Tutorial for DIY Stripe Curtains Using Freezer Paper!

I wanted to do try my hand at Painted Striped Curtains! I needed to do 6 panels in total so Measuring out every single curtain seemed like it would take FOREVER! After talking to Mallory about she came up with a great idea… use FREEZER PAPER!
BEST IDEA EVER!
To start this project here is what you will need:
  • I got THESE 98 inch curtains from Ikea  (I love them because they are heavy weight and cheap!)
  •  Latex Paint ( I used about a 1/4 of a gallon for 4 panels)
  • Textile Medium  (I used a 8oz bottle for 4 panels, you can get it at any craft store by the acrylic paint.)
  • Paint roller (don’t use the foam roller, because it does not have great coverage)
  • Freezer Paper
  • Tape Measure
  • Iron
  • Scissors

1. You are going to want to first cut the freezer paper. Lay out your curtain and lay your freezer paper over the curtain to get the length right. Make sure you go a little longer then the curtain so when you iron on  the freezer paper on the whole stripe of the curtain is covered!
After you cut 3 sheets of freezer paper, you will want to fold a sheet in half then cut where your fold is.
Now you should have six 9-inch strips.
2. Now its time to Iron! I set my iron to the cotton setting.
(These measurements are for a 98 inch curtain)
Start at the top of the curtain,
 Lay out the first strip and then iron on.
Measure 9 inches then start the next strip.
Repeat the process until you get to the bottom of the curtain.
3. After all the freezer paper strips are ironed on you are ready for paint!
Note: The paint will soak through the curtain so put paper down before you paint.
4. I added a little bit of textile medium to soften up the latex paint.
The painted stripes were a little stiff but it feels more like outdoor fabric. It was a lot softer then I thought it would be.
5. Start to paint!
 At first I was using a brush for the edges and then the roller for inside of the stripes, but that took a while. Then, I used a roller for the whole stripe and it cut the time in half.  I ended up being able to paint a stripe in about 4 minutes. Make sure you do a good coat of paint. (I had to repaint my first curtain because there were white patches where the paint did not cover well.)
Peel up the freezer paper before the paint dries!
FINISHED!
I am beyond happy with the outcome!
These black and white curtains are for my sister Scarlett!  I will be showing you my curtains soon!
I choose a fun color for my stripes to match my new pillows!
What do you think about using freezer paper?!
Have you used freezer paper for any projects/crafts?

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Between Blue and Yellow
    January 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

great job! and what an awesome idea with the freezer paper~

Megan
    January 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I LOVE those! I might have to try them! 🙂

Jen
    January 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!
    I tried this a couple months ago, but got too frustrated after taking over an hour to draw lines, and then when it started bleeding through i gave up.

Now with these tips i know i can do it.
    Thanks Girly!!!

Maca
    January 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Loooove this tutorial! so easy and the end result is gorgeous 🙂

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain
    January 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Brilliant! I’ve done tons of freezer paper stencils (cutting the shapes out on my electronic cutter) but never thought of using a whole length of it like that. I have plain white curtains hanging in my family room right now, just waiting for inspiriation 🙂

Lori E
    January 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You mean the freezer paper irons on to the fabric and doesn’t bleed? It sticks firmly? Wow. Who would have thought of that? Well Mallory would I guess.
    Great tip.

Classy Clutter
      January 15, 2012 at 3:29 am

haha Lori! You are too funny! Thanks for your sweet comments!!

xo, Mallory

Jamie Lynn
    January 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

This is awesome! I am moving into a new home soon and will try this! Love your blog! Its one I have to read first! Have a great day!
    jamie
    lovelongtime.blogspot.com

Austin and Chelsie
    January 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Ok, this is genious! I will be stealing, yet another, of your projects! 🙂

Emily
    January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

This looks great! Thanks for the tutorial!

Cory and Scarlett Bendixen
    January 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Love my new curtains! And that bc u did them I was able to re do my whole room. And Cory has commented every day how much he lives our room! Happy husband= more projects to be done!

Emily
    January 6, 2012 at 2:34 am

Those are really pretty! And cheap, that’s always a BIG plus.

Jennifer L. Griffin
    January 6, 2012 at 3:00 am

Those are absolutely fantastic! What a time-saver with the freezer paper. Pinning this one for future reference!

janelle
    January 6, 2012 at 3:16 am

Beautiful!! Love the idea of using freezer paper. Thanks for sharing
    ~Janelle

Curt
    January 6, 2012 at 7:17 am

freezer paper is great for other painting projects,silhouettes.small painting on pillow and clothing projects, quilt and any other applique projects.

you did a neat fantastic job on your drapes..

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com}
    January 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

This turned out perfect!!! what a great idea… your room is gorgeous!!!

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com}
    January 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

oh and I have a project party every weekend if you want to join here.. http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/01/vanilla-bean-iced-coffee-and-project.html
    Have a great day!
    -Rachel

thistlewoodfarm
    January 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Seriously….you are GENIUS! Thanks for the inspiration! I am pinning this! Those curtains are the best!

Modern Frills
    January 7, 2012 at 7:18 pm

absolutely beautiful! LOVE this idea!!!

Strawberries and Sweet Love
    January 8, 2012 at 4:30 am

They turned out beautiful! Great job! And this is the easiest way it seems.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com}
    January 9, 2012 at 6:37 am

Thanks for linking these up!!! I am featuring them tomorrow!

Inspire Me Heather
    January 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Um, wow! They look gorgeous and thanks for the tutorial – I’ve linked this to my freezer paper post too today, for inspiration!

Brittany @natural-nester.blogspot.com
    January 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

O I love this! I am planning on making some curtains like this in 2012…hopefully in the VERY NEAR FUTURE! And this is such a wonderful and helpful idea! Thank you so much! I will be doing white and burnt orange! I am so excited!

Allyson
    January 9, 2012 at 6:32 pm

This looks so great! I just found your blog through Tip Junkie, and this kind of post is definitely going to keep me coming back.
    I hope you’ll check out my blog, Cupcakes and Candy Canes!

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Allyson

Kristi
    January 10, 2012 at 4:25 am

That is pretty darn awesome! I’m seeing textile medium used more and more. I’m definitely going to have to try it!

Amanda Jones
    January 11, 2012 at 5:09 am

Freezer paper!! What a great tip!! I love your curtains, they turned out so great! I am stopping by from TT&J –

Amanda
    everycreativeendeavor.com

Sarah
    January 14, 2012 at 3:52 am

This is absolutely gorgeous! Great job!!

Stopping by from Remodelaholic’s linky party.

I’d love for you to stop by and visit me!

Sara Campbell
    January 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Love this, and I would love for you to share this on SaMiE’s first ever SURPRISE linky party, here’s the link http://samiedesigns.blogspot.com/p/samies-surprise-linky-parties.html

Kim @ Too Much Time
    January 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm

UM…YES! These are so dramatic and just great. By the way, those little scrabble pillows on your bed are too cute:)

If you have a sec come link up-my party is open till Monday night

WhisperWood Cottage
    January 18, 2012 at 1:26 am

I haven’t used freezer paper, but I guess I should! Great project and tutorial! They look great in the room! Thanks for linking up to the 1st Project of the Year Party!

Kelli
    February 2, 2012 at 4:17 am

oh my goodness, I absolutely love this! but, I have a question: I cannot cut (or draw) a straight line to save my life, so how did you cut your line so straight? I know you folded it and then cut on the fold, but I always get little jagged spots in my cuts when I do that. Any tips or tricks to share?? I really would love to try this! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sass - aka - Kathy
    February 6, 2012 at 3:48 am

Great job. I love it! Please consider sharing this with my readers over at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/02/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-10.html
    Hugs, Kathy

Sugarr2518
    February 22, 2012 at 3:08 am

They turned out just too cute! I want to do this:)

Charli B.
    February 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I just did a pair of my own panels this way! AQUA and white striped just like I have been dreaming about. This was a great tutorial and I appreciate you posting it. Few lessons – i ran my roller all the way down one side of the stripe; a few inches on paper and the rest on fabric (side to side). Did this on both sides then went from top down (paper to fabric) and bottom up (again paper to fabric) to meet in the middle of the stripe. Moving two directions on the fabric helped make sure that the nap of the fabric soaked the paint in. You can easily see areas where the “grain” of the fabric show and they need to be painted over again.

Miss Charming
    May 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Wow! These turned out great! I’m looking through your blog and keep finding tutorials to projects I’ve wanted to do. Really wonderful blog!

Heather Alverson
    May 6, 2012 at 2:44 am

Oh, I love these!!!! I am heading to the store to get freezer peper now!

Stephanie
    May 12, 2012 at 1:04 am

Bold and beautiful. I love the way they turned out.

Mel Tales
    June 2, 2012 at 4:38 am

I’ve been wanting to do striped curtains for a while but just haven’t attempted it! I LOVE your tutorial!!! Thanks for sharing! They turned out awesome!!!

Morgan
    June 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm

These look so amazing! What a great idea to use freezer paper! You did a great job 🙂

Heather
    June 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm

How cool are these!!! 🙂 I LOVE them a lot!!!
    New follower!!

jaimep
    July 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm

What’s the purpose of the freezer paper? I don’t understand why you use it.

Mel
    September 1, 2012 at 1:51 am

That’s fantastic, did you have any bleeding?

Michelle Smith
    September 25, 2012 at 11:38 am

The diy striped curtain given here are useful. You can learn all about it

Curtain

Carissa Rasmussen
    October 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

fabulous. I wonder if it would work with a more complex pattern? basically a diy stencil. I love how they turned out

Theresa Simoneaux
    July 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Just discovered this tutorial. I’m wondering if freezer paper would work on burlap. (rubbing chin)

Mandy
    September 14, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Ok, have you washed them yet? Im wondering how they look after washing them? I’m wanting to do this, I need 16 panels!! Oh boy oh boy!