So recently I went to Costco and bought a ginormous bag of Black Chia Seeds. What in heavens name am I going to do with 2 pounds of Chia Seeds?! Apparently they are all the rage right now. Probably because they’re high in protein, fiber and Omega 3’s. I was a little skeptical about eating seeds…but after trying them, I gotta say, I like them!
I stir a couple tablespoons in my yogurt every morning and it adds a nice little crunch plus keeps me fuller longer. You can add them to almost anything you eat since they don’t change the flavor of it.
When I added the chia seeds to these muffins, I didn’t tell my two older boys and I had them try one. They didn’t say one word. Literally. They inhaled about half the batch right away. If you don’t have hungry pre-teen boys at your house, I suggest freezing the amount you can’t eat and heating one up in the microwave for a few seconds when you get a chocolate craving. Also, if you don’t have chia seeds on hand, you can make this recipe without it, but I suggest giving them a try!
Chocolate Mini Muffins with Chia Seeds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. black chia seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1 (6-oz) container low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray (or use a 12-cup muffin tin and line with paper liner or spray with cooking spray).
- Combine flours, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa, baking soda and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl. In another small bowl, combine egg, yogurt, milk and oil with a whisk. Pour into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Scoop into muffin tins. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until springs back when touched on top. Enjoy!
Let's be besties!
Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!
xo, Mallory & Savannah