DIY Jewelry cleaner (fave projects repost)

This is a super simple, super awesome little recipe that I shared right when I first started my blog, so maybe you missed it! It has been pretty popular on pinterest lately. The best thing about this recipe is that it takes only 2 ingredients that you likely already have! Baking soda and water! EASY! It’s absolutely fool-proof and works like magic on your jewelry. Promise! Hope you enjoy this little repost and feel free to pin it and share it with your friends. They’ll thank you for it.

Okay… so I was unpacking and going through some of my jewelry … AND…. I found that all of my inexpensive jewelry that has been sitting in my jewelry box was tarnished and yucky and dirty! I forgot I even had some of it! So… I began a search for some kind of homemade jewelry cleaner so I didn’t have to go buy some! I stumbled upon this jewelry cleaner recipe using only boiling water and baking soda so I thought WTH I’ll try it…. AND…. It was like magic! Even my yucky, tarnished CTR ring that I LOVE was sparkly clean and looked brand new! It made me very happy so I thought I’d share my find! Here’s the recipe below! It also has worked wonders on my wedding ring which is white gold.

Here’s how you do it:

1. Line a glass bowl with aluminum foil, shiny side facing outward.
2. Place the jewelry you want to clean in the bowl making sure
it’s touching the foil.
3. Cover the jewelry with baking soda – just enough so that you can’t see it.
4. Add boiling water – enough to immerse the jewelry.
5. Let soak for 3 to 5 minutes ( or less if it’s not really dirty).
6. Use tongs or a fork to lift out the jewelry (you don’t want to get burned) and rise under cold water. And voila! You’ve got sparkling jewelry!If the jewelry is very dirty or very tarnished – like silver or gold – then you may need to repeat the process so just add a little more baking soda and more boiling water – but make sure it’s boiling, that’s key!  You can also use a toothbrush to get in all the nooks and crannies of detailed jewelry.This method works great on sterling, silver, gold, costume jewelry metals.. But do be careful if you’ve got a lot crystals glued into a setting and limit soaking to no more than 90 seconds – or you might melt the glue. Also, don’t immerse natural pearls in this solution – it’s too caustic. It is however, fine for most gemstones and works wonders on cubic zirconia! And in case you’re wondering ….it also works fab for cleaning silverware, silver frames or any silver home decor!

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

A Bit of Brooklyn
    August 4, 2012 at 1:19 am

Great idea! Another fabulous use for baking soda, thanks!

follow me on an adventure of pinterest experiments: http://ipinterest.wordpress.com/
    August 4, 2012 at 5:03 am

I need to do this asap! Thanks so much for the help 🙂

{gabbi.z}
    August 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

So clever! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Heather
    August 8, 2012 at 5:15 am

I think the science part of it only works on the things that are actually silver.
    I think it may just be the hot water cleaning dirt off the mystery costume jewelry metals and the gold. Gold that is 14k or higher shouldn’t tarnish either, if it does, it probably isn’t gold!

Ran
    August 25, 2012 at 7:15 am

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

Jewelry Cleaning and Polishing Products

Tisha Clapp
    September 1, 2012 at 2:12 am

Yea! I had jewelry cleaner on my list to pick up the next time I went to the store – I didn’t even think of making my own. Duh! I’m going to try it now. Thanks!

Judee
    September 11, 2012 at 5:59 am

Sounds easy enough…Great idea..

Negi
    September 21, 2012 at 8:31 am

Blue Jewelry Cleaner

Bobi Jensen
    October 13, 2012 at 4:17 am

I love this!

I’d love to have you link up at my Weekend party!

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion
    October 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

I actually use this, works fantasti!

Amy
    October 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I need to try this! I actually still have some sand stuck in between where my engagement ring and wedding band are soldered together from our beach vacation a few weeks ago…do you think this would help with that? I’d love for you to share it here:

Carson armando
    December 22, 2012 at 5:25 am

Really you provided a very jewelery bristles for women.dissertation assistance | Purchase Dissertation | Pay someone to do your dissertation | Want academic writers | Proposal help online

charlie stefen
    December 22, 2012 at 11:11 am

i love to buy these jewelery and it is a new fashion.copywriting company | seo consultancy

Traditional Urbanite
    December 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for this ultra helpful post. I have more fake jewelry than real, and I was unsure how to clean it. Happy New Year!

Diana

hermes bag outlet
    January 7, 2013 at 8:38 am

Your toy it’s so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at Plus Size Dresses
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

beautiful jewellery
    January 16, 2013 at 4:24 am

wow, so beautiful jewellery, I think you like buying beautiful jewellery very much, of course,I like it too, So
    i open a jewellery online store recently, If you are interested in it, You can load to http://www.vicky-jewellery.com to visit it. Thanks

Danette
    October 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I just did this. Amazing!!!

Buy the Trendy Jewelry
    February 28, 2014 at 2:15 am

Your blog is very helpful for cleaning the jewelry by homemade jewelry cleaner. Thanks a lot for sharing this information with us.