Tiffany Blue Dresser Makeover

I don’t know about you, but when I see this box my heart skips a beat! I only have 2-3 things from Tiffany’s but I LOVE TIFFANY’S! This beautiful little box was my inspiration for my latest project!
I found this on the side the road that said “FREE IF YOU TAKE IT NOW!!!” so I flipped a “U-ey” and hopped out to snag it before they changed their mind!
With my church dress, high heeled boots and all, I (allll by myself!) lifted this dresser, a bookcase and a twin headboard into my truck! I LOOOVVEEEE free furniture!!!
PS. I also love that my hubby bought me a sweet truck for moments such as this! πŸ™‚
Here’s how I found it:

Hunny, I’m not sure what this mysterious stain is but be a dear and get me some Clorox wipes!!!!
It needed a little constructive work so I asked my personal handyman handyMEN! Daddy and his little helpers! He reenforced the bottom of the drawer with some small trim nails and remounted the track for the top drawer.
 I’m so thankful to the Jr. High girl that embellished this beauty with stickers and broke one of the drawers because her Mama decided to kick it to the curb!
My sister in law, Jodi wanted me to re-do this piece for her new room, I got it for free anyway. I agreed and she helped me with the project.
We scraped off the stickers, SCRUBBED it down really good, had hubby fix the minor constructive issues and we were ready to proceed!
I primed it with Kilz Spray Primer. My favorite primer.
Then, I sprayed it with Krylon Ocean Breeze. A blogland favorite for good reason! Its so perrtyy!
I used a sponge brush and hand painted the edges of all the detail and curves with this Folk Art Metallic Pearl White. It highlighted the details beautifully! This just MADE it!
I sprayed the hardware with Metallic Aluminum and sprayed the whole thing with Minwax Polycrylic in Satin.
Here’s what I got!

I wish it was mine. I love it!
So, have you painted anything Krylon’s Ocean Breeze?

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

April 16, 2011 at 8:22 am

Amazing job, absolutely beautiful:-)
    Hugs, Biljana

April 16, 2011 at 11:28 am

Oh.my.gosh. I LOOOOOOVE this piece! What a stunning job you did transforming it!

April 16, 2011 at 8:01 am

Yes, I remember when you found this. So glad I was kind of a part of it. AND I have painted something with that wonderful blue. Remember when I redid my bike last summer? That is the color I painted it. I was riding around the city last weekend and it was a real show stopper.

April 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Just GORGEOUS! I’m am color phobic so I live vicariously through people like you lol. I love how bright it is!

April 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I hope you will share this at my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-11.html

April 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Love it!

April 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Love it! That turned out fantastic….we are thankful for Lisa Frank stickers. hee hee

IngaΒ΄s Haven
    April 16, 2011 at 11:56 pm

wow simply amazing – itΒ΄s a shame itΒ΄s not yours :/
    pretty pretty πŸ˜€

April 17, 2011 at 12:01 am

I can never seem to find such wonderful free stuff on the side of the road-you are very lucky! Love, love, love the Tiffany inspired look-it’s just perfect!

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating
    April 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Visiting from FJI! That color is STUNNING!! I’ve been searching Craigslist for something just like this, so I’m a bit jealous that you got this for free. Amazing. All of the silver touches are the icing on the cake!!

I’ve started a weekly link party on Sundays over at Addicted 2 Decorating. I hope you’ll come link up your project!!

April 26, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Soooo cute! Great makeover—found you through Better After.

April 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

This is beautiful!! Great job, love the metallic accents.

April 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I love it! Great job!

April 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I love anything Tiffany’s, and this is as pretty as anything I’ve seen in their store!
    I found you through Better After.

April 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm

May 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm

The dresser is beautiful. Almost as adorable as your little helpers πŸ™‚ Good job. Love the color.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality
    May 17, 2011 at 12:08 pm

That looks beautiful now! I did paint a small side table in Ocean Breeze, great color!

Crystal (theweekendhomemaker.com)
    May 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm

great job. I can’t believe that was spray painted. Looks awesome!

Steph @ BirdhouseFamily
    May 17, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Looks great! I love the detailing.

May 22, 2011 at 7:36 am

beautiful! did you sand it at all?

May 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I just used this tutorial to do my daughter’s dresser that is exactly like this one (except hers has 3 drawers, not 4). It turned out beautifully & I blogged about it at: http://adayinthelifeofamomandawife.blogspot.com/2011/05/making-progress-finished-dresser.html and I also sent my readers over here to check out your original πŸ™‚ Thanks again for this. My 3 year old princess is in LOVE with her new dresser & keeps showing it off & talking about it to everyone she meets!

Lesli at My Old Country House
    June 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

LOVE THIS, I have a similar piece that was on the way out the door, I may head out and get me some ocean breeze!!! Thanks for the beauty!!!

spearmint baby
    June 11, 2011 at 1:13 am

This turned out gorgeous! i love it!

June 12, 2011 at 4:35 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 12, 2011 at 4:36 am

I love this! I was at an awesome consignment store today and they have a whole set of this old white 70’s furniture, exactly like the piece you did here, it was $200 for a huge dreser, side table and head/footboard, i want it but have no where to put it so I’ll live vicariously through this post! Love the bold color and detail!

Beth @ Free Stylin'
    July 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Wow!! This turned out so beautiful – you did an amazing job! Love the price, too!!

September 9, 2011 at 5:58 am

That’s so beautiful. I can’t tell you how much I want that in my house. I love the details and color. Just lovely.

Natalie Cross
    September 23, 2011 at 2:16 am

LOVE! i’m featuring this tomorrow! http://beachhouseinthecity.blogspot.com

September 27, 2011 at 9:44 pm

So gorgeous!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin’ party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-6.html

Jenny @ Simcoe Street
    October 4, 2011 at 3:10 am

GORGEOUS! Pinning this one πŸ™‚

October 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

this is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! great job.

October 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

ps. love your blog! i’m your newest follower.

Good Time Charlie
    October 22, 2011 at 4:35 am

I have a dresser just like this in my garage, I hadn’t even thought to go this color. I might have to steal this idea. How cute it is! Come link up with me if you get a chance! Friday-Sunday.

October 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love it!! It looks so fun and pretty. The silver is just the right touch! I’d love if you linked it up to my party!!

November 27, 2011 at 3:30 am

This looks fabulous! ahhhhh! I love it so much!

November 28, 2011 at 5:01 am

This turned out awesome! Newest follower πŸ™‚

December 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I love this beautiful piece!

Sarah Grace
    December 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm

That is fab!

December 28, 2011 at 12:27 am

Beautiful. I, too, love Tiffany’s blue boxes and this is such a close shade.

January 13, 2012 at 4:00 am

Take me away Ocean Breeze! I need some of that Krylon stuff!

Very cute!

Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed’s Linky Party- thanks for sharing πŸ˜€
    Smiles, Suzanne in NW Illinois at WHYCUZICAN

January 15, 2012 at 2:44 am

Gorgeous!!! You did a fabulous job!

Kelli Hoopes-Frueh
    February 7, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Absolutely gorgeous—had to Pin it.:)

A To Zebra Celebrations
    February 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

Ohhhhh I have the ugliest dresser that I bought at a garage sale….i need to do this….thank you for inspiring me!!! LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!

April 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

WOW! What a great find!!! This turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!!! Great job. Great colour choice.

April 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I had this exact dresser when I was a kid. My mom still has 2 twin headboards, 2 dressers and a vanity with a mirror at her house. She said I could have any of them that I want. I’m so going to do this for one (maybe both) of the dressers.

Our Pinteresting Family
    April 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Megan

Cherub Cottage
    April 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm

All I can say is WOW!!! that transformation was awesome….You know I have this exact nightstand it was mine brand new in the 70’s I actually had the entire set even the canopy bed…all from good old Sears. Any how I was thinking of donating it and now you have inspired me to give it the makeover it deserves and keep it in the family… thank you so much πŸ™‚

June 8, 2012 at 1:09 am

what if you a dresser that’s more like, shiny, laminated wood? would you sand that down or just paint it like it is?

June 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

omg it looks amazing

July 16, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I bought this paint color with the intent to repaint my upstairs bath cabinet, but I used paint I already had because I was also reusing old tile I had taken up from an earlier project. Most of my house has blue on the walls. Beautiful job πŸ™‚

Kathryn Depew
    September 16, 2012 at 12:06 am

This is so nice – my husband grew up with a dresser just like this in his bedroom. He painted it in white edged with gold, and it turned out beautifully. Next time it needs paint, though, I’m going to suggest this blue!

Kathryn J Cain
    October 9, 2012 at 3:09 am

I have not used spray paint…hmmmmm the work of hand painting spray….hmmmm
    I have done a lot of stuff in shades of turquoise….but you got me thinking Tiffany blue and Audrey Hepburn…hmmmm I have a dresser….how can I put the two together…hmmmmm green tape around the drawer fronts and a bow….then stencil Tiffany….hmmmm….I am thinking….and thanks for the inspirations

Emily Malsam
    January 15, 2013 at 4:30 am

My daughter has this bedroom suite, I’d LOVE to paint it but I’m terrified I will ruin it or quit halfway through lol

Colorful Furniture Makeovers
    May 13, 2013 at 8:00 am

[…] Tiffany Blue Dresser Makeover – See my tutorial here. […]

August 31, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Such a beautiful transformation! I love the color. If you get a chance, please link up to my link party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunday-linky-23.html
    suburbsmama recently posted…Sunday Linky #23My Profile

February 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

I just got this exact same dresser, I was googling “upcycled tiffany blue dresser” and ran across this, LOVE IT!!!

April 4, 2014 at 2:51 pm

So, I TOTALLY got the full set of this exact style and color from my grandpa for free!! I have a head board, desk, chair, night stand, dresser, mirror, and hope chest. To say the least, I have a LOT of painting. I love the style of the furniture but EW, cream and gold…. looks awful. (BTW it was my Aunt’s when she was a child in the 60s so we have very awesome retro furniture)
    So I painted all of it a very light/bright yellow… and I was thinking of brushing a charcoal gray over it to give it more of a texture but I really don’t even know how to do it to make it look good… Any suggestions?

April 4, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hi Tarah!

That’s awesome! How lucky to have a full set! I would suggest glazing it (you could do a charcoal grey glaze!) to bring out the details if you’re wanting to add more texture and depth to the furniture! Good luck!!! xoxo – Mallory @ Classy Clutter

The Painted Lady, a DIY painted furniture project: Part 3
    November 11, 2014 at 11:16 pm

[…] from Classy Clutter, took a very similar chest of drawers and turned it into a Tiffany-blue dream. Her finishing and […]

Leslie Pease
    March 25, 2016 at 10:25 am

I have this exact dresser. I found it at a yardsale for $20. It has a few more scuffs. I plan to paint it in Annie Sloan’s French Linen and Old White. I’m still not sure about how to finish the drawer pulls. Two years after I picked this up, I found the matching shorter, wider dresser for $10 at a yard sale one town over. I’m making them my bedroom set. The only hang up I have is a couple of the drawer pulls are broken beyond repair. I think I’ve found some on eBay that may work. We’ll see. You did a beautiful job on this!

March 25, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Thank you! That sounds like it will look great! Ya I hope he is able to fix it! Thanks for stopping by!