How to paint laminate furniture

How-to-paint-laminate-1.jpg

How-to-paint-laminate-1.jpgPainting furniture is obviously one of my favorite things to do! I love the thrill of the hunt for a great piece, agonizing over what color to paint it, whipping out my spray gun, and picking or painting the perfect hardware. That being said, some furniture is a pain in the you know what to paint. Laminate is one of those types of furniture. However, if it’s a great piece and suits your needs (and your budget!) it’s worth the little extra work to make it awesome. You with me? Today I’m gonna teach you how to paint laminate furniture.

photo (18).jpgThis book case (? – Does this even classify as a book case?) is  a perfect example of just that! I found a piece I reeeeeally needed for storage and I had the perfect spot for it in my craft room and hello! it was $25. Score! One problem… that pesky laminate covering over the real wood. Sometimes, this can be a major deal breaker when picking furniture. This time, I went for it. After a ton of research and trial and error, I’ve found a great way to turn a laminate or veneer covered piece of furniture into an awesome, statement making, project!

how-to-paint-laminate-2.jpgFirst, clean your furniture really well! I’m talking every speck of dirt and grime, off! This product “Gloss off” is perfect for prepping your piece. It gets the dirt, grime and most of that glossy stuff off! You can paint right over it after 10 minutes and it’s supposed to help the paint adhere better. So far, I’m pleased with it.

how-to-paint-laminate-3.jpgNext, prime your furniture. I always use Kilz primer and have had great luck with it. For laminate furniture, you want to do at least 2 coats of primer and let them cure completely in between coats. You can even sand in between coats for maximum adhesion. (Fancy words eh?) I used a smooth roller and rolled on 2 coats of primer and let it dry overnight.

how to paint laminate 4.jpgWhile you’re waiting for your primer to dry, go ahead and get your hardware ready! I chose to spray paint this hardware gold because I LOVE gold and pink! I really like the rich gold color of Rustoleum’s metallic gold spray paint. To paint hardware, simply clean it really really well and let it dry. You can scuff it up with sand paper or steel wool before spraying it but that’s not always necessary. You can also spray the hardware with a clear laquer or polycrylic to protect your paint job. It’s worth the extra few steps to avoid cracking, scratched up hardware after a while.

paint laminate.jpgFinally, paint your furniture. I used my HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun with my air compressor to paint it.

The pink I chose was Behr Tutti Frutti. I LOVE this shade of hot pink! It’s perfect!

how to paint laminate 5.jpg

Here is Miss Pink all done and set up in my craft room. I was desperate for some extra storage for my vinyl and my Silhouette Cameo and supplies.

how to paint laminate 7.jpg

I organized my rolls of vinyl in these $3 Target “dollar spot” bins. My shipping supplies for my vinyl etsy shop are on top of the book case.

how to paint laminate 9.jpg

The teal and gold chevron box holds my Cameo cords.

how to paint laminate 6.jpg

I love the pink and gold contrast! One of my favorite color combos! Aren’t the original pulls really cute all fixed up? I love the key hole detail.

how to paint laminate 8.jpg

Here’s what you see when you open my craft room door or look down the hall into the room. It’s the perfect piece for what I needed! What do you think!? Have you ever painted laminate? Have you ever painted anything PINK!?

Mallory_Sig

If you liked this post, check out my full Craft Room Reveal here!

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Diane @ Vintage Zest
    June 5, 2013 at 12:27 am

Thanks for the tips! I’m pinning it right now. 🙂

Betty Dugger
      April 25, 2015 at 1:20 pm

love the directions in detail will be tryng soon

Lena
    June 5, 2013 at 4:11 am

Adorable! Absolutely love it! Thanks for the ‘how to’ on painting laminate! My husband always says, “no you can’t paint that stuff” but now I see that you can!
    XOXO/Lena

suzan sweatman
    June 5, 2013 at 4:18 am

It turned out just gorgeous – what a spectacular color!!! And the gold is perfect against it
    XOX

Krista @thehappyhousie
    June 5, 2013 at 9:39 am

I LOVE this piece!! And your craft room is looking so adorable! Mine looks like someone dumped a large garbage can full of craft supplies directly into the middle of it. Needs some serious love. I live in a house of all boys so it would be so fun to use that fabulous pink colour in my craft room – no where else I really get to use it… though I have added some bright pink to our summer front entrance lately and painted a little bird house and some wooden flowers (for my wreath) that same color. Awesome job, and thanks so much for all the tips about painting laminate. Two coats of primer…

Bri
    June 5, 2013 at 9:51 am

I have an old laminate bar cart that I’m desperate to make over & now I can. Thanks for helping me solve this angst ridden problem!!

Bronwyn
    June 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

Oh yes! This turned out so well. Love the shade you chose. That is my favourite colour EVER! I’ve never attempted to paint laminate before, but I have a few pieces that could use a “pick-me-up.” Maybe this summer I’ll give it a try! Thanks for the tips!!

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    June 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I adore your choices for this piece!!! I really wish I had a spray gun to paint all of the furniture I buy!! So jealous! 🙂

Klasik Koltuk Takımları
    June 13, 2013 at 5:01 am

Great designs. I really admire the look of each picture.

elly
    June 13, 2013 at 10:10 am

LOVE this! What brand spray gun and compressor have you had success with? I’d love to get one but there are too many competing options out there. Love the professional look on your finish…

Anjana @ At The Corner Of Happy & Harried
    June 13, 2013 at 10:15 am

It looks absolutely stunning! Thanks for the tips. Lovely shade of playful pink!!

suburbsmama
    June 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

What a gorgeous transformation! I love the pink. Thanks for the painting tips. If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-linky-party-12.html

alicia
    June 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Would this work for those brown toddler dressers just like the ones you get from Walmart?

Link Party 131 Features
    June 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm

[…] How to Paint Laminate Furniture from Classy Clutter […]

Rena
    July 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I love this project! Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn
    July 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I have never painted with a spray gun. Do you have to mix paint?
    Love the colour and glad you posted how to paint laminate furniture.

Linda had a little Lamb
    July 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm

What a great idea and I love the pink colour. Cute office too. Thanks for the tips.
    Linda had a little Lamb recently posted…My little lamb’s July photo session, Part OneMy Profile

Diana
    August 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

What an amazing looking piece. I have been researching paint sprayers. Which model do you use? I love the look! Thanks for sharing this amazing piece.

August 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hi Diane!

I use the HVLP Gravity Feed Spray gun (20 oz.) It is from Harbor Freight Tools and it’s between $15-30 depending on if it is on sale or not. It goes on sale often so watch for the sales! You need an air compressor for it as well. Good luck and thanks for stopping by our blog!

Hugs,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Heather
    August 13, 2013 at 10:31 am

Love the mont colored dresser. What is the color and brand?

Great Ideas -- 21 Colorful Projects
    August 17, 2013 at 3:17 am

[…] Laminate Furniture Painting Guide @ Classy Clutter […]

Monica
    August 28, 2013 at 10:30 am

Wow, thank you so much for sharing this! Do you have a link on where to buy the Krud Gloss Remover, is it at most stores? I don’t have very many reliable hardware stores nearby, and the largest chain is Walmart…..Any advice aside from buying online? I’ve got a few things I’d love to do this with!

Ann
    August 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm

You did a great job! I’m loving the color scheme!!!

Teresa
    September 14, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Hi, this looks great! Did you brush or spray on the KILZ primer? If brushed on, do brush marks show on finished piece?

Josh
    September 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for sharing! Great, detailed instructions. I look forward to using this technique in my home bar. Cheers!
    Josh recently posted…Three New Uses for Old DoorsMy Profile

lindsay
    October 10, 2013 at 11:33 am

thanks for this! looking to do this with my ikea table soon!
    lindsay recently posted…Married before Pinterest Part 1: The EngagementMy Profile

Karen
    December 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I’ve painted laminate bookcases before and also use 2 coats of Kilz. My problem was the shelves are cut so tight to begin with when I put them back in it scratched the inside of the bookcase. So the second one I just taped the sides of the shelves You don’t see them anyway. I’ve never used the Gloss Off, though. Great idea!

Classy Clutter's BEST of 2013
    December 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm

[…] How to paint laminate furniture […]

Lisa@ Creative Raisins
    January 17, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Okay so first I am in love with your color choice, the pink with the gold handles is perfection. While it was a piece that most would throw away before you have seen its potential and it turned out perfectly
    Lisa@ Creative Raisins recently posted…Entertainment Unit With a New PurposeMy Profile

Morgan {Style Oyster}
    January 24, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for this post! Looking for the perfect pink to paint my high chair and bar cart {old changing table} and I think Behr Tutti Frutti is it! It’s like hot bubble gum, exactly what I wanted. Very cute project and what a steal on that piece!
    Morgan {Style Oyster} recently posted…Five ThingsMy Profile

Karly Spalding Photography
    May 15, 2014 at 2:17 am

Very nice – will be trying this soon.
    Thanks
    Karly

Karly Spalding Photography recently posted…Welcome to the World Baby Adelaide | Newport Beach Newborn PhotographyMy Profile

Sarah
    May 25, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Love this! Great idea!

Melanie
    June 17, 2014 at 4:23 am

I don’t usually like bright pink but the work you have done on this piece of furniture is amazing!
    It looks like brand new! Good job 😀

jeri
    July 7, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Most of the laminate stuff out there is mdf w/”sticker wood grain” over it. Is that what you had? The “vinyl faux wood grain didn’t bubble up or anything? I’ve been wanting to paint some bookshelves, wondering if your technique would work.

July 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Hi Jeri!

That’s exactly what this bookshelf was. It’s held up great and hasn’t bubbled at all! Thanks!!!

Peggy
    July 10, 2014 at 1:06 pm

After priming the piece (laminate). Can I spray paint it with canned paint?

how to paint veneer furniture spray paint
    September 30, 2014 at 11:28 pm

[…] How to paint laminate furniture – classy clutter […]

Marjorie
    October 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm

question about the Krud Kutter. Did you feel it “dulled” it out to prime and paint? Does it have a heavy odor? thanks

October 5, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hi Marjorie! It definitely dulled it to prep for paint but it does also have quite an odor. Definitely use it outside or in an open area.

Thanks!!

how to paint laminate furniture spray paint
    October 13, 2014 at 5:24 am

[…] How to paint laminate furniture – classy clutter […]

how to paint laminate furniture with spray paint
    October 14, 2014 at 4:30 am

[…] How to paint laminate furniture – classy clutter […]

Barbara
      February 7, 2015 at 4:38 pm

We have a beloved family friend who passed and left us his home and furnishings. I have been wanting to paint the dining table and chairs he left us. The table top is laminate. Now I know how to paint the whole shebang and we will still have HIS table and chairs in our home. Thanks so much for your great instructions/help.
      Grandma Barbara

Gina Perestrelo
    October 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm

beautiful transformation, I just wondered how you found the wear and tear on the item as time has passed. I am contemplating painting my UPVC front door using a similar method, bearing in mind it will get more weather abuse.

Your comments are appreciated.

October 20, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hi Gina! This piece is still in great shape! It’s a great method!

Angie Black
    December 28, 2014 at 7:58 pm

This is crazy…..I have the EXACT same bookshelf! Actually, I have 2 of them! I inherited them when my husband and I got married. He used them in his bedroom, but I hated them! Right now they are side by side in a guest room because I have no idea what to do with them. I can’t wait for the weather to warm up….this will be a project for me. I just need to figure out what color to paint them. Maybe a gray?

Ouida
    March 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I’m thinking after reading your page on this furniture it is time for me to graduate to a paint sprayer. Which one would you recommend? I googled the one you had on your page but a lot of different ones came up.

Allison
    March 15, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I love what you have done with the bookcase but I especially love that teal buffet! It is gorgeous!!!

Emperatriz
    March 26, 2015 at 10:50 am

Great tips. Have a small book shelve with the same color and didn’t know where to start. Thanks

Trinity
    March 28, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Stunning transformation–I don’t know that I would have thought to pair the gold with hot pink, but you are absolutely correct — it’s an awesome color combination and looks so good in your craft room. I’m so glad you shared this, step-by-step, as I’m about to embark on laminate paint project myself and have been looking for some tips/direction. Thanks to you, I’m now officially motivated and to get started!

how to paint laminate furniture | android firmware download
    April 17, 2015 at 8:21 pm

[…] Download :How to paint laminate furniture – classy clutter […]

There
    November 19, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for sharing this idea. I have been looking for a piece of furniture for my daughter to redo. This will give us more options.

Millia Bon
    March 17, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I love spray paint!! I do wish there were a wider range of colors. I’ve learned to do several very light coats to avoid drips.
    Millia Bon recently posted…Wagner Spray Tech 0515034 Pro Coat 1/2-HP Airless SprayerMy Profile

March 18, 2016 at 6:59 am

We love spray paint at well! Ya if lighter coats work for you keep doing it so you can get a clean look! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

Imogen McKenzie
    May 29, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Hi, thank you so much in making me want to finally decorate my home how i visioned it. I just came in from doing my first project. I want to paint my daughters small bookshelf in grape purple, so i primed it first. Is it normal to finish a WHOLE can of primer on a small bookshelf or did i go overboard?