Homemade Chalk Paint

DSC_0048 (1)
Ever Since I saw Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I fell in love but I did not love the price tag! I have been on the look out for a recipe for the chalky paint. My recipe is a little different from the ones I found.
Here is my recipe:
  • 1 Cup of flat latex paint
  • 1 Tablespoon of unsanded grout
  • water (add this the 2nd try)
With this chalk paint there is no prep work. I simply brushed on the paint with a plain paint brush. The first time I tried this it was kind of a mess! The paint was VERY gritty and hard to work with. The second time I tried the chalk paint I mixed a little bit of water with the grout and then added the mixture to paint!  The result was SOOOO much better! The paint was very smooth but don’t get me wrong the paint was thick but it was way better.
The dresser I used my homemade chalk on is a great piece that I bought from my aunt. It is the perfect dresser to help finish Millie’s room.

I used Oriental Silk by Behr for the base of the dresser and then I used Cream Rose by Behr for the drawers.

What I love about the Chalk paint is that when you distress, the paint has a very soft and dusty. It gives the look of perfectly “petinaed” piece of furniture.

I used my sanding to buff around the edges then to finished off the dresser I used a rag and polished on Howard citrus-shield paste wax that I found at Home Depot.
I totally love it!!! I will use my DIY chalk paint again! The soft pink and creamy white is a perfect match for this piece!
What do you think? Do you like the two toned look?
Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Between Blue and Yellow
    February 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm

So cute! I did the same thing, but will have to try mixing it with water first.

Ashley
    February 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Love it!! Do you have to use flat paint? I have some egg shell colors that I already have at home that I would love to do this to. I love the color combo on this piece. Great job!

yookintryta
      February 7, 2014 at 12:11 am

I haven’t used a homemade chalk paint recipe, but i did work in the paint department at a major big box chain so i know a bit about paint. the look of chalk paint is a very flat (matte) finish, finishing with was will protect your finish and give depth to the nooks and crannies. Other sheens of paint- Eggshell, enamel etc., are glossier finishes, scrubbable and wouldn’t’ necessarily require a wax or clear coat to protect the finish. These would work as far as consistency, and application, but the final look of chalk paint will not be achieved due to the glossier (shinier), more modern finish these paints will result in, defeating the purpose of replicating the old fashioned look that makes chalk paint so popular and vintage looking. Flat paint gives the “chalky” texture that is the desired effect. Love this and will be trying it myself. nothing paintable is safe in my house!

Allyson
    February 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This is so pretty! I love the colors on that dresser!

Allyson

Jen
    February 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I Love this!
    I am redoing a chunky 3 drawer dresser for baby #3 which will also pair as a changing stand.
    I think I am going to do a soft grey(but still really haven’t decided, that’s the hard part)

Jen
    February 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm

ohhh.. Savannah, this is so pretty! I LOVE that dresser!

Style Sisters
    February 17, 2012 at 6:19 am

What a fun and unique dresser…I love the pink and white combo! I love the look!!

Karin

Marisa
    February 17, 2012 at 7:08 am

Very pretty. I have the same question. Do you have to use a flat latex paint?

Sunday
    February 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I found you at Miss Mustard Seed FF, I can not wait to try the chalk paint, I have a side table read
    y and waitng! I’m a new linky follower, would love if you followed back. This piece is simply adorable!!

hibiscuschica
    February 17, 2012 at 6:16 pm

LOVE IT!! my first experiment with the homemade chalk paint did not work out to well, but seeing this, I might give it a go again.

Good Time Charlie
    February 18, 2012 at 1:20 am

It turned out just gorgeous. I love it, esp. the pale pink! Great work.

Sandy@Life Began In A Garden
    February 19, 2012 at 1:29 am

Very pretty! I have used my own chalk paint mixture too, I used plaster of Paris, I was pleased with the result.

Copycat Queen
    February 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’ve used plaster of paris too – on furniture and am now using it on blocks I’m painting for my Etsy store. I love the look! Your piece is gorgeous! I love the two toned and the colors you chose. Furniture painting is very addictive to me – I think I’ll be doing a lot of it when the weather gets warmer!!

Michele
    February 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I love, love the pink dresser, but tell me where you found the pink metal heart on the dresser! Sooo cute !

The Pink Giraffe
    February 24, 2012 at 3:16 am

Adorable dresser. I had no idea you could make your own chalk paint. Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
    February 24, 2012 at 3:18 am

it’s beautiful! i looove the colors you used! i made chalk paint with plaster of paris and that worked well, too! 🙂

Worn Cotton
    February 24, 2012 at 3:59 am

Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed-and glad I did! Cute dresser. Turned out lovely!

3 Men and a Babe
    February 24, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I did one awhile back that is very similar. You can go to my blog at http://www.tresmenandababe.blogspot.com and look at the Ugly Duckling. Yours looks awesome.

Counting Your Blessings
    February 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm

It looks great! I add glaze instead of water. Here’s my receipe:

Blessings… Polly

somewhat quirky
    February 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I love the pink and white together. Nice job.

Our Pinteresting Family
    February 27, 2012 at 10:54 am

Beautiful job! I love the recipe you provided for the paint. I’m going to try it asap. 🙂 ~Megan

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
    March 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I just painted a chest with some homemade chalk paint. I used plaster of paris in my mix along with some warm water. Worked like a charm. I love your two colors on your chest. It’s just beautiful now. Following with Mr. Linky now.

Anita
      October 12, 2013 at 10:13 am

what is your receipt for chalk paint using plaster of paris

Candy
    March 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Yes, I love it and I love the color combo. Im enjoying browsing through your past posts, soooo, I’ve just become your newest follower. Please come visit me and maybe you’ll follow back? Thanks. 😎

Candy
    March 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Oh, and I just linked to this post for your chalk paint recipe. If that isn’t okay, just let me know and I’ll remove. I guess I should have asked first, huh?

Betsy @ Anna Nimmity
    May 1, 2012 at 2:22 am

This looks great! Thanks for sharing. I’m pinning this. 🙂

Cherub Cottage
    May 5, 2012 at 2:32 am

OMG it’s beautiful…. I stumbled onto blog today and Your chalk paint recipe seems so easy to make and use… you have inspired me to try it this week. Thank you so much {I just love the pink and white combo}

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs
    June 30, 2012 at 2:24 am

It is beautiful !!! I totally want to try it 🙂

Sheila
    July 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for the tip. I have also been wanting to try chalk paint, but didn’t want to spend the money. This weekend I will try out the recipe and report back.

Libby
    July 17, 2012 at 3:40 am

Your furniture project came out beautifully. I just tried my first chalk paint project and it was so much fun. I’ve not tried adding water. Maybe next time. *Stopping by from tatertots&jello.

littlekbopeep
    July 27, 2012 at 3:24 am

I have the same question about the flat paint. I don’t like flat. I usually get Semi-gloss because glaze tends to work better. When I try to wipe it off of the flat paint, it peels the paint off. So, does this work with other finishes or only flat?

littlekbopeep
      July 27, 2012 at 3:25 am

Oh my email is littlekbopeep@yahoo.com

Anyone know? Feel free to email me….these ladies are surely swamped!!!!

Cristin
      October 9, 2013 at 9:11 am

the flat is what gives it the chalk paint look/feel. Then use a wax to finish

Wendy@Once upon a rose haven
    September 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Love your beautiful dresser! Thank you for sharing your recipe!
    Your newest follower,
    XO
    ~Wendy

Crane Farms
    September 21, 2012 at 2:32 am

This is beautiful!

Vicki
    September 22, 2012 at 2:37 am

I love your tips. You said you need to prime and sand, no matter what method you use.
    I want to try painting furniture for the first time.
    I renoing a house beach cottage style.
    I have a dining room set, but thought I would try a frame first:)
    I thought with Annie Sloan you didn’t need to prime and sand?
    What would you suggest for a newbie?
    Thanks!

Sometimes Twice
    October 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I love how girly it is! I use this same recipe. It works wonders. I painted a table the other day without using chalk paint. I forgot how much more work it is to distress. My arms wanted to fall off!

Vintage Street Designs
    January 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Just lovely!!! You used the perfect color combo for this piece! I’m sure it will be cherished for years to come. I use Plaster of Paris in my recipe but I’d like to try yours and baking soda just so I am better equipped to answer questions that pop up from time to time! HUGS!!!!

Tracy
    August 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I’d love to have you share this or any of your amazing posts at our weekly Super Saturday Link Party. It starts Friday’s at 6pm, hope we see you there!

Tracy

Stephanie
    September 14, 2013 at 12:42 am

Yes! I love the look of chalk paint, but it tends to be out of my budget. I’m so glad to see this post. 🙂

Your dresser is gorgeous. I love that the two-tone is subtle. Very pretty.
    Stephanie recently posted…Making a Kitchen, Part 4 – “Before” PicturesMy Profile

White and Gold Dresser- Master Bedroom PART 1
    June 5, 2014 at 3:18 pm

[…] Homemade Chalk Paint […]

Sylvia/LittleTreasures
    June 28, 2014 at 8:35 am

Thanks so much for sharing this. This is a beautiful refurbished piece. And I love the colors you have chosen. I have so wanted to try Annie Sloans products, but the price and the availablity in our area is impossible. I’ve a few pieces I am anxious to try. I loved the Behr paint I tried a while back, but I like the finish on this so much better. You appeared like magic ! Have a lovely weekend.
    Sylvia/LittleTreasures recently posted…Farm MishapMy Profile

Kathleen
    August 9, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I think it’s divine

Serviced Apartments Guy
    August 13, 2014 at 7:34 am

This looks so amazing! I would love this in my room, thank you for the tutorial!