Little boys’ Airplane Room Makeover (on a budget)

Boys Room_1
Welcome to my little boys’ room! I still have projects planned for this room but it is definitely at the “done for now” point. Let’s have a look around!

My boys are best buds. Carter is 3 1/2 and Parker is almost 2. Both of them are in love with airplanes! It was an easy “theme” to decide on. Their room has a very tricky layout and angled ceilings so it took some thought to get everything in the “right place”.

This room is absolutely perfect for the boys bedroom/playroom. It’s HUGE so it works well for sleeping and tons and tons of playing. This was originally going to be the Master for my husband and I but I couldn’t justify taking up all of that space for myself when I’m hardly in my room.

I needed my boys to have a place to go crazy and make a mess! ha! Another cool feature is that there are 2 closets and it is the ONLY space upstairs so it is totally secluded from the rest of the house. It’s nice to have all of the toys upstairs! We do have a toy drawer in the living room but when it fills up I just run it upstairs and dump it in the toy box. It’s a great system!

I love “progress” photos! It makes me realize how far the room has really come! You can really see the layout well in the “Before” photo. Those photos were from the house listing we saw when we rented the home! As you can see there is a ton of space and it had great potential for a kids space!

I found their beds (which stack and convert to bunk beds) on Craigslist soon after we moved to New York. They were an absolute steal at $40 for both beds and mattresses. Seriously, how do I find these deals!? I was shocked and my boys love them. I wanted them navy blue after seeing a bunch of adorable navy beds at Pottery Barn, etc.

I made this rustic airplane valance out of two pieces of scrap wood! If anyone’s interested, I can do a tutorial on how to do it. It’s super easy! Β **Update** You can find the tutorial here.

I made these printables to hang above their beds. They are New York state and the state of Arizona with a heart over the city where we lived. These are the two places my boys have lived so it seemed perfect to me.
I made the pillow shams and throw pillows. The vintage airplane fabric came from Hobby Lobby and the red chevron came fromΒ Fabric.com. Β The pillows in the front were made with tan linen and I used freezer paper and fabric paint to make the stencilled airplane and compass.
LΓ©ktuvas means “airplane” in Lithuania. My husband served a mission for our church in Lithuania. I really love the personal family touch. πŸ™‚

This little side table was a roadkill rescue and it was oh so gross orangey wood colored before I gave it a few coats of Krylon’s Dual in Cherry Red. They hardware was sprayed with Oil Rubbed Bronze. I have since picked up an airplane knob and will eventually replace the drawer pull.

That fantastic chair was also a roadkill rescue. All I did was clean ‘er off! I love that old school chair.
Check out how I made my Kids Art Gallery Display here. I have to get new curtain rods for the curtains but I love the striped curtains.
You can see the little play area from this view. There are more toys in the closet but we try to rotate which toys are out to minimize the mess πŸ˜‰
You can see the tutorial on the DIYΒ Book Ledges (see top right) for a $1.00 here!
Here’s my little Parker posing as I snap photos of his room.
DIY Boys Airplane Room
Anyways, I LOVE IT! I’m really happy with how it’s all turned out! What do you think?!
Did you like this post? Consider sharing it on Pinterest!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
    April 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm

it looks amazing, mallory!!!! i actually used that same chevron in my son’s room for curtains (red also!). and he has two maple beds i wasn’t going to paint because everything else is painted, but now i am rethinking- i love these!

Kathy {Pearls in Paradise}
    April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

What a fun room for two brothers to grow up in! I love the color scheme, the furniture, the accessories! Awesome!

Holly Czupich
    April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Please do a tutorial on the rustic airplane valance out of two pieces of scrap wood. I’d love to know how to do it! Thanks!

April 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Excellent job!!! The beds are perfect and who doesn’t love a steal of a deal. It really looks amazing.

Lauren -aCommonersCastle
    April 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I LOVE it SO much! There isn’t one thing I don’t like about it. I think boys rooms have so many great options, and yours is amazing and classic. I hope someday I will have a little man to make a room for. Did I say, I LOVE IT!

Lori E
    April 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm

You have done an amazing job here. The drawer pulls are so clever. I like how you did so many of the pieces yourself.

April 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I really love it!
    Love the colors and the theme!

kelsey bang
    April 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

can i tell you how I am dying at your road kill rescue! i just bought those same bar stools at restoration hardware and lOVE them! they are awesome! what a great job on your kids room! looks great! good idea with the airplanes! way cute!

April 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Wow looks fantastic. Love the blue beds and what a steal you got on them. Great job.

April 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I adore all the personal touches, it’s a perfect little boys room! The beds look amazing painted navy blue! Great work!

April 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm

yes please please please do a tutorial for the airplane valance . . i actually just saw the same thing (it was art work out of wood not a valance) in the pottery barn catalogue and i ripped it out and it’s been hanging in my craft room for inspiration :)it’s soooo cute!!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles
    April 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

It’s absolutely adorable! (The little guy kinda’ steals the show, though.) Looks like the perfect little boys’ room. πŸ™‚

Laura@Elegant Nest
    April 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm

That room is too cute…and your little boy in his shirt and tie is even cuter!!
    Love the airplane valance on the window too!

April 11, 2012 at 4:33 am

Oh goodness, Parker is ADORABLE! And I love the room you’ve created! It’s perfect!

the cape on the corner
    April 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm

that looks fabulous! painting the beds made a huge difference, and i love the little game (that’s what that is, right?) alcove!

April 11, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Yes! YES! on the Tutorial for the Airplane Valance!

April 12, 2012 at 12:51 am

Such a gorgeous room! Your boys must love it πŸ™‚

April 12, 2012 at 3:02 am

Love the blue beds! The whole room looks great!

April 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Wow! Very cool. I love the airplane valence & curtains!

Lauryn Clemmer
    April 13, 2012 at 5:22 am

SO darling! i would LOVE for you to link this post or any other posts you want to my weekend link party http://lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2012/04/spread-love-link-party-6.html it opens at midnight tonight, hope to see you there!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Stefanie's Blissful Happiness
    April 14, 2012 at 4:59 am

I love the airplane above the window! I need to know how you did it! My daughter is in love with airplanes and I would love to see how to make it!

April 15, 2012 at 3:29 am

What a great room. I love how you made it an airplane theme without going way over the top. It is perfect, since it is mature enough for them to grow into! Nice job!

April 15, 2012 at 4:33 am

This is such a cute and classic boys room! I’m also quite partial to navy furniture for boys. Great job!

April 15, 2012 at 10:16 am

Such a fantastic room! I love the wooden window valance especially.

April 16, 2012 at 1:29 am

Wow! Great job! So many things to love!

Ashley C.
    April 16, 2012 at 3:00 am

I LOVE this and would definitely love the valence tutorial – I’m just starting my son’s vintage airplane room and that would go perfectly (it looks like the Pottery Barn version).

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating
    April 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I love your son’s airplane room! I’m in the process of redoing my son’s room as well. Seeing yours all done gives me motivation to finish the last few details. Thanks for the inspiration!

April 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm

So cute! I love the painted furniture! I have been painting some for my little boy’s room too!
    I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at “Pin It and Win It Wednesday” @ http://www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Emily Morgenstern
    April 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm

What a fun boy’s room!! I love all the details!

I featured you today!

Emily@ 52mantels.com

Green Willow Pond
    April 19, 2012 at 4:08 am

Awesome! I know how much work went into this because I redid my son’s much smaller room a couple of summers ago. I blogged about it here:

I love the stenciled pillows and that school chair! I’d love to find one of those to put in my craft room! I found you via HOH.

Have a lovely week!

April 19, 2012 at 4:55 am

Amazing. Smitten with the window treatments. I love it and would love if you linked it up on my link party.

I can’t wait to see what you create next.

April 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I am in love with this room. I find myself wishing I had boys when I look at your pics. Just adorable. I would love if you stopped by to link it up to my party happening NOW! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

April 20, 2012 at 1:40 am

Whoa!!! I love STRIPES, I love BLUE, I love RED, I love airplanes!! HOW did you make the compass rose pillow??? Love this. (I got here from UTT&D)

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com
    April 21, 2012 at 4:31 am

SUPER CUTE! I have a boys room that i totally need to work on…thanks for the inspiration! XO, Aimee

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com
    April 21, 2012 at 4:32 am

Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

DIY Show Off
    April 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm

What a super sweet room for your little guys, Mallory! You did an awesome job on the details! Love it all of the DIY and love you put into this room! I’m going to include a link back in tomorrow’s highlights. πŸ˜‰

April 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm

What an amazing room! Did you make the striped curtains or buy them? I love all the fun details in the room.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife
    April 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Mallory – it is fantastic. what a great makeover. and don’t you just love that you have done all of it yourself with so much love for your boys rather than just going out to buy everything. what a wonderful room for your boys to share and play in. i love it
    cheers Fiona

Heather Woyak
    April 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I love it! It looks great! My boys’ have an airplane room, too! Love your airplane valance board art – very nice πŸ™‚

May 7, 2012 at 11:43 am

what lucky boys, the room is wonderful!

Katie Olthoff
    May 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm

What an awesome room! (and sweet little boy!)

May 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

you did a lot of work on….beautiful room…look just perfect..like it.
    Roman shades concord, ca

A Lived in Home
    July 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

What a darling space. Love the beds and night stand painted! YOu made this space amazing! What a precious little boy too! He’s very lucky to have that room!

Stephanie R.
    September 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm

WOW! This turned out ADORABLE! I love the colors that you chose.

September 16, 2012 at 8:43 am

This is an amazing room! One that can grow with them as well. Fantastic!

Kathryn Ferrie
    October 8, 2012 at 2:35 am

I love the bed colour. Really Cute!

Vel Criste
    October 17, 2012 at 3:13 am

this is an awesome bedroom!!!! Perfect!

November 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This is absolutely incredible! My son is in a phase (will it be just a phase?) where he is OBSESSED with airplanes. The valance is especially of interest to me. Thank you for posting the tutorial. It looks like so much thought work and love went into creating this room for your boys!

Emily Thompson
    December 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

super cute!!! I think I have seen your airplane tutorial around before, but just seeing the room now :o) I came over from Six Sisters Stuff to invite you to sign up to win one of three photo books up for grabs. come on over and enter the giveaway!!!

January 6, 2013 at 11:13 am

Ok so I have been thinking, planning, dreaming of a room and I had almost the exact same plan going on in my head for ever & it’s amazing that days before we start the “work” I finally find your blog!!!! You were so generous to share w us your well thought out room & cover ALL the key points I imagined & bless me w a visual!!! And I am a NY-er too!! This couldn’t have been anymore perfect!!! And did I mention my boys will also be sharing a room w that awkward pitched ceiling. Thank you for such a wonderful preview of my idea & lending me some of yours. πŸ™‚ my question though is the maps, any recommendations on favorites? I am using places visited as our theme but I haven’t had much luck finding any maps as lovely as the ones you used. Thanks. Melissa hydrenna@yahoo.com hope you guys are warm heard upstate was hit hard by much snow.

Maggie Muggins
    March 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This room is adorable. I love the valance and pillows and all the finishing touches.

March 6, 2013 at 4:14 pm

You did an amazing job on this room, what lucky boys you have!

Krista thehappyhousie
    March 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Fabulous@ What an adorable shared space! I love the personal and handmade touches – it makes the room feel thought about and collected rather than purchased from a catalogue. You did an amazing job!
    Krista @thehappyhousie.com

Dianne Grover
    April 12, 2013 at 3:59 am

What a fun room! With a little hint of realism using the rustic plane design and that wonderful looking cabinet! It looks nice that you incorporated a bit of a rustic look into it, completing the air force experience with your closets Bergen (for instance) as I see it. It is an absolute beauty!

September 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I love how this room turned out! I really love the striped curtains and have been looking everywhere for them. Did you make them? Do you know where I can find some?

September 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

Hi Jenny! I made them using cream and navy black out curtains from walmart! All I did was cut them into strips and sew them together! Easy peasy! Thanks for stopping by!

September 27, 2013 at 10:41 am

Love this room! I have three boys and the younger two share. I have old beds that were my husbands that I want to paint and I think the blue you selected is PERFECT. Mind sharing the color/finish? Thanks and GREAT work!

Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body
    January 3, 2014 at 7:34 pm

This is SUCH a cute boys room! I love the airplane valance. Very creative! Visiting from the Link Party Palooza party πŸ™‚

Sarah J
    October 1, 2014 at 12:36 pm

My husband is Lithuanian, so it was the pillow that drew me to your site. I must have one of those! My son will love it! I plan on doing the valance too. So cute!

October 1, 2014 at 10:03 pm

No way!!! So cool! My husband lived there for 2 years and speaks Lithuanian fluently! That is so cool! Thanks for stopping by!

November 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm

This room is adorable. I am getting ready to paint my son’s bed navy also…could you tell me what paint color you used? Thanks so much!