Classic Black Console Makeover

As promised! Here it is, My Pottery Barn inspired buffet cabinet!
This is the 2nd roadkill rescue I’ve had lately! My handsome Mr. just found me another one the other day too…(which I’ll show you later!) I have been saving furniture all over the place!
This little HUGE guy was on its way to the dump after my neighbor’s yard sale showed no signs of a new home for him. I stopped my truck as she was putting everything away and hopped out.
The sweet lady saw me kneel down to open the cabinet door and said
“If you want that thing, you can HAVE it!” dripping with sarcasm…
I felt bad (only for a minute) to just TAKE this from her so I asked…
“oh, no I can’t do that. How much do you want for it??”
She responded exactly how I hoped with..
“Oh dear, it’s been in my garage for years. I’ll have my son load it in your truck. Oh and here are some (like 10!) toy trucks for your boys!”
What the what??!?! OKAY!!!! DEAL! Scoooore!!!!
She must have seen the Hallelujah choir singing behind me as I lit up with excitement!  She smiled sweetly and went inside to get her son. I was ecstatic to say the least.
I sanded it down and removed the hardware.  My lil sis, Jodi helped me hand paint it. I used one of these handy little do-ma-floch-ees (actual technical term) for most of it. It worked like a dream on the flat surfaces. Have you tried these on furniture? You must!
source
I used Ace Hardware’s Royal paint in “Cannon ball” to paint 2 coats. Then once it dried completely, I used a 120 grit sheet of sandpaper to distress the areas I wanted the wood color to show through.
I added some pulls I had removed from my son’s nursery dresser! I really like how it looks on this piece.
 I love this little spring vignette going on.
    My Mother-in-Law bought it from me before I even finished! I think it looks fab in her living room! Like it?
I think the finish looks pretty dang close to my inspiration from PB.
What do you think? Pretty close eh?
Pottery Barn Black Furniture Finish Tutorial - www.classyclutter.net

Shop this project with text

Before you go...

Kat
    April 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm

SCORE on the Free price tag! I love your finished product!!! Think it’s very similar to your inspiration photo.

willie and camie shill
    April 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

you girls are so busy and all your stuff is great! you can’t beat FREE

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL
    April 27, 2011 at 6:52 pm

BEAUTIFUL… LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT..

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
    April 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

i love the weight and elegance of this piece! it makes a grand statement!

Jen
    April 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Seriously AWESOME find!!!! & Love what you did to it!!!!

PicturePerfectPixies
    April 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I think it is right on! Great find!

Heather@The Black's Best
    April 27, 2011 at 10:04 pm

This turned out beautifully! I am jealous because I’ve been looking for something like this for-ev-er!

thegreatestshowonearth
    April 27, 2011 at 7:57 pm

well done spal. only a few more pieces to find to finance your trip SF!

Jamielyn@Iheartnaptime
    April 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm

oh my gosh LOVE it!! You are amazing Mal!! It looks BETTER than PB!

Decor & Harmony @ 4290
    May 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Wow it looks really, really NICE! It’s such a stately piece. Stop by for a blog visit 🙂

Miss Kitty
    September 4, 2011 at 1:07 am

It turned out beautifully! SO MUCH better than the original. Thanks for sharing your how-to! I saw your post over at “Under the Table and Dreaming” .

HI THERE!
    September 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

It looks beautiful! Who would have guessed that it was free {I can imagine what that PB price tag would be!} If you get a chance, I would love for you to share this at my link party, The Creative Spark, on Tuesday night. Hope you have a great long weekend!
    Jenn 🙂

Jennifer
    October 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Absolutely gorgeous <3 <3 <3 Quite a score!

Chrissy
    October 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I love black furniture!! This is an amazing piece!! I found you on a linky party!

Jessica
    October 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love it! I am in search of a great buffet and will use your results as inspiration. Great job!

faith
    October 30, 2011 at 4:37 am

Absolutely perfect. I never get deals like that. I can’t even get the different people to write back if there item is still avail or if I can look at it on Craig’s lists. It’s so annoying.

Jodie
    December 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm

even better than the Pottery Barn !!

Cara@TheSheetBoutique
    January 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Spectacular! I bet the giver would swoon if she could see it now!

Melysa - Moments with the Montanos
    February 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I love it and would be happy to have it at my house! Amazing rescue!!

223364bc-6a41-11e1-8bff-000bcdca4d7a
    March 9, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I like your buffet better! The Pottery Barn original pales in comparison!

Julie
    May 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Huge Score! Good for you! It looks great 🙂

Julie
    May 20, 2012 at 5:26 pm

PS….I am going to share your post on my FB pages!

Patricia @ ButterYum
    May 24, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Spotted this on Pinterest. What a fabulous transformation – beautiful!!!

Ana
    May 30, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Hello,

What sheen did you use? Semi-gloss?

Thanks!

Patty M
    October 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Looks great and I’m going to be painting some pieces just like this. May I ask if you used flat, satin or semi-glass (it looks like flat or satin) and did you use a wax or any kind of polyurethane coating over it? Does it hold up to wear and tear? Thanks!!

Missy Langley
      December 2, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I have the same question as Patty M. I have painted my hutch black (Valspar-Lowes satin finish) but don’t have a top coat on it as it looks too shiny- So please do share once painted did you use a soft wax ( Lowes paint department had never heard of this stuff??) and if poly what kind ( is it sprayed on too is my other question….The piece is so pretty.

I would like to email you a picture of the hutch to get your opinion on it…..as …. ( when I wipe my hand across it-it leaves a white chalky like mark)??? So I know it needs some kind of final coating…

Thank you very much as I love your work!!!! 😛
      Missy Langley

Pottery Barn Inspired Black Finish | Home to Home DIY Home to Home DIY
    June 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm

[…] Classy Clutter: Pottery Barn Inspired Black Finish […]

Home to Home DIY
    June 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I hope it’s okay that we featured this on our site today. It’s stunning. We gave you photo credit as well as linked everyone over to your blog to check it out 🙂

White and Gold Dresser- Master Bedroom PART 1
    June 5, 2014 at 3:18 pm

[…] Pottery Barn Finish […]

Epiphany
    June 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Love this! You did an awesome job.

shannon
    July 6, 2014 at 12:07 pm

How did U prepare the piece before painting it? It looks wonderful!

catherine parrish
    August 26, 2014 at 11:44 am

I laso want to ask if you used flat, satin or semi-glass and did you use a wax or any kind of polyurethane coating over it?

Deborah
    September 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

Same questions here – what was your prep work before painting? Did you degloss or sand? Also did you use a wax or a poly after, and if so what type of finish was it – satin or semi gloss? It’s just lovely and I am mid stream of doing exactly the same thing in an expresso color so would love more info. Thanks!!

Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations
    September 26, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Love this makeover so much. I’m featuring it, and you on my blog today as one of my favorite five. Beautiful job!
    Have a great weekend!

Robin
    Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations recently posted…Vanity and Bench MakeoverMy Profile

Amber
    January 27, 2015 at 1:20 pm

So I’m a few years late, but I just found you in a Google search and am loving your blog here!

But despite being 4 years late, I just HAD to comment and say that your piece is so much better than the pottery barn one! Kudos!!

January 27, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Thanks Amber! Welcome to our blog! Hope you like it and visit often!

xoxo – Mallory & Savannah

Janice
    February 23, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Hi Mallory,
    I have never painted ANY piece of furniture and I have a triple dresser (Thomasville)with the same type of finish as your street “find”…Oak. I couldn’t find anywhere on the blog as to the steps to take when painting. I did find where someone used 150 grit sandpaper and spray painted a cream color buffet….however your DIY used a flat type pad. Can you direct me to where it may be listed on your blog, what type of paint? Did you prime first? Did you use a finishing wax?

I LOVE your site and would like to learn more as I don’t want to ruin a quality piece of furniture.

Thanks SOOO Much!

Cara
    March 4, 2015 at 7:37 am

What paint did you use on this? It is beautiful!

Missy
    March 22, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I have the same questions as the others….what sheen was the paint? Eggshell, flat, semi? And was a wax coating used? Looks great and would love to do this project, just can’t tell what finish. Help!

March 23, 2015 at 11:01 am

Hi Missy! I used a satin finish with a polycrylic clear coat on top! Hope that helps! 🙂

Jody
    March 26, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Very nice! I think it looks even better than the Pottery Barn piece!

Pat Bradley
    June 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Great job Mallory and wonderful ideas. I’ll be watching for more successful projects from you girl. You’re the bomb!

Jessie
    June 11, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Nice job. I am looking for a antique gueen size bed.

Sara
    July 28, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Did you sand it down by hand or with an electrical sander? What grit was used?

Kathy from CT
    March 17, 2016 at 6:33 am

Love it….and I am NOT a fan of painted furniture. Can you please outline the specific steps you took @ exactly what products you used? I want to do this same thing to wood file cabinets I scored for free.

Thanks in advance.

Linda
    April 1, 2016 at 5:02 am

Re: Potery Barn look alike black dresser. I am a bit late to this blog. I am inspired by the redo of the oak dresser. I don’t see the list of products used at the end of the blog. I have the same questions as others. Did you sand and prime the dresser befor paining? And what finish is the paint?
    Thank you for the inspiration.