How to add legs to furniture

Howtoaddlegstofurniture
Today I’m going to show you how to add legs to virtually any piece of furniture. It’s super simple and pretty fool proof! If you can use a drill, you can do it!
First, you’ll need the materials. I got the bookcase on the side of the road and the metal brackets and legs from Lowes. They have a bunch of different sizes and styles so choose the size and style to suit your piece of furniture and your style. You will need a drill or a strong arm and a screwdriver. For this piece, I needed 4 brackets (under $2 each) and 4 legs (also under $2 each). Note: only 3 are pictured but I obviously needed 4. *winks*

Next, you’ll simply screw the metal plates on the bottom of your piece.

Then, the leg screws into the metal plate and that’s it!
All done! Now, I’m sure you know I’m not a fan of faux wood laminate furniture so I painted it. There’s an excellent tutorial for painting laminate here..

Here’s a close up of the legs. I love the added height and since the bookshelf was going in such a small space, the legs make it look less heavy in the room. I love how it turned out.

Told ya you could do it! Check out the full post for baby’s nursery nook here.
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Jana@Transformations From the Heart
    March 5, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Adding the legs sure made the bookcase look so much better and suited for the space.
    I have an old 1960’s dresser sitting out in the shop to repaint. I’ve been putting off the job as it looks so, well…60’ish. Each time I look at it, I think it needs legs for added height and also to bring it the 2000 era. Now all I need to do is to get some legs and brackets at Lowe’s.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street
    March 5, 2013 at 3:55 pm

The legs make such a huge difference. Great job!

Jenny

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    March 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Adding those legs make SUCH a difference…love it!!

Michele
    March 5, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Where did you get the legs?

Leslie Stewart
    March 6, 2013 at 12:39 am

Great idea! Thanks for sharing this quick and easy update!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

Susan Jackson
    March 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm

This is a fantastic idea. Will need to try this on a bookshelf I have in my son’s room. Thanks for sharing. Susan @ throughmyporchwindow.blogspot.com

Foragli SEO
    March 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

Beautifully Post, Very nice
    Nice furniture is also available for your home at forgali.com

Carl
    March 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I love placing legs on my cabinets and everyone else finds it weird. I guess I have someone like you who supports me with my habit. Haha! You have an easier process in adding legs to that cabinet and I guess I’ll try using metal brackets for my next project. 🙂

< Carl Patten >

modular office furniture
    March 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

It is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your excellent post here. I like that very much. Office Furniture

Jamie -Better With Age
    March 25, 2013 at 5:06 am

So sweet! What a great idea 😉 I love how you styled the room 😉
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Wing Chairs
    May 3, 2013 at 6:21 am

Hmm.. i love such kind of DIY projects..!

Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-Stairs
    August 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I’m planning to build a little bench later this year, and I found some retro legs to use. =D Now I have a better idea of how to attach it to the bench base! =D Thank you; this was so helpful!
    Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-Stairs recently posted…Squared2 Dining Chair x2My Profile

skin tightening
    October 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Do it yourself projects are great. I sear my kids learn more from building furniture than from school!

Classy Clutter's BEST of 2013
    December 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm

[…] How to add legs to furniture […]

Jackie
    June 24, 2014 at 9:45 am

Hello, where do you purchase the legs from?

springfield office supplies
    August 12, 2014 at 1:55 am

wow, such a adorable article this is! I really liked it and the ideas that are mentioned above.Thanks a ton.

Deb
    August 29, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Lovely! But…if the cabinet/bookshelf is heavy, or if you’re going to put heavy things on it, then putting the legs only on the floor/lowest shelf of the piece could result in the bottom shelf ripping out of the cabinet. Depends on how the bottom joints are made. Your photos show particleboard, which has very little integrity. I’d reinforce the bottom in some way, shim if necessary (because you can see that the sides project just a tiny bit below the bottom), and make sure that 3 of the bracket screws are in (or underneath) the sides.

I’m planning to add legs to what I think is a solid wood cabinet, and I haven’t looked at the construction details yet, but I’m considering building a simple frame of 1×4 held together with mending plates — like we used to do in high school stage crew to build flats — maybe with a middle cross-piece if I think the floor might sag.

Any updates? Had any problems with this?

Thanks. The description is really helpful.

Heidi
    June 20, 2016 at 2:23 pm

DiD the legs come with the screws in them? If not how do you screw then in?

Grainne Sehring
    September 19, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Yes the legs do come with screws already in them.