How to clean your microwave in under 5 minutes with one secret ingredient!

How to clean your microwave

micro before and after.jpg.jpgCleaning a microwave is just plain annoying. I mean, let’s be honest, it’s way easier to just shut the door and pretend its not there. After all, no one can see inside!  Don’t tell me I’m alone in this? 😉 Well, cleaning your microwave after your husband reheats refried beans (for way too long!) is SUPER annoying. They splattered all over the place… Not cool. He was planning on cleaning it when I told him not too worry about it, he figured I was up to something.

Then, I busted out my secret weapon.

vinegar.jpg.jpg

To clean your microwave:

Pour a glass of distilled white vinegar and place it in the dirty microwave for 2 minutes on high.

Once it’s done, let it sit in the microwave for about 5 minutes without opening the microwave door. The hot steamy vinegar basically dissolves all the yuck, food and gunk in there.

Then, take a wash cloth or paper towel and wipe clean! No scrubbing required! If you find that you need to scrub, simply repeat the process. Keep in mind, there were over cooked (nasty!) refried beans splattered all over mine and it wiped clean easily after one vinegar treatment!

You can thank me later.

How to clean your microwave in 5 minutes or less - www.classyclutter.net

If you liked this, pin it and share it with your friends and family! They’ll thank you for it. Pinky swear!

Do you have any awesome vinegar tips? I use it for cleaning really often!

Remember when I used it to clean my towels?

Happy cleaning!

Mallory_Sig

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

mariafelicia
    June 13, 2013 at 8:03 am

great post..thanks for sharing
    kisses

Tracey
    June 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I do this but with about a tablespoon of concentrated lemon juice in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. Nice lemony scent after instead of vinegary.

Tracey
      June 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I do this but with about a tablespoon of concentrated lemon juice in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup of water. Nice lemony scent after instead of vinegary.

June 13, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Awesome idea!!! I haven’t noticed a vinegary smell but lemon sounds much better! 😉

Stephanie R
    June 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

You are my hero. I hate cleaning mine out because its such a pain in the butt!

Grey
    June 13, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Thank for this! I didn’t know to use vinegar, I have been using plain water. This will work so much better!

Melissa
    June 13, 2013 at 11:31 pm

And I thought I was the only one who had a husband that warms up refried beans and then watch them blow up in the microwave! lol Thank you very much for the great advice, I will be using it!

Stephanie R
    June 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Okay seriously, I thought you got a photo from inside my microwave! Im going to give this a try now!
    Stephanie R recently posted…Menu Plan Monday 6/24My Profile

Karen
    February 19, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tip. I tried this and unfortunately this didn’t work at all for me. I was tempted to do a longer time, but was worried about how the vinegar would react to being so hot. I ended up using good ol elbow grease.

February 19, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Oh no! So sorry it didn’t work for you! Did you leave it to steam for 5 minutes after the microwave stopped? I just did this on Monday with no problems. I used a clear glass bowl, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks so much for reading!

Joyce
    December 30, 2014 at 1:35 am

Thank you for the tip; I’m the only female renter in a boarding house, and the three men who also rent are, frankly, outright PIGS when it comes to the messes they make. Two of them I don’t mind cleaning up after, even the micro–this will sure help a lot with that, thankfully–but the third man nobody can stand. I’ll pass this on to the landlady so she can clean up after him more readily.

Alex
    October 21, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I have a combo MW/convection oven in which I regularly bake things at 400F , so the dirt on mine was well and truly baked on. It was also infinitely dirtier than yours in the “before” picture, and with *cough* way-older dirt.

I tried your method, and it made a dent, but did not clean it perfectly. I tried it again but left the vinegar on high for 5 minutes (which really does cover everything with steam). I also donned a heat-proof glove, dipped a nylon scraper pad in the remaining hot vinegar, and scrubbed really hard. No paper towels would have done the trick here. It took three iterations, but I’m amazed how good it looks. Actual hard work? About ten-fifteen minutes. Results? Really gratifying. Thanks for the tip!