Okay… so I was unpacking and going through some of my jewelry … AND…. I found that all of my inexpensive jewelry that has been sitting in my jewelry box was tarnished and yucky and dirty! I forgot I even had some of it! So… I began a search for some kind of homemade jewelry cleaner so I didn’t have to go buy some! I stumbled upon this jewelry cleaner recipe using only boiling water and baking soda so I thought WTH I’ll try it…. AND…. It was like magic! Even my yucky, tarnished CTR ring that I LOVE was sparkly clean and looked brand new! It made me very happy so I thought I’d share my find! Here’s the recipe below! It also has worked wonders on my wedding ring which is white gold.
Here’s how you do it:
2. Place the jewelry you want to clean in the bowl making sure
it’s touching the foil.
3. Cover the jewelry with baking soda – just enough so that you can’t see it.
4. Add boiling water – enough to immerse the jewelry.
5. Let soak for 3 to 5 minutes ( or less if it’s not really dirty).
6. Use tongs or a fork to lift out the jewelry (you don’t want to get burned) and rise under cold water. And voila! You’ve got sparkling jewelry!If the jewelry is very dirty or very tarnished – like silver or gold – then you may need to repeat the process so just add a little more baking soda and more boiling water – but make sure it’s boiling, that’s key! You can also use a toothbrush to get in all the nooks and crannies of detailed jewelry.
This method works great on sterling, silver, gold, costume jewelry metals.. But do be careful if you’ve got a lot crystals glued into a setting and limit soaking to no more than 90 seconds – or you might melt the glue. Also, don’t immerse natural pearls in this solution – it’s too caustic. It is however, fine for most gemstones and works wonders on cubic zirconia! And in case you’re wondering ….it also works fab for cleaning silverware, silver frames or any silver home decor!
Let's be besties!
Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!
xo, Mallory & Savannah