1-Hour Clutter Cutter

If you’ve got an hour to spare, it’s time to cut it out! Clutter that is! I am a huge advocate of donating, throwing away and consolidating. I do not like to hold onto things I don’t have and it makes me crazy to see piles around my house. Not that I don’t have them, I just don’t like them! πŸ™‚

Here are 5 ways for you to spend the next hour cutting the clutter in your home!

1. Clothes closets: Grab a garbage bag and go through your closet. Grab anything you haven’t worn in the last 6 months and donate it! (Except seasonal items of course!) Remember the golden rule for clutterless closets, one item in, one item out.  Grab that garbage bag and put it in your car to donate it next time you’re running errands.

2. Pantry and Refrigerator: Take 10 minutes and throw out any expired products! Consolidate like items and toss things that have simply been in there too long. I know I have salad dressings in my fridge that we will never eat. I also have a couple bottles of BBQ sauce that can be combined into one jar.

3. Bathroom: Throw out old or unused products. Toothpaste, empty floss, old makeup, etc. Replace your families toothbrushes every 2-3 months or after someone in your family is sick! Restock toilet paper and bath towels. I always like to finish the bathroom off with wiping down the mirrors. It gives the room a “clean” look even if you haven’t scrubbed the room lately.

4. Cleaning cabinet: Tidy up the cleaning cabinet by placing all your cleaning supplies together in a bin and keep your cleaning gloves, sponges, and brushes together. Instead of tossing old cleaning spray bottles, add water to them and store them for cleaning water in your emergency storage. Make sure to label them so they are used properly in the future.

5. Kitchen: Open up your cabinets, donate the items you don’t use. Do you have 2 ice cream scoops? 3 different sets of measuring cups? You don’t need multiples of everything unless you’re a master baker; which I am NOT! πŸ™‚ If you have lids that don’t go to anything, don’t even donate them, recycle them!

Now you know exactly what to do at nap time. Work quickly and efficiently and you will LOVE the results!

Follow us on Facebook here… and on pinterest here and here.

Before you go...

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Kimberly Sminkey
    July 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Great advice Mallory, I am so into thinking big that I can’t seem to just focus on breaking it down into smaller 1 hour tasks… last week I went gung ho and gathered all kinds of stuff around the house to clean and reorganize… unfortunately all of the stuff is now still smack in the middle of the dining room and I cringe everytime I walk by! I lost my gusto I guess… I’ll have to try to break it down into smaller timely tasks!
    Kim

the Sweetest Memory
    July 3, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thanks for the motivation, I had to pull some items out of linen closet for a plumbing fix, and I had meaning to tackle it before. Now, that 1/3 of it is on the floor in my bedroom it is time to go through and purge. I had no idea I had 8 throw rugs in there! I have no idea why! I will take it a little at a time.

HarlowsExclusive
    July 4, 2012 at 2:48 am

Great tips. I’m getting ready to move into a new home soon so I’ve been trying to de-clutter all spaces In my home.

Jessi W
    July 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Great ideas! I’ve got to try it this month. We have sooo much clutter! I’d be thrilled if you’d share this at my current link party: http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/07/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-6/

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin
    July 8, 2012 at 4:19 am

Thank you for the great ideas and motivation! Visiting from I Heart Naptime. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-4.html Wishing you a grand Sunday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

gail@My Repurposed Life
    December 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

great tips! BUT I can’t do all that in on hour! hahahaha

but it’s a start.

gail

Tammy
    January 3, 2013 at 12:03 am

I’ve been putting off cleaning out my closet for a couple of years (or more). Last night after reading this post, I took a couple of boxes to my closet at 11:15 pm and started going through the shoes. I had intended to just go through the shoes but it only took me about 20-25 minutes so I spent the next 40 minutes going through my clothes. I was able to pull out all the clothes that no longer fit, will never fit again, are out of date or that I just don’t wear. In just 1 hour, I had my side of the closet organized and felt so much better. Now to get my husband to do the same thing. I have been putting off this project for so long thinking it would take me at least a full day but I was surprised at how much I got done in just 1 hour. I still need to box up the clothes I pulled out the closet but I am going to do that tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

D
    September 6, 2014 at 9:50 am

To get rid of stuff in your closet, hang all your clothes from the opposite side. When you wear an item, hang it up normally. Then when the season is over,
    You’ll be able to tell what clothes you wore and what you didn’t.

Ryan Scott
    November 27, 2015 at 2:18 am

once you clutter of course you have to declutter f first which s a great ideas! Getting rid of the unused stuff. Of course we want to re-use items and pass them along to people that can benefit from them. This is just a guide to cleaning out your unused items and making more room, which allows for a more organized life. I would be a borderline hoarder if I let myself be! I have to set a few guidelines for myself to flush things out and move on. Have a great day!