How to clean microfiber with professional results

Today my friends, I’m going to teach you how I saved a boat load of money by cleaning my own sofa! This method I have used for years now that I have had two microfiber sofas. I learned this method originally when my cute little toddler decided to take an ink pen to my couch cushions back in 2009. I knew alcohol takes out ink pen so I started by using a baby wipe and some hairspray. It worked alright but I needed more alcohol, so I tried rubbing alcohol and it worked like a charm.
Well, fast forward 2 1/2 years and that little toddler isn’t quite as little. He did it again!!! On my sofa that is less than a year old! BAH!!! He got a big fat time out after this one. Mommy was not happy.

I used the alcohol again and spot cleaned the sofa but really didn’t try that hard. It came out okay but not great.  Then, I decided to do some research and figure out what tools to use with the alcohol to get the best results! Then, two months later, my kids’Z sippy cups have absolutely destroyed several sections of the sofa, mainly the arm rests and main cushions.

I’m only showing you this small section out of respect for myself. haha! I have some dignity people! 🙂 Here’s what I did to save my poor little sofa’s life!
You will need:
  • Rubbing alcohol and a spray bottle
  • White or very light sponges – I actually found sponges the exact same color as my couch. I say this to avoid any color transfer while scrubbing.
  • A white bristle scrub brush
First, use your spray bottle and saturate one section at a time with the rubbing alcohol.

Take your dry sponge and scrub scrub scrub! Put some muscle into and scrub vigorously. You will see the dirt, oil and grime start to come off on your sponge. I had the best results when I got it pretty wet then scrubbed really hard.
As you can see, this was ink pen that was on the sofa for about 2 months and it came out completely.
When the sofa is dry, take the dry white bristle brush and rub the sofa in a circular motion. This re-fluffs the fibers and makes it feel new again!

YAY!! Doesn’t it look brand new???

I’m so proud of my scrubbing and my new “no sippy cups on the couch” policy is in full effect!
If you have microfiber in your home or car, ! You’ll be happy you did. If not for you, share it with your dear friend with the microfiber and the toddlers! She’ll thank you later! 🙂
How to clean microfiber! This makes your sofa look brand new! | www.classyclutter.net

Need more cleaning tips!? Check out how to clean your microwave in 5 minutes

how to freshen your towels and get rid of that mildew stink!

Mallory Bombshell Sig

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Andrea @ Decorating Cents
    August 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Wow, I’ll definitely have to keep this in mind.

Jess @ Spool and Spoon
    August 28, 2012 at 12:33 am

This is a great tip! Thanks so much for sharing. We’ve had a throw on our couch for over a month covering up a weird splotchy stain that appeared out of no where. I’m trying this as soon as I get home from work tomorrow afternoon!

Jasanna Czellar
    August 28, 2012 at 2:40 am

Thanks!! I’ll have to try this on my chairs! 🙂

Darija
    August 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I may be easy to impress, but I am stunned! I had no idea that was possible and I’m always afraid of making spots worse/more ground in so I don’t always even try. Nice job.

♥ Sonny ♥
    August 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Glad you were able to get all that out..

thanks for the tips

Foy Update
    August 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Awesome! We too have a microfiber couch and a baby that is very talented at spitting up. I’ve been spot cleaning with just a rag and water, but this looks like it would actually do more than just spread the goo around.

We’d love to have you participate in our new Eat Make Grow blog hop:

We are always looking for bloggers with great content!

Foy

Mel
    September 1, 2012 at 1:52 am

Came up really well, do you think this would work on clothing as well? I have pants with a stain that wouldn’t come out in the wash

Steph
    September 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm

So we have the same exact couch. Purchased pre-children and now we have 3. Every time I look at its flithiness I wonder what I was thinking when we bought it. Can’t wait to try your cleaning method!

Cristina
    September 3, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Thank you so much! I have an identical couch (just a different color) and my couch arms are looking FAR from new. I’m definitely going to give this a try!

69588a24-f6a6-11e1-af5b-000bcdca4d7a
    September 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wow!!..I’m pinning this & also making a copy of your directions..I have the same color couch & have 2 grandsons & 2 dogs..Bless you for your research & sharing it with us!!

Karen

Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
    September 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Amazing! I’m impressed :o)

Thanks for linking up with us @ Keep Calm & Link Up this weekend! We’re thrilled you chose to party with us :o)

Helen
    September 11, 2012 at 2:41 am

So awesome! We have a microfiber rocker in my daughters room and it looks horrible! This is on my to-do list….THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Kristin
    September 17, 2012 at 2:04 am

OH MY GOSH! I soooo needed this in my life! With a two year old and sippy cups and a mechanic husband, my couches and recliner are in a sad state! Thanks for sharing!

A Stone Gatherer
    September 17, 2012 at 10:51 am

I just got a micro fiber couch off of craigslist that we love. One of my pooches (I think) looks like they peed on it while I was in the shower. Does this work on wet pee stains too? Do you have any way to get the smell neutralize so they don’t keep peeing there???

Rhonda
    October 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Pinned this immediately because I just got a new microfiber sleeper sofa! Thanks so much!

Visiting from TT&J… Rhonda @ home.made.

Ruth
    October 14, 2012 at 12:44 am

Your couch turned out beautifully. I need to do this to mine. It has seen better days. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa@TheHappierHomemaker
    January 12, 2013 at 3:05 am

Fan-freakin-tastic! I love, love, love your step-by-step pictures. I have a four year old microfiber couch that is so stained it’s embarrassing (and banished to a never-visited room!) Thanks so much for this-I’m going to try it this weekend! Pinning! Oh, and visitng from TT&J!

notyet100
    January 15, 2013 at 1:18 am

Thanks ,..formsharingnthis,..

Kelly DeMerritt
    May 16, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I tried the rubbing alcohol method on our microfiber couch and it didn’t work at all. Our sofa had similar marks like yours did (mystery spots that sort of look like water stains). Any suggestions??

Thanks!

-Kelly

May 16, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Oh no! Make sure you saturate it pretty well and scrub hard with the sponge. The alcohol will evaporate pretty quickly. I was able to get all the stains off of ours. I just gave this method to a friend after her son colored on the sofa with ink pen and it worked really well for her as well. Hope that helps!

Stephanie
    May 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Will this work for other colours?

Gloria Schimmel
    July 11, 2014 at 9:38 am

Do you think this method works on water stains? We got caught in a rain storm, ran to the truck, but not before getting soaked. Where we sat, left water rings. I don’t know where to start.

July 11, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi Gloria! YES! It should work! It worked on water and milk stains for us from the kids’ sippy cups! Make sure to get it pretty damp with the rubbing alcohol and scrub until you no longer see the water spot outline(s).

elizabeth
    August 7, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Will this work on a regular fabric couch?

web site
    January 7, 2015 at 10:17 am

Amazing ideas! Especially for the upholstery of the furniture in the living room where most of the people spend there a lot of time. Thanks!

Trish
    January 18, 2015 at 4:11 pm

OMGee!! I have those exact sofas, a 3yr old and stains that look exactly like that! I was JUST trying to clean them yesterday with no luck! I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for posting!

Millisa Thomason
    February 5, 2015 at 6:41 pm

What about if it is brown? Will the alcohol do anything to the color?

February 6, 2015 at 7:36 pm

It shouldn’t matter what color it is. I would use a tan sponge and test in an inconspicuous area first like the back of the sofa or the back side of a cushion but it should be no problem! xoxo

tinkerbell
        September 15, 2016 at 10:59 am

Hi, this works so great for my couch and recliners! just wondering how to keep it that way?

25+ must-do Spring Cleaning Tasks & Free Printables - Ask Anna
    March 16, 2015 at 7:01 am

[…] How to Clean Microfiber with Professional Results by Classy Clutter  […]

30 Day Spring Cleaning Challenge
    March 17, 2015 at 5:34 pm

[…] 18: Wash sofa seats, throw pillows, and […]

Marsha Evens
    March 27, 2015 at 10:17 am

Wow! The results look incredible! I have a few stains on the upholstery of my sofa and I don’t know how to clean them. Thank you for sharing these easy and affordable solutions!

ideascute » Blog Archive » How to clean microfiber with professional results
    April 2, 2015 at 2:33 pm

[…] Today my friends, I’m going to teach you how I saved a boat load of money by cleaning my own sofa! This method I have used for years now that I have had two microfiber sofas.instructions here > classyclutter.net […]

Michelle
    May 2, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Before I cleaned my microfiber couch. I went to Walmart and bought a bag of “filling” from the craft section. Unzipped the cushions and then followed your cleaning instructions. Looks like the day I bought it!

Carlota
    July 30, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Very good tutorial !! I love how you work out. Thanks for sharing http://goodvinilos.com

Estelle Turner
    October 29, 2015 at 6:01 am

Fantastic tips! My daughter did the same thing to our sofa. She have decided that she can write on it! This made me mad. I couldn`t clean it with detergent. I am so glad that I have found your article. Now I am going to try your method. Thank you for sharing it! Best regards!

Andrew
    December 4, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Mike
    December 12, 2015 at 5:28 am

This one fantastic tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to write it down and share it the community.
    Mike recently posted…How to Clean Your Home – The Green WayMy Profile

Cindy
    July 7, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I love this trick! I have a microfiber sofa with stains that need to be cleaned. My sofa tags say that it can only be dry cleaned. Do you think this method will work in that case?

Eva
    July 25, 2016 at 9:49 am

Else you can try this How to Clean Suede/Microfiber Couch/Sofa

Serena
    November 17, 2016 at 5:28 am

Could you please write a comprehensive guide on how to clean rustic looking rugs next time. I really loved how thorough this one is and would like to know if there’s a way to clean rustic rugs, but couldn’t find anything noteworthy online.

MrsFitz
    December 2, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Works like a charm! My 8 year old sofa looked bad. I used those “car buffing” white cloths & the rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. The cloths got embarrassingly filthy & the couch looks GREAT! I can’t believe the difference. The smell goes away fast too, I was worried about my couch smelling bad but nope. TRY THIS!

Sophie
    February 22, 2017 at 1:34 am

Worked as magic for me! My five-year-old loves to do her art on the sofa and after each new picture, there are new colorful marks too. Your recipe was the best I’ve found recently, and it did a great work on my sofa. \thanks for sharing your experience 🙂

Cheryl Knowles
    April 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for all the details. Microfiber couch with a plain white cloth, pressing the cloth down and lifting straight up rather than rubbing. To get rid of stains and watermarks, fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol, spritz the stain lightly and rub with a white or natural-colored sponge.
    Cheryl Knowles recently posted…Responsible to environmentMy Profile