instead! LOVE!

Cierra
    May 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Love that floral pillow! Can you tell me where to get it?

Cierra
    May 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Thank you so much!! Love your style 🙂

Defne Nuriye
    July 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Hiii! I am really in love with your curtains and that method will work for me just right but I just wonder, won’t the paint come off when you wash them?
    Love, thank you lots for sharing all those lovely things! <3

July 6, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hi Defne!

To be honest, I haven’t needed to wash them at this point but I’ve washed things with painted designs before without a problem. If you iron the backside of the paint design (the back of the curtain) it sets the paint and should stay just fine! Thanks so much!

xoxo – Mallory

Defne Nuriye
        July 12, 2014 at 3:01 am

Well, that is a relief! I painted a couple of things without using fabric medium and I was just curious about how it would last.. I personally love you and thank you so so much, because even at one visit you taught me so much! Now I’m on my way fo a sharpie wall..
        Thanks for being so out of the box! It was pure luck to find you.. <3 <3

Rachel
    July 30, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Wow great job! I can’t believe you made these, they turned out incredible. Looks great with the room.

Sarah
    September 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I love the end table in the ikat curtain pic! Do you remember where it is from?

JFord
    October 4, 2014 at 12:37 am

I love these curtains!…I’m going to make them with a drop cloth from Lowe’s cause I want to have light color curtains that are a little heavier for winter and the drop cloth washes wonderfully !!

Inspiration from Around the Web: Ikat | Revamperate
    November 25, 2014 at 2:24 pm

[…] 3 | DIY ikat curtains by Classy Clutter […]

Guest Post: Our favorite DIY projects – I guarantee these will inspire | Wha-la
    January 23, 2015 at 8:15 am

[…] Curtains aren’t cheap, and if you like to change them up frequently, your wallet can really take a hit.  I wanted ikat curtains but didn’t want to cough up the bucks, so I eventually found a great deal on fabric and sewed them.  Another great option is to buy some cheap curtains (or twin flat sheets from walmart) and paint them.  I love the ones above.  See how to do ithere. […]

10 DIY Window Dressings to Bring in the Spring | KM Crafts
    March 5, 2015 at 6:11 pm

[…] Ombre Ikat Curtains – Let the sun shine in! Classy Clutter turned cheap white curtains into eye-catching painted […]