How to paint over stripes + my hallway makeover

Today you’re gonna learn how to paint over stripes the right way! YAY! If you simply get out your roller and paint over them, you’re gonna be sorry because you’re still going to be able to see them even if you have great paint coverage! Why? Because when you taped them off and painted them, you created a teeny tiny ledge of paint that when painted over, will stick out like a sore thumb. Believe me.

Mint Hallway

What you’ll want to do is take a sheet of sandpaper or a sanding block and sand down that little ledge so the wall is smooth underneath. If you have textured walls (I don’t in this house) you will sand lightly to remove the ledge but keep most of the texture intact so you don’t have to retexture the wall. Get it?

sand stripes

Then, when your wall is perfectly smooth, you’ll wipe down the wall to remove any sanding debris and once it dries, THEN you can take your roller and paint as usual! Easy right?

sanded stripes

Don’t skip the sanding, you’ll be sorry. It should look like this ^ when you’re done!

This is how I went from my striped wall (which I still love; I was ready for a change.)

To this DIY Striped Wall.. Tada! Fresh, minty goodness!

Mint Hallway 2

What do you think about my new minty hallway!? I used Savannah’s perfect mint color but a little lighter.  (Somewhere in between Behr’s Tropical Dream and Canton Jade – find it at The Home Depot), it’s the perfect mint tone. That Savannah sure knows her stuff.

Mint Hall with Gold Mirror

This mirror is an extension of my Gallery Wall that I can’t wait to show you! Eek!! Don’t mint and gold just look like they were meant to be!? I can’t WAIT to show you my next mint and gold project! If you follow me on instagram, you already got a sneak peek! Follow us on instagram! (@classyclutter)

how to paint over stripes the right way.jpg

What do you think friends? Are you loving mint right now?

Ranald Kogan
    August 28, 2013 at 12:10 am

I think you should try stripes with more bright colors next time you feel like moving back to stripes again.

Trine @ Creative Pink Butterfly
    August 28, 2013 at 5:08 am

I love that minty wall! I think it looks stunningly beautiful and I want it haha!
    Trine @ Creative Pink Butterfly recently posted…Tuesday’s Tea Party #38My Profile

August 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Funny you did this post. I painted stripes in our nursery and was thinking the other day if I ever want to paint over them, more prep work needs to be done. Sanding is the perfect solution.

August 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I love mint! It’s such a great color. Your gold mirror looks great against the mint walls.
    Jennifer recently posted…DIY Star GarlandMy Profile

Kayla @ Home Coming blog
    September 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I chose mint for my new living room – and LOVE it. Looks great! I’m hosting a candle giveaway on my blog that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/fremont-candles-givewaway-20-for.html
    Kayla @ Home Coming blog recently posted…Fremont Candles givewaway + 20% for everyone!My Profile

September 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Love the new refreshing mint!! truly looks gorgeous. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing,
    Molly recently posted…Mark Twain Quote BlockMy Profile

October 3, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Love it! I am painting my office this weekend and looking for that EXACT color! So far I’ve paint tested Seafoam Pearl and Window Pane (a shade up from sea foam pearl) but they are not turning out minty. Did you have them mix Tropcial Dream & Canton Jade together?

Rhino Shield
    October 24, 2013 at 2:00 am

Jenn Anderson
    Boston, MA

I am having l nightmares over the Rhino Shield covering on my house, installed just over three years ago. Large bubbles are in the material that I can slit and hand peel the material, right down to the bare red cedar clapboards, which were also primed with an oil primer and finished with latex paint before the Rhino-Shield was applied. The material has a lifetime guarantee, so when I called several persons, including the owner Rhino Shield they all came over quickly.

Rhino Shield said that the material was probably put on when the cedar was damp, and thus would strip everything and apply a new primer and finish coat, let dry, then apply new Rhino Shield, adding that there will be no more work till flashing is….
    Read more about my issue here

Meg @ Lip Gloss and Lumber
    December 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Hi Guys! I saw this at the Party Bunch link party. That gold mirror is amazing and it looks great with the minty wall. I would have never thought to put those colors together but I’m glad you did. It looks great and can’t wait to see the rest of the gallery wall. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
    Meg @ Lip Gloss and Lumber recently posted…DIy a Tufted Ottoman from a PalletMy Profile