Chalk Paint Desk and Chair Makeover

photo

Last week, I showed you how to remove veneer from wood furniture on this desk.

I have been looking for a desk for basically forever and I was super excited to find this one on craigslist. The ad was by a family that lived like 45 minutes away but they met me half way to pick it up! Yay!
This is how it looked when I got it home. It came with a matching chair too!
I made some DIY chalk paint in Glidden antique beige. I painted it and distressed it with a fine grit sanding block.

Then, I used Minwax paste finishing wax for the first time and I must say, I’m in love with how easy it is to use and how smooth and soft the finish is. Seriously, I’m shocked it took me so long to try out wax! This was also my 2nd time using chalk paint and let’s just say skipping the sanding and priming step is awesome! I’m hooked!

I got the knobs from Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off. I love crystal knobs and these ones had the antique bronze applique and decorative screw so I knew they’d be perfect!

The detail on this piece is just perfect! TheΒ carvedΒ appliques and the legs drew me in.
For the chair, I painted it with DIY Chalk Paint Recipe using GliddenOlivewood and finished it withMinwax Paste Finishing wax.

I really like the look of the mismatched paint but matching style. I also picked up this French Script fabric from Hobby Lobby. I reupholstered it using this method and reattached the seat cushion.

I’ve been itching to do some furniture lately and this really hit the spot! I’ve now learned that my furniture painting doesn’t have to stop because it’s freezing outside… just gotta hand paint with chalk paint! *winks*
Have you tried a DIY Chalk paint recipe yet? What about waxing? Are you a fan?
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Color-Block
    January 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm

really cute….
    kisses

Jenna
    January 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

That is so cute! I’ve done both homemade and Annie Sloan chalk paint and prefer the ASCP. I don’t love her wax, however, it can be really streaky. So nice to hear about the Miniwax. Great job

Bronwyn
    January 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm

What a gorgeous desk!! I like how the paint treatment brings out all of the textured details. Well done!

Wendy
    January 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I love it! DIY chalk paint is the only thing I use! It is so much easier to use! What is your recipe?

Jen
    January 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

LOVE all the detail on the desk. And great job on the transformation!

Something Nice and Pretty
    January 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

That is one beautiful desk, love the two colors that you used! I’ve used both, the ASCP and the homemade and like them both. The ASCP is smoother though!

Jen
    January 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Mallory! Its gorgeous!!!! Love it so much. I’m glad you tried the minwax. I’ve wanted try it on a table and now maybe I will! You’re such an inspiration!!

Gretchen
    January 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm

It looks great! I’ve used homemade chalk paint quite a bit lately, and I like it….I kind of hate using wax, though! I do it, but I don’t like it πŸ™‚

carol jane
    January 23, 2013 at 12:21 am

Why do you need to use a wax on painted furniture? Is it for protective purposes? Just wondering. I never used it before.The desk is beautiful. Why do people give this stuff away?

thelittleredowl.com
    January 23, 2013 at 12:42 am

Such a great makeover! The desk and chair look awesome!

Karen Smithson
    January 23, 2013 at 3:01 am

Thank you for sharing your chalk paint recipe. I have used it on two items at a fraction the cost. I love the antique white color.

Jess @ Spool and Spoon
    January 23, 2013 at 3:05 am

That looks AMAZING. What recipe did YOU use for the chalk paint? I love how it turned out… I think my favorite part is the different colors you used. Genius!

Shabby chic Sandy
    January 23, 2013 at 6:21 am

Great project!! Love those knobs πŸ™‚

Danee
    January 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Isn’t it amazing how that desk went from looking garish and hideous to looking regal…with simply adding paint

Vicki
      October 10, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I think it was beautiful before with the old wood. The white chalk is cute, but I prefer the authentic. To each her own! I love the knobs, though!

October 10, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I loved the wood too but it was veneer and in really really awful shape. Peeling and chipping everywhere! I love the white too so I’m glad I was able to give it another life when the previous owners wanted to get rid of it. Thanks for stopping by!

Crystelle Boutique
    January 26, 2013 at 6:24 am

Oh wow! This turned out so gorgeous…
    And those drawer pulls are super cute… What a great find!

hugs x
    Crystelle

Jedi Craft Girl
    January 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm

That turned out beautiful!! I also am a huge fan of Minwax Finishing wax – I use it on all my projects!!

Vintage Street Designs
    January 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Absolutely stunning makeover!!! LOVE it! You did a fabulous job!!! Blessings ~ Judy

Ramesh Nigam
    March 8, 2013 at 7:17 am

Beautiful Look for desk and chairs with nice makeover.

lauren @ West Furniture Revival
    March 11, 2013 at 11:44 pm

love the desk makeover it turned out beautiful , i would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,
    lauren

tom johnson
    March 22, 2013 at 10:13 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

tom johnson
    March 22, 2013 at 10:16 am

what a creativity! really great work.looking amazing…….

Harriey Shawn
    April 5, 2013 at 10:29 am

Thanks for sharing Very classic and unique chairs design.

Jonthan
    April 18, 2013 at 6:35 am

It is look like a old furniture but is really very nice chairs and table.

Michelle R
    May 3, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Hey Mallory!

I love how the desk turned out! It looks great and completely different! We did something similar to an old desk. It kind of looked like yours at first but we went with a more funky orange color. Check it out: http://www.homeownershiptips.com/2013/05/02/how-to-refinish-repaint-a-desk/.

Best,

Michelle
    Editor of HomeownershipTips.com

LYNDSEY
    April 12, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hey, just curious… did you only remove the top veneer? or did you remove the veneer from the drawers too? How did you do that? Are you allowed to paint over veneer?

Carrie
    July 6, 2014 at 11:39 am

Amazing, stupendous, love it!

thinkdammit
    July 9, 2014 at 9:31 am

Amazing transformation! Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

Lauren
    September 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Gorgeous!!! And I LOVE the drawer pulls! Came across this blog while googling “how to remove veneer”. I read that you make your own chalk paint. I’m curious. Can you post the recipe here? Also, in case you’ve never tried it, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is my absolute favorite chalk paint! Although it’s only available in certain colors, there are lots & lots of different color combination recipes to create your own color. A quart is $38, but a sample is $13. So, if you wanted a color combo that required 3 colors, I usually buy the quart for the main color, and sample size colors for the other colors in the combo. And you can always use your leftover colors on other projects. Just make sure to mix the combination in a separate container instead of your quart can, so you still have 3 separate Colors left over instead of just your custom color leftover. As far as the AS Wax goes, even with clear wax, I always apply with lint free cloth and rub in the direction of the wood grain. Even though it’s clear, if you go with the grain, you shouldn’t ever see streaks. I NEVER apply in a circular motion! As far as the AS dark wax, it’s best to apply with an AS wax brush. If using dark, it’s well worth the money. Start with VERY LITTLE on TIP of wax brush, & again, go with the grain. Let sit for about 10 seconds, then wipe. Add more if you desire. But if you leave the dark wax on longer than about 10 secs, it will dry exactly how it looks painted on. The key is to always apply dark wax in small areas at a time with very little wax on brush, and wipe before going on to the next section. IF you unintentionally have more dark wax on your piece than you want, the great thing about ANNIE SLOAN’s wax is, you can just add a little more clear wax to the darker area, & it almost acts as an eraser for the dark wax. You can do this on the entire piece, or just a section that’s too dark. Then, reapply dark wax again to your liking. You really CANNOT mess up with ANNIE SLOAN’s paints & waxes!!! Would love to try your homemade paint, but after experimenting with several different brands, all I will use now, & have for awhile now, is the Annie Sloan. Good luck with future painting! I’ve enjoyed seeing the pieces you’ve done so far!
    Lauren

How To Wax Chalk Painted Furniture | Furniture | Home Furnishing
    October 11, 2014 at 9:15 pm

[…] Chalk Paint Desk and Chair Makeover Classy Clutter source […]

Susan
    October 9, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Beautiful. What did you do to the top after the veneer was removed?

Bonnie
    March 14, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Sad… am I the only human being left who loves natural wood versus paint? It was so gorgeous before. With the veneer off I would have painted only the top.

March 14, 2016 at 3:29 pm

We love natural wood too! In this case we loved the furniture piece but it needed a remodel! Thanks for stopping by!

Russ MacDonald
    March 24, 2016 at 10:53 am

I’ve bought a used otum from a GoodWill store and I only paid 3 dollars for it and had taken off the old fake tin legs. I then went to my hard ware store,
    and bought 4 solid wood legs about 6″s each and had stained all 4 with a dark cherry stain and had put them on the otum…. NOW the otum looks very exciting and expensive and I didn’t mind buying the legs for them either.

JUDI
    May 23, 2016 at 8:36 pm

What is your recipe for chalk paint? This piece is gorgeous! I’m purchasing a piece very similar but without the beautiful carvings on the 1st. With alot of luck I hope it turns out half as nice! Did you use clear wax?

jenn
    June 21, 2016 at 12:47 pm

beautiful! what is your chalk paint recipe? i have never maid homemade and would love to!