How to paint laminate furniture

How-to-paint-laminate-1.jpgPainting furniture is obviously one of my favorite things to do! I love the thrill of the hunt for a great piece, agonizing over what color to paint it, whipping out my spray gun, and picking or painting the perfect hardware. That being said, some furniture is a pain in the you know what to paint. However, if it’s a great piece and suits your needs (and your budget!) it’s worth the little extra work to make it awesome. You with me?

photo (18).jpgThis book case (? – Does this even classify as a book case?) is  a perfect example of just that! I found a piece I reeeeeally needed for storage and I had the perfect spot for it in my craft room and hello! it was $25. Score! One problem… that pesky laminate covering over the real wood. Sometimes, this can be a major deal breaker when picking furniture. This time, I went for it. After a ton of research and trial and error, I’ve found a great way to turn a laminate or veneer covered piece of furniture into an awesome, statement making, project!

how-to-paint-laminate-2.jpgFirst, clean your furniture really well! I’m talking every speck of dirt and grime, off! This product “Gloss off” is perfect for prepping your piece. It gets the dirt, grime and most of that glossy stuff off! You can paint right over it after 10 minutes and it’s supposed to help the paint adhere better. So far, I’m pleased with it.

how-to-paint-laminate-3.jpgNext, prime your furniture. I always use Kilz primer and have had great luck with it. For laminate furniture, you want to do at least 2 coats of primer and let them cure completely in between coats. You can even sand in between coats for maximum adhesion. (Fancy words eh?) I used a smooth roller and rolled on 2 coats of primer and let it dry overnight.

how to paint laminate 4.jpgWhile you’re waiting for your primer to dry, go ahead and get your hardware ready! I chose to spray paint this hardware gold because I LOVE gold and pink! I really like the rich gold color of Rustoleum’s metallic gold spray paint. To paint hardware, simply clean it really really well and let it dry. You can scuff it up with sand paper or steel wool before spraying it but that’s not always necessary. You can also spray the hardware with a clear laquer or polycrylic to protect your paint job. It’s worth the extra few steps to avoid cracking, scratched up hardware after a while.

paint laminate.jpgFinally, paint your furniture. I used my HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun with my air compressor to paint it.

The pink I chose was Behr Tutti Frutti. I LOVE this shade of hot pink! It’s perfect!

how to paint laminate 5.jpg

Here is Miss Pink all done and set up in my craft room. I was desperate for some extra storage for my vinyl and my Silhouette Cameo and supplies.

how to paint laminate 7.jpg

I organized my rolls of vinyl in these $3 Target “dollar spot” bins. My shipping supplies for my vinyl etsy shop are on top of the book case.

how to paint laminate 9.jpg

The teal and gold chevron box holds my Cameo cords.

how to paint laminate 6.jpg

I love the pink and gold contrast! One of my favorite color combos! Aren’t the original pulls really cute all fixed up? I love the key hole detail.

how to paint laminate 8.jpg

Here’s what you see when you open my craft room door or look down the hall into the room. It’s the perfect piece for what I needed! What do you think!? Have you ever painted laminate? Have you ever painted anything PINK!?

Mallory_Sig

If you liked this post, check out my full Craft Room Reveal here!

About Mallory & Savannah

Welcome to our blog! We’re so glad you’re here! We are Mallory and Savannah and we are the brains behind Classy Clutter, a one-stop-shop for all things creative. Classy Clutter keeps us connected from Arizona to New York. We hope you’ll enjoy our blog and come back often for inspiration, tips and tutorials. Thanks for stopping by!

29 Responses to How to paint laminate furniture

1. Thanks for the tips! I’m pinning it right now. :)

2. Lena says:

Adorable! Absolutely love it! Thanks for the ‘how to’ on painting laminate! My husband always says, “no you can’t paint that stuff” but now I see that you can!
    XOXO/Lena

3. It turned out just gorgeous – what a spectacular color!!! And the gold is perfect against it
    XOX

4. I LOVE this piece!! And your craft room is looking so adorable! Mine looks like someone dumped a large garbage can full of craft supplies directly into the middle of it. Needs some serious love. I live in a house of all boys so it would be so fun to use that fabulous pink colour in my craft room – no where else I really get to use it… though I have added some bright pink to our summer front entrance lately and painted a little bird house and some wooden flowers (for my wreath) that same color. Awesome job, and thanks so much for all the tips about painting laminate. Two coats of primer…

5. Bri says:

I have an old laminate bar cart that I’m desperate to make over & now I can. Thanks for helping me solve this angst ridden problem!!

6. Bronwyn says:

Oh yes! This turned out so well. Love the shade you chose. That is my favourite colour EVER! I’ve never attempted to paint laminate before, but I have a few pieces that could use a “pick-me-up.” Maybe this summer I’ll give it a try! Thanks for the tips!!

7. I adore your choices for this piece!!! I really wish I had a spray gun to paint all of the furniture I buy!! So jealous! :)

8. Great designs. I really admire the look of each picture.

9. elly says:

LOVE this! What brand spray gun and compressor have you had success with? I’d love to get one but there are too many competing options out there. Love the professional look on your finish…

10. It looks absolutely stunning! Thanks for the tips. Lovely shade of playful pink!!

11. suburbsmama says:

What a gorgeous transformation! I love the pink. Thanks for the painting tips. If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-linky-party-12.html

12. alicia says:

Would this work for those brown toddler dressers just like the ones you get from Walmart?

13. Pingback: Link Party 131 Features

14. Rena says:

I love this project! Thanks for sharing.

15. Marilyn says:

I have never painted with a spray gun. Do you have to mix paint?
    Love the colour and glad you posted how to paint laminate furniture.

16. What a great idea and I love the pink colour. Cute office too. Thanks for the tips.
    Linda had a little Lamb recently posted…My little lamb’s July photo session, Part OneMy Profile

17. Diana says:

What an amazing looking piece. I have been researching paint sprayers. Which model do you use? I love the look! Thanks for sharing this amazing piece.

• Hi Diane!

I use the HVLP Gravity Feed Spray gun (20 oz.) It is from Harbor Freight Tools and it’s between $15-30 depending on if it is on sale or not. It goes on sale often so watch for the sales! You need an air compressor for it as well. Good luck and thanks for stopping by our blog!

Hugs,
      Mallory @ Classy Clutter

18. Heather says:

Love the mont colored dresser. What is the color and brand?

19. Pingback: Great Ideas -- 21 Colorful Projects

20. Monica says:

Wow, thank you so much for sharing this! Do you have a link on where to buy the Krud Gloss Remover, is it at most stores? I don’t have very many reliable hardware stores nearby, and the largest chain is Walmart…..Any advice aside from buying online? I’ve got a few things I’d love to do this with!

21. Ann says:

You did a great job! I’m loving the color scheme!!!

22. Teresa says:

Hi, this looks great! Did you brush or spray on the KILZ primer? If brushed on, do brush marks show on finished piece?

23. Josh says:

Thanks for sharing! Great, detailed instructions. I look forward to using this technique in my home bar. Cheers!
    Josh recently posted…Three New Uses for Old DoorsMy Profile

24. lindsay says:

thanks for this! looking to do this with my ikea table soon!
    lindsay recently posted…Married before Pinterest Part 1: The EngagementMy Profile

25. Karen says:

I’ve painted laminate bookcases before and also use 2 coats of Kilz. My problem was the shelves are cut so tight to begin with when I put them back in it scratched the inside of the bookcase. So the second one I just taped the sides of the shelves You don’t see them anyway. I’ve never used the Gloss Off, though. Great idea!

26. Pingback: Classy Clutter's BEST of 2013

27. Okay so first I am in love with your color choice, the pink with the gold handles is perfection. While it was a piece that most would throw away before you have seen its potential and it turned out perfectly
    Lisa@ Creative Raisins recently posted…Entertainment Unit With a New PurposeMy Profile

28. Thanks for this post! Looking for the perfect pink to paint my high chair and bar cart {old changing table} and I think Behr Tutti Frutti is it! It’s like hot bubble gum, exactly what I wanted. Very cute project and what a steal on that piece!
    Morgan {Style Oyster} recently posted…Five ThingsMy Profile