DIY Topiary Trees Tutorial

I want to share with you these topiary trees I made for my Valentine’s Mantel. I cannot WAIT to show you the whole thing. I finished it today and I’m in LOVE! What’s Valentine’s day without some LOVE anyway!? ;)
Here we go!
DIY Topiary Tree Tutorial

1.  First, get a 6″ styrofoam ball and a wooden dowel. Shove that dowel into the styrofoam carefully not to go all the way through. Then let your kids sword fight with their friends… ha!
 2. Then take your pot (I used a cheapo clay pot from wal-mart. It was around $1) then fill it with florist’s foam blocks and wedge them in your pot nice and tight. This doesn’t have to be tidy… no one will see it when you’re done!
3. Next, make a zillion rosettes using streamers (crepe paper). Got mine at Hobby Lobby, then ran out and the hubs picked some up for me at the Dollar Tree. Worked great so hit up the $1 store!

Cut about a yard of paper, fold it in half (hot dog style – hehe!) and start rolling and rolling…. then glue your rosette to your ball using hot glue.

4. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat….
topiary collage

5. Finally, I added pearls to the centers using hot glue and painted the dowel with brown and tan craft paint.  Add some moss in your pot to cover the foam and viola! DONE! I made two for my mantel.

mantel

Have a fantastic weekend my friends! How do you like it?
Mallory Sig

Image Map

About Mallory & Savannah

Welcome to our blog! We’re so glad you’re here! We are Mallory and Savannah and we are the brains behind Classy Clutter, a one-stop-shop for all things creative. Classy Clutter keeps us connected from Arizona to New York. We hope you’ll enjoy our blog and come back often for inspiration, tips and tutorials. Thanks for stopping by!

13 Responses to DIY Topiary Trees Tutorial

1. Very cute! Love the pearls!

2. ninah bee... says:

I LOVE this!!! You just don’t know how much you’ve helped me…my daughter is having an Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party, and how perfect would these be with some of the decor??? And it’s so easy! Thank You Thank You Thank You! LOL

3. Heidi says:

That is SO cute!!! Pinning….

4. This turned out great! Good job. I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party!

5. Lindsi B says:

I found you on Tip Junkie. Would you please share this with my readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays Valentine’s Linky Party? I think it would be a great fit. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays.html

6. Angie Church says:

so very pretty and loved that the little ones were involved in the creation come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

7. Super cute! I’m working on some paper flowers too for Valentine’s! I love the crepe paper flowers and their so easy to make once you get a little practice on the first two or three. :)

8. So pretty! I’ve been making rosette balls for our church’s Valentine’s banquet, but I love the look of the topiary, too!

9. Mariel says:

This is just beautiful! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at ‘Or so she says …’ Hope to see you there! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

10. Vanessa says:

Adorable! The pearls are a great touch :)

Vanessa recently posted…DIY | Beaded Leaf HeadbandMy Profile

11. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Decorations | Lashes and Dashes

12. Hello, I loved your tutorial so much that I did a blog post on it on my blog LashesandDashes. I did a little different take on it and would love for you to check it out! Here is the link https://lashesanddashes.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/valentines-day-decorations/ Thanks!
    Lashes and Dashes recently posted…Valentine’s Day DecorationsMy Profile