How to paint stripes on your wall

How to paint perfect stripes on the wall.jpg
Painting stripes on your wall can be a daunting task. I promise you, it’s not very hard! I have tried several methods and found the easiest way to do it!
I started with this. I really love my dresser turned tv console and I swear I have the PERFECT grey for me! Grey is a hard color to find the perfect shade but I lucked out here! I LOVE the paint color in my living room!
Step 1: When painting stripes on a wall, you’re going to first paint the wall a solid color. I did the entire room grey and wanted to add white stripes on one wall as an accent wall.  I used Glidden’s Pebble Grey from Wal-Mart.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color!
Step 2:  Next, comes measuring and taping! My goodness, this can be difficult but I figured out an amazing system to make this easier! I DID NOT use a laser leveler. I heard that it was a nightmare and honestly, I didn’t even want to try since I know others that didn’t have good luck with it.
I started at the top of my wall against the ceiling and measured 9″ down and used a sharpie (couldn’t find a pencil!) and made a tiny mark at 9″.  Then, I scooted down about 6 inches and repeated this step all the way down the wall. I repeated this step all the way across the wall and then started on the next stripe down. I ended up with 5 white stripes and 5 grey stripes.
**NOTE** This method is only accurate if you do NOT have a slanted or vaulted ceiling! My ceiling is level to the ground so I was able to use the ceiling and baseboards as a guide.
I wrote a “w” for “white” on the wall so just to keep everything straight. I’m a labeler so this helped me stay on track.
Step 3: Next, I taped off the sides of the wall on the “white” labeled stripes to get a clean look against my other grey wall.  If you are doing stripes on multiple or all of your walls this step isn’t necessary!

Step 4: Check your measurements, use a leveler (or your level iPhone app!) to make sure your stripes are nice and straight and level! Measure twice, Paint Once!
I used a popsicle stick to smooth out the bubbles in the tape. A credit card works well too!  I just had a popsicle stick laying on the floor next to me thanks to my 2 year old ~ LOL!
Step 5: This is probably the BEST tip I have ever heard! I read on Emily A. Clark that her painter advised her to use a nearly dry paint brush (a dry brush with very little paint) to LIGHTLY coat the edges of your stripe where the painter’s tape is. I did this and let it dry and then used a Dollar Tree trim roller to roll the rest of the stripe and my lines came out AMAZINGLY straight. It did not bleed ANYWHERE! Boo to the yah!!!

Finally, when you’re done painting, you want to peel of the painter’s tape before it is totally dry.  I get impatient and peel it off pretty much right away and I was BLOWN AWAY that my lines were perfect! No bleeding at all! It was amazing!

Not gonna lie, I LOVE IT! I was so proud of myself to do it while my hubby was at school! I ran out of paint and he brought me some more on his way home and helped me with the last little bit of painting! I could tell he was skeptical when I told him I was doing stripes on the wall but he said he really likes it! YAY!
One more time for kicks…
and…
What do ya think!? Have you painted stripes?? Send me an email or leave a comment if you have any questions! I was really nervous to begin b/c I heard that it was super challenging but it really wasn’t! I couldn’t be happier with it!
Update: I painted stripes in my hallway, comparing two stripe painting methods! See which method is best here.
Update: I’ve done a little redecorating and I love the stripes even more with the coral tv console. The white dresser turned tv stand now lives in my new craft studio.
Mallory Sig

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Image Map

Let's be besties!

Yay!!_250px

Heeey friend! Subscribe to join our tribe! We'll make sure you're up to date on all things Home and DIY!

xo, Mallory & Savannah

Powered by ConvertKit

Angie
    August 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Looks awesome Mal! I did pink and white stripes in Navy’s room and love it! We used the green painters tape cuz it sticks better and had no bleeding at all! Just another idea!

Jen
    August 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I have been struggling with what to do in my office. & this is it!
    Love how it turned out!!!

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com
    August 19, 2011 at 1:26 am

These look great! I love the gray and white together as well. I have not tried the horizontal yet but I am sure I will eventually. I however have done the checkers, the vertical stripes and the diamond patter that for some reason I can’t think of the name right now lol. Darn. Anywho they are all a pain in the rump lol. But so worth it in the end. You made it look easy peasy 🙂

Deb
    Dejarenew.blogspot.com

I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes
    August 19, 2011 at 1:45 am

I love it! The stripes are stunning! Man I love gray! Such a good color!

Jill
    August 19, 2011 at 3:29 am

Great job Mallory! Gives me some motivation to do some stripes somewhere. They are so fun. Your new house is looking adorable!

The Talley Family
    August 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I LOVE it! You’re right, that’s the perfect color of gray.

Shawnie
    August 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Wow this looks great. Everytime I try to paint and use the blue tape for clean lines, it always bleeds through and becomes a mess. Is this dry brush teqnique the key to getting around that? Would LOVE any tips you have on that, I don’t have much faith in the blue painters tape, especially if you have wall with any type of texture… So I would love any tips on that. Thanks!!

Sabrina Auge
    August 20, 2011 at 2:25 am

love it mal!! looks great

Allison @ House of Hepworths
    August 25, 2011 at 2:20 am

I featured you this week at my Hookin Up with HoH party!

Feel free to stop by and grab a button if you’d like!

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

KellyH
    August 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Your stripes are PERFECT for sure! Love it!!

Donna@My Sweet Things
    September 1, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Hello! I hopped on over from Lemon Tree. I painted my hallway gray a few months ago and I am in love with the color. Can you have too many gray walls? lol Stripes are on my list to attempt. You did a great job! I love the new look.

Ellie
    September 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Looks good!!! I can never get my lines to be perfect. Visiting from Lemon Tree

Megan
    September 6, 2011 at 11:22 am

They turned out fantastic, love your choice of colors!

Claudia
    September 6, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I LOVE this! I am too chicken to brave stripes yet. I want to do it really really badly as I think it gives a room some attitude, but I don’t have the guts! lol.

Natalie Catherine of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com
    September 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I loveee how this turned out! bookmarking..because I already have the paint and tape ready to go for this project..just waiting for the guts. haha.

Phill
    September 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Wow, striping that wall made a big difference in that room. To help you with your striping, making it easier with the width, there is a new painting tool called the U-Stripe It & Design Tool. Who ever loves the stripes and want to paint them, check this site out. All you will need is the Delicate painters tape and this tool. Mallory’s project then becomes easy to do and Everyone will be able to do it. http://www.ustripeit.com

A Lived in Home
    October 9, 2011 at 3:48 pm

The stripes look fabulous and really make the room! come visit me-

sstone
    October 10, 2011 at 1:03 am

We just decided to do stripes on our dining room wall, so this was really helpful. Esp the dry brush part. Thank you so much! You’ve been pinned.:)
    everydaygameplan.net

Polka Dot Bungalow
    October 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm

So lovely! Thank you for sharing tutorial! I just {LOVE} stripes on walls!! Thank you again! Have a beautiful and blessed Fall!

I’ll be sharing this tutorial with my lovelies over at my {Marvelous Monday} today, feel free to check it out!

{HUGS},
    Stephanie

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity
    October 24, 2011 at 2:16 am

Nice modern touch to your living room.

ajoyfuldwelling
    November 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

love the stripes!

Christy
    January 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Ha! I bought some sample paint pots today and one was Pebble Grey and it turns out to be my fave. 😉 Good eye! I’m also doing stripes just not in white.

Phillip Menendez
      January 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Phillip Menendez
      January 25, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Christy, take a look at this new amazing design tool called the U-Stripe It & Design Tool. It is so easy to paint stripes on your walls using this tool. With this tool you don’t have to worry about putting marks on your walls or making sure every line you do is the correct measurement. It does it for you, while you take all of the credit, looking as if a professional painter did the stripes in your room. http://www.ustripeit.com

Stephanie
    September 1, 2012 at 2:46 am

Another great tutorial! Wow you girls can rock the home decorating department! I love the tips you gave, one of these days I am going to do a stripe or chevron wall.

Renee Hagloch
    September 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Great tutorial! I would love for you link this up at my first LINK PARTY!

Scott Davidson
    September 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

If you want to make your home really look really beautiful , paintings are the best way to do it believe home looks very well decorated . If you are looking to find Oil Paintings Reproductions at very economical price or cheap rates, you must visit wahooart.com

jeremy
    October 25, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Perfect wall as i describe it.

carpet cleaning phoenix

diana kelvin
    April 2, 2013 at 4:05 am

Wow!!! It’s awesome! Wall Panels

levia jack
    April 12, 2013 at 7:46 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Carrie
    April 15, 2013 at 8:19 am

I appreciate your creative thought to decorate your home. Wall lighting

DIY Homework and Art Station
    January 2, 2014 at 10:36 pm

[…] The playroom has been needing a uplift for sometime now. With some help of my sister and friend, I repainted the whole room white then I added the black stripes. You can learn how to paint perfect horizontal stripes here. […]

Oh Baby! Nursery Plans and Budget | View From The Fridge
    January 8, 2014 at 6:30 am

[…] {source} […]

Coral and Mint Living Room Reveal -
    March 6, 2014 at 9:54 pm

[…] moving in, I have painted the room twice. Once a pretty grey (Glidden – Pebble Grey) with a striped accent wall and hallway. Now, we have a crisp white (Behr – Swiss Coffee) room with a Mandilicious, […]

Khaleel
    April 6, 2015 at 10:19 am

Hello. I have popcorn ceiling in the room I am doing stripes in. How do I accomplish the stripes being straight when the popcorn ceiling makes it difficult to measure down? Should I use the baseboards? Please help?

Anna Picket
    April 6, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Measuring from the ceiling isn’t a bad way to measure the stripes on the wall. I’ve never tried painting anything besides a solid color, but it would be fun to add more interest to our living room. Luckily for us, I’m pretty sure our ceiling is level to our floor as well, so this method should work. We should give it a try. If it doesn’t work out, we can always hire a professional to fix it for us.

Kim
    April 27, 2016 at 6:54 am

I love your stripped wall tips. Can’t wait to try.You

Kate
    September 20, 2016 at 4:30 am

I did something similar in our first home when we were too impoverished to afford paint. We had a couple of part-used tins of magnolia and grey paint in the cellar, but not enough of either to do the whole room, which was plain boring white. I did a wall at a time, so I knew I had enough paint to finish, and alternated grey, white, magnolia vertical stripes all round the room on three walls, but varied the width of the stripes. It looked really classy when it was done! (the white were just not painted lol)